Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does facial hair continue to grow past 22? Watch

I'm 21 going 22 but I am not happy with my level of facial hair. I have it on the moustache area at a reasonable density (although if I were to grow it, it would look a bit ****), on the chin and a little bit on the sideburn area. On my cheeks, there is some hair, but it is barely noticeable unless you are looking close up.

I'm white, if that's any help.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Does it continue to grow? lol of course it does. Why do you think blokes have to shave every day if they want to not have a beard?

My husband had a cut throat barber shave in October 2008, and he was as smooth as a baby's bum. He kept it up for about 6 months after that, and then decided to re-grow his beard. Within a short period of time he was fully bearded again.

Haven't you ever watched Castaway? haha. Tom Hanks starts off smooth-shaven, and ends up worse than Barry Gibb!

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP means does it continue to get thicker after this age. I believe the answer is yes.

(Original post by modini)
      I think the OP means does it continue to get thicker after this age. I believe the answer is yes.
      I hope so. My own facial hair is rubbish; I can grow massive sideburns, but only a small beard, and half a moustache (no middle).

ReputationRep:
      I bloody hope so too.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      I hope so. My own facial hair is rubbish; I can grow massive sideburns, but only a small beard, and half a moustache (no middle).
      Lol, an inverted Hitler.

ReputationRep:
      It may grow a little bit thicker.. but at the age of 22, you should have a fairly good idea of how your facial hair will look for your adulthood. If it's not very thick now, it most probably never will be.

ReputationRep:
      I'm 22 and my facial hair needs to increase. Good sideys, tash, chin and neck, but then theres a gap and then like a little square on each cheek. Looks wierd

ReputationRep:
      Lol, an inverted Hitler.
      xD :rofl3: it really made me laugh
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      I hope not.

ReputationRep:
      Yes it does.

Lol, an inverted Hitler.
        Heh, exactly... a little bit embarrassing, but I gave it a go anyway.

ReputationRep:
        The more you shave the thicker it gets. Im 21 and mine ain't got nothing on what my dads is like. My brother is only a year and a bit older, but because he used to shave every day since 16, his is allot thicker. I'm a lazy ******* and only shave once a week. You want it to get better, shave everyday for a year. Then, you will be a man.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
        Does it continue to grow? lol of course it does. Why do you think blokes have to shave every day if they want to not have a beard?

My husband had a cut throat barber shave in October 2008, and he was as smooth as a baby's bum. He kept it up for about 6 months after that, and then decided to re-grow his beard. Within a short period of time he was fully bearded again.

Haven't you ever watched Castaway? haha. Tom Hanks starts off smooth-shaven, and ends up worse than Barry Gibb!
        You stupid girl. You really think he meant that once it's shaved it will never appear again?

I hope your husband is smart, for your children's sake.

ReputationRep:
        Every beard you grow will be slightly more consistently distributed than the previous one, yes.

ReputationRep:
        Yeah, I could grow a thick chin beard and tasche if I wanted these days but the sideys never really develop and just look pubic even at my advanced age.

Sadly my facial hair comes out looking Ginger which doesn't match my head hair at all... and also it's got more greys in it than my head hair too.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tootles)

No hair in the philtrum is cool brah, dont knock it

ReputationRep:
        I hope mine doesn't

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Urkel)
        Nope - that's just a common misconception. Shaving does not alter the thickness or speed of hair growth.
        I know I can't believe most people still think this.

However if you want to grow a beard, and keep it trimmed, with a beard trimmer then it is true that 'the more you trim the thicker it gets' but not because the trimming thickens it up, but because facial hair follicles grow at different rates, so if you have a beard which is no.2 length on the trimmers, when you first grow it, there will be some hairs which have only just started to break the surface of the skin. Normally if you shave regularly then you will never see the slow growers. But if you let it grow out a couple of weeks more, and then trim back down to a no.2 length, it will be thicker than it was originally, because now those slower growers are at least at no.2 length so are the same length as the rest.

It's one reason why a lot of guys who say "I cant grow a beard" find that if they actually leave it for 6 weeks, and then try maintaining a trimmed beard, that it is a lot thicker than they imagined they could have.

In answer to the OPs question, yes, as you get older you do steadily get more facial hair. At 22 I was growing David Beckhamesque wispy goatees but a few years on and I've got a lot more all round coverage.
        • Reporter Team
        • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Arteta)
        You stupid girl. You really think he meant that once it's shaved it will never appear again?

I hope your husband is smart, for your children's sake.
        your concern for my children's intelligence is duly noted, thanks very much.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.