Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Neighbour being totally unreasonable. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I live in a huge converted Victorian house, and I have one person living on the floor above, and one below, and I live with my mum.

We hear a fair bit of noise from the man above, but it's something you should expect when living in this kind of arrangement. However, the man below is being ridiculously unreasonable.

He blocks in my mums car constantly, he bangs on the ceiling if I go in or out of my room, even once, at night time. I can't even go to the toilet or get a drink at night time now. I've even put a large rug down in my room to muffle any noise.

I mean, it's not even like we have parties, or have loud music or tv, or even walk around in shoes. We are as quiet as possible, but he's been an absolute bell end. He's even shouted at me for walking around however, he won't say anything to my mum. He's really polite to her.

My mum knows how awful he is to me, specifically, but I'm so fed up with feeling like a prisoner in my own home. Is there anything I could do? He's got the housing officials over because he thinks the noise is 'unacceptable', but they told him very severely that it was just standard noise which you should expect. Should I get them involved again to tell him how unreasonable he's being?

Tl:dr? Man living on floor below is complaining about noise, even though we're quiet. Should I get the housing officials round?

ReputationRep:
    Just make extra noise for a week? then go back to normal and he will notice the difference and be thankful.... Simple.

ReputationRep:
    You should accidentally forget that the bath taps are running

ReputationRep:
    Ignore him.

ReputationRep:
    It's ASBO time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    You should accidentally forget that the bath taps are running
    I know you were joking, but my neighbour upstairs did this a while back, I had water pouring down my ceiling

Man downstairs just banged on the ceiling because I went to get my USB stick out my room... yikes. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    I know you were joking, but my neighbour upstairs did this a while back, I had water pouring down my ceiling

Man downstairs just banged on the ceiling because I went to get my USB stick out my room... yikes. :mad:
    Quite honestly, I'd just stamp HARD every time I heard a bang

I'd make a complaint about him, personally.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Is this not taken from an episode of Friends?

ReputationRep:
    I'd just ignore his banging, he'll get bored of doing that if you don't give into it. But if every time he bangs you stop moving and go silent, he'll bang any time he hears you.

If he has another go at you, tell him that the noise he is hearing is the noise of you walking around and that you have to walk around. If the noise is too loud then that's a fault with the building, not you, and is something he should have looked into when he bought the flat. If the noise is unbearable then the solution is for him to get earplugs or to move - not for you to somehow glide noiselessly through your own flat.

That's why I now hate flats, UK houses are relics and therefore soundproofing and proper floors are non existent. Now, I can only live in proper houses with no flats, they cost more but at least I save a lot of money from not needing psychiatric treatment.

ReputationRep:
      By banging the ceiling he's the one making noise. Threaten him with a formal complaint, I'm confident the law is on your side.

ReputationRep:
      Bang back, he secretly is flirting with you via taps on your floor.

ReputationRep:
      Ignore him. He'll get bored. Don't stop walking about when he bangs, it will encourage him.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
      Bang back, he secretly is flirting with you via taps on your floor.
      I would go lesbian for Susan Coffey. Hawt pictures

ReputationRep:
      Do what i do, pump dubstep through 500watts of speakers, that way you cant hear him.

If you can negotiate, tell him that your just walking about and its making noise, and youve tryed to walk quietly, if his just being a total nob, go with pumping dubstep though speakers., if he keeps banging the ceiling, bang back and make a mime rythm, he goes tappa tappa and you go tappa tappa, im sure his arms will strain before your legs give up.

ReputationRep:
      The woman who lives directly above me dances all the time in her room. Gotta live with it, I suppose.

Landlord's a **** though. He thinks he's within his rights to come in at any moment and alter the thermostat because our flat has all bills included. Midnight pitter-pattering in the corridor is a telltale sign of the heating being lowered. If there's a certain temparature you want to keep it at, ****ing put it in the contract. Don't invade my privacy.

We leave the hobs on when we're in the kitchen though :teeth:

As for you get housing officials over on your part. He should accept it or move out.

ReputationRep:
      Stop responding to his bangs. If you want to walk around or go to the toilet, just do it. I'd probably be immature and make more noise to annoy him, but the best thing to do is just to ignore him. Like paddyman said, he should get bored of doing it eventually when he realises it won't get him anywhere.

ReputationRep:
      If he keeps banging on the ceiling you could phone the environmental health department at the council and they will go to see him.
      I think it's better to avoid this though. The badly insulated house transmits noise and it probably genuinely upsets him.
      Some people can be tipped over the edge into violent rage through noise.
      Another way of dealing with it could be to offer to instal noise insulation on your floor if he pays for it.

ReputationRep:
      Ask him to buy you a hovercraft.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RNBen)
      Is this not taken from an episode of Friends?
      Not as far as I'm aware. :confused:

(Original post by paddyman4)
      I'd just ignore his banging, he'll get bored of doing that if you don't give into it. But if every time he bangs you stop moving and go silent, he'll bang any time he hears you.

If he has another go at you, tell him that the noise he is hearing is the noise of you walking around and that you have to walk around. If the noise is too loud then that's a fault with the building, not you, and is something he should have looked into when he bought the flat. If the noise is unbearable then the solution is for him to get earplugs or to move - not for you to somehow glide noiselessly through your own flat.
      (Original post by cybergrad)
      That's why I now hate flats, UK houses are relics and therefore soundproofing and proper floors are non existent. Now, I can only live in proper houses with no flats, they cost more but at least I save a lot of money from not needing psychiatric treatment.
      (Original post by Lell)
      Ignore him. He'll get bored. Don't stop walking about when he bangs, it will encourage him.
      (Original post by Doubledog)
      If he keeps banging on the ceiling you could phone the environmental health department at the council and they will go to see him.
      I think it's better to avoid this though. The badly insulated house transmits noise and it probably genuinely upsets him.
      Some people can be tipped over the edge into violent rage through noise.
      Another way of dealing with it could be to offer to instal noise insulation on your floor if he pays for it.
      Thanks all for your replies. He's actually been into my home to put in some insulation. My mum has been into his flat and she says you can barely hear anything when I walk around, but she said his ceiling is covered in patches where he's taken the plaster down and stuffed insulation between the floors. She also said he has hardly anything in his flat; not even a carpet, so all the sounds echoes. The fact it's a Victorian house means we can hear virtually nothing other than creaky floorboards anyway!

We have lived here about 14 months now, and he was fine to begin with. He was saying to my mum that we were the best upstairs neighbours he's ever had, and how we don't make much noise, and now he's being a spaz. He also goes away for weeks at a time to visit his 'lady friend' in the countryside, and whenever he comes back he complains about the tiniest of noises.

I think I might slip some ear plugs through his door as a Christmas present

(Original post by Spexzzz)
      Do what i do, pump dubstep through 500watts of speakers, that way you cant hear him.

If you can negotiate, tell him that your just walking about and its making noise, and youve tryed to walk quietly, if his just being a total nob, go with pumping dubstep though speakers., if he keeps banging the ceiling, bang back and make a mime rythm, he goes tappa tappa and you go tappa tappa, im sure his arms will strain before your legs give up.
      I don't even own a pair of speakers my mum thinks we should get some tap shoes though!

(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
      Ask him to buy you a hovercraft.
      Very good idea!

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.