Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Announced in Parliament yesterday

The government is inviting comments on its draft Cabinet Manual, which describes the functioning of government as it stands today.

What do we think? Too much? Too little? Anything else?

As a note - this is not a written constitution, nor a path to one - NZ has had a Cabinet Manual for two decades and they haven't got a codified constitution. Methinks the Guardian is being a bit too hyperbolic about the implications of this document.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like Parliament to formally approve the final version.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's suffice to let the Cabinet Office approve it myself, as is the practice in New Zealand. It's by no means law; it's meant to serve as a reference guide and to be continually updated as unprecedented situations occur. It in no way would inhibit Parliament by what's set down.

Nonetheless Parliament should be informed of any and all changes and Members give their input.

(Original post by Prince Rhyus)
      I'd like Parliament to formally approve the final version.
      Do you think it's necessary for Parliament as a whole to formally approve what is, after all, only relevant to the machinations of the relevant Cabinet and will be overridden by the next Cabinet anyway?

It's just like a Code of Conduct for one group of people at one particular period of time. It's not important to anyone apart from the Cabinet members and I can't see why Cameron is inviting people to comment. Maybe he's trying to convince people of his faux transparency.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      What is the relevancy of this and how binding is it?

ReputationRep:
      Its an interesting docment and will be of great use to scholars in the future but its also being massivel overblown-its not a constitution any more than Erskin May is and nor should it be!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      What is the relevancy of this and how binding is it?
      Not binding in the least; it's intended to be used as a summary guide to procedures and lessons learned to make government smoother in future. For example, empasses in coalition negotiations and the solutions achieved.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.