Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time deciding which schools I want to apply to. Visiting schools/meeting representatives would be awesome, but I'm not from the UK. I won't visit schools until offers are recieved.

Should mention that I'd want to apply for Computer Science w/ a foundation year at:

York (no foundation year, the only exception. ironically seems to have one of the best CS departments in this list!)
    Manchester
    Nottingham (more likely to get an offer here than from Manchester)
    Royal Holloway
    Sussex
    University of East Anglia (safe choice)
    Southampton? (bit more effort to apply here, need one more reference etc etc)

I would like to live in the south, but these are my best bets, really. I don't know if I want to live in a city or campus-style university, either.

I'm pretty sure that I'll get an offer from RHUL, Sussex and UEA. I've spoken to the admissions officer at York quite a bit, and should get an offer if my personal statement is good.

Basically, I'll need one very safe choice, two-three normal and one-two bets(ish). HALP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rumpnisse)
    Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time deciding which schools I want to apply to. Visiting schools/meeting representatives would be awesome, but I'm not from the UK. I won't visit schools until offers are recieved.

Should mention that I'd want to apply for CS w/ foundation year at:

York (no foundation year, the only exception. ironically seems to have one of the best CS departments in this list!)
    Manchester
    Royal Holloway
    Sussex

I would like to live in the south, but these are my best bets, really. I don't know if I want to live in a city or campus-style university, either.

I'm pretty sure that I'll get an offer from RHUL, Sussex and UEA. I've spoken to the admissions officer at York quite a bit, and should get an offer if my personal statement is good.

Basically, I'll need one very safe choice, two-three normal and one-two bets(ish). HALP!
    What is CS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    What is CS?
    Sorry, it's Computer Science, edited it now. Thought people would understand as i posted in the Compsci subforum

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, it's Computer Science, edited it now. Thought people would understand as i posted in the Compsci subforum
    Yeh, my bad, I noticed that after I posted it and felt rather stupid
    Sorry I'm not applying for anything to do with that

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you think UEA is a safe choice, then choose that. It's a nice uni.
    As for the others, I unno, I'll leave the comp/sci guys to sort that out for you.
    But good choice in having one safe, 2-3 normal and 1-2 best. That's what I did.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go for one of the best, why not apply to Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial College?

I applied to Southampton. It's a very new building, and they let you eat and drink in the labs. That's about all I remember.

I have a friend studying CS at Royal Holloway. He seems to be enjoying it, and it's a nice building (a stereotypical old British university, if that matters to you) Its location is handy for central London, without the increased living costs associated with the colleges in the centre.

Have you considered Bristol? That's where I am, and I'm enjoying it so far. In the first year, we start learning C, then move onto Java and Haskell. Have a good look at the differences in the courses you are interested. It is unusual for a course to start with C, but I am enjoying it that way.

ReputationRep:
    Your two "bets" should be Southampton and Royal Holloway, as they're the best ones for CS in my opinion.
    Then I guess Nottingham and Manchester as middle OK-ish ones.
    I reckon both Sussex and UEA are safe choices provided you have decent academics. If you want to play it really safe, go for UEA. Otherwise, I'd pick Sussex.

I'm surprised you haven't gone for any London ones given your preference for the South (instead of Manchester, for example).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Your two "bets" should be Southampton and Royal Holloway, as they're the best ones for CS in my opinion.
    Then I guess Nottingham and Manchester as middle OK-ish ones.
    I reckon both Sussex and UEA are safe choices provided you have decent academics. If you want to play it really safe, go for UEA. Otherwise, I'd pick Sussex.

I'm surprised you haven't gone for any London ones given your preference for the South (instead of Manchester, for example).
    Thanks for the help so far

I've looked at universities in the south quite a lot. However, most of them won't accept me on their foundation year, as they're usually designed for international student (I'm from the EU).

For some bizarre reason, York has low criterias for Swedish students (compared to other top 20 unis), which is why I can apply for the Bsc. I like how they incorporate hardware into the course structure, too. I'm not too keen on living that far up north, though...

What are the most important things to keep in mind when I apply for universities? How important is reputation? Location?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    If you want to go for one of the best, why not apply to Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial College?

I applied to Southampton. It's a very new building, and they let you eat and drink in the labs. That's about all I remember.

I have a friend studying CS at Royal Holloway. He seems to be enjoying it, and it's a nice building (a stereotypical old British university, if that matters to you) Its location is handy for central London, without the increased living costs associated with the colleges in the centre.

Have you considered Bristol? That's where I am, and I'm enjoying it so far. In the first year, we start learning C, then move onto Java and Haskell. Have a good look at the differences in the courses you are interested. It is unusual for a course to start with C, but I am enjoying it that way.
    I'd REALLY want to live in Southampton, as I travel there quite a lot. I phoned them yesterday, and they would require an additional reference from my tutor. Problem: he's a lazy, lazy git + I only have a month to send in my application. Gah!

Royal Holloway's campus looks lovely, absolutely no problems there.

I've looked at the course structures, and I'd prefer to begin with learning C... most/all of the courses I'm applying to do Java first don't have much of a choice tbh.

Edit note: I'm applying for a foundation year, not to be forgotten

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Should mention that I'd want to apply for Computer Science w/ a foundation year at:

Manchester
    Royal Holloway
    Sussex

Just out of interset not all of these offer foundation focus u do know that right, in terms of the best Computer Science department this is what i believe

• Southampton
    • York
    • Sussex
    • Nottingham
    • Manchester
    • Royal Holloway

i don't know why everyone keeps saying Sussex is **** for Computer Science beacuse from the people i know visit say they have excellent department, and most of the people i know are also applying for oxbrigde so i don't know where they get that from anyways

From the list your provided Southampton and York probable have the best Computer Science departments in the UK, Computer Science is Southampton flag ship course.

Nottingham, Manchester, and Royal Holloway all have great Computer Science departments but are not the best at it, if you have the grades probable best to look at Southampton or York, if your look for safe option Nottingham may be good choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    Just out of interset not all of these offer foundation focus u do know that right, in terms of the best Computer Science department this is what i believe

• Southampton
    • York
    • Sussex
    • Nottingham
    • Manchester
    • Royal Holloway

i don't know why everyone keeps saying Sussex is **** for Computer Science beacuse from the people i know visit say they have excellent department, and most of the people i know are also applying for oxbrigde so i don't know where they get that from anyways

From the list your provided Southampton and York probable have the best Computer Science departments in the UK, Computer Science is Southampton flag ship course.

Nottingham, Manchester, and Royal Holloway all have great Computer Science departments but are not the best at it, if you have the grades probable best to look at Southampton or York, if your look for safe option Nottingham may be good choices
    Yes, I'm aware of the fact that they don't all have "focused" foundation years. All of them have some kind of foundation year that leads to a Compsci degree, so it's all good.

Going to ring southampton again and ask about a standard swedish offer. I've noticed that it's hard for them to tell me as it's a foundation year no general offer, really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.