Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Live with girlfriend, no support from parents, can I get help from government? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As in grants etc? How does this work if we both attend school and work at crappy jobs and are not in contact with our parents in 2 months?

ReputationRep:
    Aren't there student loans? No such thing as a free lunch, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben788)
    As in grants etc? How does this work if we both attend school and work at crappy jobs and are not in contact with our parents in 2 months?
    presumably your living in free accomadation?
    if you contact your schools support person and they should be able to point you in the right direction, at college or uni see student services.
    failing that go to your nearest job center as they handle most benifits (or atleast have people who are able to advice on this)

ReputationRep:
    Get a letter from your GP to explain you are estranged from your parents. 2 of my mates have done it as well.

You then need to send that signed letter along with your student finance forms when you apply.

Make sure you apply for the means tested 100% loan and you should get full help.

Tell your GP you do not speak to your parents, you are not welcome at their house and that's the reason you are living with your girlfriend. Also tell the GP that they won't finance you in anyway whatsoever so you are totally alone in this and will not be able to attend university without financial aid from the government.

Worked with my 2 friends - just make sure its a signed letter otherwise they won't even consider it.

They may ring your parents to confirm you won't get help and are not welcome so bear that in mind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.