Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Switzerland considers making incest legal: report Watch

ReputationRep:
    Incest could soon become legal in Switzerland as the Swiss government is considering repealing its laws on sexual relations between family members, according to a media report.

The government is claiming that the law banning incest is "obsolete" and there have been only three such cases since 1984, the Telegraph reported.

"The upper house of the Swiss parliament has drafted a law decriminalising sex between consenting family members which must now be considered by the government," it said.

Switzerland, which recently held a referendum passing a draconian law that will boot out foreigners convicted of committing the smallest of crimes, however, insists that children within families will continue to be protected by laws governing abuse and paedophilia.

Daniel Vischer, a Green party MP, said he saw nothing wrong with two consenting adults having sex, even if they were related.

"Incest is a difficult moral question, but not one that is answered by penal law," he was quoted as saying.

Barbara Schmid Federer of The Christian People's Party of Switzerland, however, said the proposal from the upper house was "completely repugnant".

"I for one could not countenance painting out such a law from the statute books."

The Protestant People's Party is also opposed to decriminalising the offence which at present carries a maximum three year jail term.

A spokesman for the party said: "Murder is also quite rare in Switzerland but no one suggests that we remove that as an office from the statutes."
    lol, the same people that made a big fuss of minarets..

For those who don't get the story, basically a man will be able to **** his daughter and then claim she 'liked' it if he gets arrested.

ReputationRep:
    Moving to Switzerland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomaliMan)
    basically a man will be able to **** his daughter and then claim she 'liked' it if he gets arrested.
    So? Any man can **** a woman and claim she liked it if he gets arrested.

ReputationRep:
    um...maybe switzerland is getting a bit nationalism and wants to be able to mate with cousins legally? I dunno it seems strange and yuck...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogatonic)
    So? Any man can **** a woman and claim she liked it if he gets arrested.
    Thats what I meant, obviously if that was said in the UK you'd still be ****** because its not legal to shagg your daughter, but ey, I guess they love their kids.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant idea. Imagine if this happened in the UK, think of how many pointless threads could be ended quickly on TSR.

"TSR I have never had sex how will I find a girlfriend"
    "Go to the living room with your willy out"

Sorted.

lol, the same people that made a big fuss of minarets..
      No, it isn't. The minaret referendum was proposed by the conservative, populist SVP party. This proposal comes from the upper house in which the SVP does not have much influence. (See here.) At a glance, social liberals seem to have a majority in the upper house, while social conservatives have a majority in the lower house.

Believe it or not, people in Switzerland have a diverse range of political opinions, just like any other country.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
      Moving to Switzerland.
      :lol:

For those who don't get the story, basically a man will be able to **** his daughter and then claim she 'liked' it if he gets arrested.
      Err not quite "f**king your daughter and saying she liked it." Of course it still means it would have to be between two consenting parties who are of the legal age.

Anyway I don't think this will change anything socially. It will probably still be seen as socially unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
      I think it's fair enough. If two consenting adults who are related want to ****, let them ****. I don't care & I certainly don't see why they should go to prison for it.

To the OP - rape is rape & child abuse is child abuse. Changing an incest law is not going to legalise rape & child abuse. Idiot.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kolya)
      No, it isn't. The minaret referendum was proposed by the conservative, populist SVP party. This proposal comes from the upper house in which the SVP does not have much influence. (See here.) At a glance, social liberals seem to have a majority in the upper house, while social conservatives have a majority in the lower house.

Believe it or not, people in Switzerland have a diverse range of political opinions, just like any other country.
      I know bro, I was talking about 'swiss' people in general.

(Original post by Jenny_Jazz)
      :lol:

Err not quite "f**king your daughter and saying she liked it." Of course it still means it would have to be between two consenting parties who are of the legal age.

Anyway I don't think this will change anything socially. It will probably still be seen as socially unacceptable.

Women of the legal age get raped here in the UK, and there are a lot of cases where the rapists walk free because they managed to convince everyone that she liked it, wanted it, and when it was done changed her mind. Same could happen in Switzerland.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Steezy)
      I think it's fair enough. If two consenting adults who are related want to ****, let them ****. I don't care & I certainly don't see why they should go to prison for it.

To the OP - rape is rape & child abuse is child abuse. Changing an incest law is not going to legalise rape & child abuse. Idiot.
      There's always this one sick **** that wants to see this law come through, ofcourse this person can't say so, so he will pretend to 'not be bothered' if a father.daughter are shagging in the house next door. Seeing them kiss in the buss, eeeew. Steezy = Sleezy

ReputationRep:
      Thats what I meant, obviously if that was said in the UK you'd still be ****** because its not legal to shagg your daughter, but ey, I guess they love their kids.
      You clearly misunderstood what I was saying. You stated in your original post that legalising incest would allow people who rape their relatives to pass the sex off as consensual. What I meant was that rape is rape, and that the severity of the crime is not diminished just because it does not also involve incest.

ReputationRep:
      Not quite it says they have to be consenting. It also says they will still be protected from child abuse and pedophilia so a father could only say that about a daughter over the age of consent. Which is what all men who are acused of rape would use as a defence.

ReputationRep:
      Is it the states business to lock people up for having sex say if they are brother and sister and legal - no.

Is it wrong and a little weird - yes.

tbh it's so unlikely to happen because the vast majority of people don't want to sleep with their siblings or parents - naturally it is something that humans don't do.

ReputationRep:
      There is nothing wrong with incest as long as the babies are screened for genetic diseases. But then again, I think every baby should be screened. You are only more likely to have a disease from incest because recessive genes are able to come together. As long as there is concent from both parties I couldn't care less what people get up to. Although it won't be something I'd want to do.

ReputationRep:
      Speechless, but not surprised tbh. What next...

ReputationRep:
      Why would they do that. Incest babies are more likely to have learning difficulties and other problems.

ReputationRep:
      The people who were likely to get together with siblings would have done so anyway, regardless of whether it was legal or not. I doubt incest couples all around Switzerland will suddenly get on the love train simply because of a law.

ReputationRep:
      Women of the legal age get raped here in the UK, and there are a lot of cases where the rapists walk free because they managed to convince everyone that she liked it, wanted it, and when it was done changed her mind. Same could happen in Switzerland.
      So are you suggesting that the legalisation of incest might mean a father could rape his daughter and say she liked in and potentially get cleared of all charges?
      I guess this is a possibility and a flaw to the idea of legalising incest.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jenny_Jazz)
      So are you suggesting that the legalisation of incest might mean a father could rape his daughter and say she liked in and potentially get cleared of all charges?
      I guess this is a possibility and a flaw to the idea of legalising incest.
      Yeah exactly.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.