The Student Room Group

Muslims praying at College

Hi,

We've been given a prayer room but are not allowed to pray in it? The College says that it's a national rule that you cannot be late for lessons because of prayer or leave lessons for prayer.

Do you think Muslims should be allowed to pray and folllow their religion or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Not at college. Why should a college be turned into a mosque?
No even though im born to Muslim parents each prayer has a specific time in which you can pray so for example zuhar from 12-3 pm , they should pray when they get time in between and not skip lessons for praying.
Sure.
Reply 4
I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to pray in it during your free time (but I think it should be available to ALL people to pray in, not just Muslims), but why on Earth should you be let out of lessons to pray? That's just absurd.
Reply 5
I agree with above poster.

You can obviously use it, but it makes sense not in lessons, otherwise learning becomes disrupted. You have breaks.
Reply 6

Not within lessonsis more than fair tbh.
Reply 7
Original post by #Funky
Hi,

We've been given a prayer room but are not allowed to pray in it? The College says that it's a national rule that you cannot be late for lessons because of prayer or leave lessons for prayer.

Do you think Muslims should be allowed to pray and folllow their religion or not?

im muslim are yea i guess i agree to an extent, but no its not obligatory to pray at the set time as you should well know,wen i was at college we were alloweed to pray but it was whoever had a break from lessons,if you are doing something then you are allowed to make up for the missed prayer later

and no i dont think its turning a college into a mosque either
Reply 8
Original post by #Funky
Hi,

they're lying i prayed through primary-secondary schools college and now uni, you can pray at college. obviously try not to be late but if you're a few minutes late so what. if they still ban you then go to class on time and when prayer time comes go to the corner and pray, when they chuck you out of class take it up with the governors and local MP if you must, it worked for me. i forgot about the leaving lessons bit, you can't leave lessons because getting an education is a form of worship, only cause a fuss if its break time and they tell you no dont pray because you might be late.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Dekota-XS
No. Not at college. Why should a college be turned into a mosque?

The College isn't being turned in to a Mosque. Please re-read my original post and do not be ignorant. There isn't any need for it.

Original post by x_muneeb_x
No even though im born to Muslim parents each prayer has a specific time in which you can pray so for example zuhar from 12-3 pm , they should pray when they get time in between and not skip lessons for praying.

No, they shouldn't be allowed to pray? Are you Muslim? To be honest, as a Muslim praying is a fundamnetal thing in my religion. It is a must. I always pray and never have missed lessons and I'm always achieving top marks and grades!

Original post by arab
they're lying i prayed through primary-secondary schools college and now uni, you can pray at college. obviously try not to be late but if you're a few minutes late so what. if they still ban you then go to class on time and when prayer time comes go to the corner and pray, when they chuck you out of class take it up with the governors and local MP if you must, it worked for me.

Thanks! I'll try that, I'm never late though. Infact, the teachers are late! LOL
Reply 10
Can't you pray during lunchtime ..I am sure you can pray Zuhur on that time and as soon school finishes you can pray Asr. Not exactly on time but you can still pray during that range.
Just say you're going to the bathroom man, no biggie

Don't tell the Pakistanis though, they'll snitch on you so that they might be considerd western and developed lool.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by #Funky
Hi,

No, Muslims should not be allowed to follow their religion.

.....??
Reply 13
Original post by Faith01
Can't you pray during lunchtime ..I am sure you can pray Zuhur on that time and as soon school finishes you can pray Asr. Not exactly on time but you can still pray during that range.

Assalamu Alaykum,

Dhuhur is fine. However, Asr, is at like 3pm now (the ideal time - start). I finish college at around 4.15pm most times and Maghrib is at like 4pm.
Reply 14
Original post by #Funky
Assalamu Alaykum,

Dhuhur is fine. However, Asr, is at like 3pm now (the ideal time - start). I finish college at around 4.15pm most times and Maghrib is at like 4pm.

Oh right, you finish quite late ..just tell your teacher you are going to toilet when it's Asr time and pray.
Original post by arab
they're lying i prayed through primary-secondary schools college and now uni, you can pray at college. obviously try not to be late but if you're a few minutes late so what. if they still ban you then go to class on time and when prayer time comes go to the corner and pray, when they chuck you out of class take it up with the governors and local MP if you must, it worked for me. i forgot about the leaving lessons bit, you can't leave lessons because getting an education is a form of worship, only cause a fuss if its break time and they tell you no dont pray because you might be late.

Yeah, but the thing is, it disrupts other people's learning.

OP: it's not a national rule, but your college does have rules. Ours had a rule that if we were more than 5 mins late to the class, we weren't allowed into the class. You should have thought about these rules before you applied to study there. All I can suggest is using another time to pray (like someone said before, you don't have to do it exactly at a particular hour, but between slots), or lie to whoever tells you you can't go in, and say you have a free period :yep:. There'll be some way around it, I guess you just have to be diplomatic and speak to the school and come to some conclusion, or suck it up and accept that there are rules there for all students at your college, and you have to follow them.

I wouldn't do what this user says and go to the papers or MP or whatever, because you want the school on your side. Especially when you'll be expecting a good uni reference :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by SomaliMan
Just say you're going to the bathroom man, no biggie

Don't tell the Pakistanis though, they'll snitch on you so that they might be considerd western and developed lool.

Ya, that's my excuse! Haha, yeh the Pakistanis and Bengalis are likely to do this!

Original post by Magma828
No, Muslims should not be allowed to follow their religion.

.....??

Why not?
Reply 17
Too much pains for the Muslim in UK i c...well in our country if any student wants to pray they can ask the teacher for a short break...well normally it happens when the class is a long period, otherwise students pray in between their free time.
Reply 18
Original post by SpiritedAway
Yeah, but the thing is, it disrupts other people's learning.

OP: it's not a national rule, but your college does have rules. Ours had a rule that if we were more than 5 mins late to the class, we weren't allowed into the class. You should have thought about these rules before you applied to study there. All I can suggest is using another time to pray (like someone said before, you don't have to do it exactly at a particular hour, but between slots), or lie to whoever tells you you can't go in, and say you have a free period :yep:. There'll be some way around it, I guess you just have to be diplomatic and speak to the school and come to some conclusion, or suck it up and accept that there are rules there for all students at your college, and you have to follow them.

I wouldn't do what this user says and go to the papers or MP or whatever, because you want the school on your side. Especially when you'll be expecting a good uni reference :smile:

How does it disrupt other people's learning. It's not like I'm going to be worshipping them. I'd go to a room and pray.

Original post by Makubex
Too much pains for the Muslim in UK i c...well in our country if any student wants to pray they can ask the teacher for a short break...well normally it happens when the class is a long period, otherwise students pray in between their free time.

Which country is that? Indeed, Muslims have a lot of problems here.
Original post by #Funky
The College isn't being turned in to a Mosque. Please re-read my original post and do not be ignorant. There isn't any need for it.

No, they shouldn't be allowed to pray? Are you Muslim? To be honest, as a Muslim praying is a fundamnetal thing in my religion. It is a must. I always pray and never have missed lessons and I'm always achieving top marks and grades!

Thanks! I'll try that, I'm never late though. Infact, the teachers are late! LOL

Uhm no im not a Muslim as i said my parents are , im an agnostic and i dont mind people praying at college it should be allowed but im saying people should not be allowed to skip or come late to classes because of praying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending