Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lovely people of Fashion and Beauty, I need some recommendations for Tinted Moisturiser. I've heard good things about Laura Mercier but apart from that I'm a newbie to the world of tinted moisturisers.

My skin is very light (so will need the range to go down to a pretty light shade) and reasonably oily so probably an oil-free one or one specifically for oily skin would be good.

Which ones have you guys tried? Any that were good? Any you'd recommend steering clear of?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, you're better off getting an oil-free/mattifying moisturiser you like and mixing it with a foundation you like. That way you can get the exact shade and coverage you're looking for, and you won't have to worry about it looking greasy after a while (the main problems with tinted moisturisers). It'll also work out cheaper in the long term.

If you're dead set on a tinted moisturiser, Boots No 7 Dual Protect is quite nice and costs less than half the price of the Laura Mercier one. The light shade has a golden tint to it but isn't orange as long as you don't overuse, and it is quite moisturising. Do try a little swatch on your jawline though as the colour has to be right for it to look natural and flattering.

Also, Bourjois Healthy Mix (edit: not "Glow", oops) Foundation is apparently more like a good tinted moisturiser than a full foundation and seems to have some skin-friendly ingredients. Could be worth a shot, there are more shade options than you usually get with tinted moisturisers .

ReputationRep:
    Clinique has a really good one (nice coverage, not too oily or drying) that has SPF in it as well--can't find my tube of it, but it comes in a dark mint green tube with a silver top.

ReputationRep:
    Dermalogica do a fantastic one, called Sheer Tint SPF 15. Its this one: http://www.pure-beauty.co.uk/product...ht_%2840ml%29/

I normally have really oily skin and since using Dermalogica it's completely oil free now

You can normally get their stuff cheaper on Ebay, if you go to a salon which sells Dermalogica they'll be able to give you some samples and do a face mapping, which is normally free. Funnily enough I used Clinique for about 5 years but I would never go back to it now.

ReputationRep:
    Dove Summer Glow is lovely and makes you all sparkly too lol

Thanks for all the advice so far.

(Original post by tbm)
    Dermalogica do a fantastic one, called Sheer Tint SPF 15. Its this one: http://www.pure-beauty.co.uk/product...ht_%2840ml%29/

I normally have really oily skin and since using Dermalogica it's completely oil free now

You can normally get their stuff cheaper on Ebay, if you go to a salon which sells Dermalogica they'll be able to give you some samples and do a face mapping, which is normally free. Funnily enough I used Clinique for about 5 years but I would never go back to it now.
    I use Dermalogica face wash and moisturiser and love both, so may well give their tinted moisturiser a try
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    Dove Summer Glow is lovely and makes you all sparkly too lol
    I'm not sure I want to be sparkly :o: But thanks for the recommendation!

(Original post by MsAnnThropic)
    To be honest, you're better off getting an oil-free/mattifying moisturiser you like and mixing it with a foundation you like. That way you can get the exact shade and coverage you're looking for, and you won't have to worry about it looking greasy after a while (the main problems with tinted moisturisers). It'll also work out cheaper in the long term.
    I have a fairly expensive foundation and moisturiser so am not convinced it would work out cheaper but I may well give this a try in terms of getting the right shade as my current foundation is perfect.

If you're dead set on a tinted moisturiser, Boots No 7 Dual Protect is quite nice and costs less than half the price of the Laura Mercier one. The light shade has a golden tint to it but isn't orange as long as you don't overuse, and it is quite moisturising. Do try a little swatch on your jawline though as the colour has to be right for it to look natural and flattering.

Also, Bourjois Healthy Mix (edit: not "Glow", oops) Foundation is apparently more like a good tinted moisturiser than a full foundation and seems to have some skin-friendly ingredients. Could be worth a shot, there are more shade options than you usually get with tinted moisturisers .
    Will have a look at these next time I'm in Boots, thanks

(Original post by Dogatonic)
    Clinique has a really good one (nice coverage, not too oily or drying) that has SPF in it as well--can't find my tube of it, but it comes in a dark mint green tube with a silver top.
    I'm always a bit wary of Clinique - for every person who raves about them I hear another saying it was the worst thing ever for their skin and made them break out terribly. Since I already have problematic skin in this respect I'd probably steer clear in the first instance. What's your skin like?

ReputationRep:
    I have the same skin type as you OP (pale & oily) and though I did quite like the Laura Mercier one, it wasn't very long lasting. The colour was that touch too dark also.
    My favourite has to be by a brand called Pixi (they have a website and a shop in Conven Garden) and it's called Illuminating Tint & Conceal. It's a tinited moisturiser with a concealor in the cap. Very clever! It only comes in four shades, but the light sade (1) is pefect. It's around £22, so quite pricey, but well worth it IMO.

I also recommend Bourjois' 10 Hour Sleep Effect (rather than the Healthy Mix as a previous poster suggested, that is heavier) as it's super light and natural looking. Really gorgeous and the lightest shade is super pale.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard great things about the Stila one, but I've not tried it, so can't say how pale it goes. I'm very pale too, so I know that this can be a problem. I've used Mac's in the past, which I liked, but I think that they've changed their line now so that it doesn't come in the full range of shades. My friend loves it, though. Various people also rave about Bobby Brown, which goes down pale, but again, I've not tried it.

ReputationRep:
    MAC is good for fair skin, I use it myself!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've tried the Laura mercier and I have to say I'm not a huge fan. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't make me feel gorgeous, either. And for the price that's not good! I actually preferred the MAC one and you won't often find me saying that about their foundation products (which I usually don't like). Although I tend to just mix a bit of doublewear with mosturiser when I want a tint now.

ReputationRep:
    I have really fair skin and I use No7 tinted moisturiser. It's great.

Hmm, quite a few recommendations there - thanks all! Will probably work my way through them and see which suits me best

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.