Computer engineer full time in a steel industry
    Part-time Catering staff
    Provisional Lisence Holder

Citroen C2 2004 54' 1.1Ltr
    6.000 Annual Milage
    Third Party Fire And Theft

With provisional licence details £1.425.54

With FULL UK licence details £2.195.32

My question is: If I take out the Policy now, as a provisional Licence holder will I need to inform the insurance company that I've passed my Driving test and hold a Valid UK drivers Licence?

And if Yes, Can they charge me the extra £700+ then and there?

ALso, With the lagality Can I put my parent/parents on the insurance as Main Drivers with me as a named driver/vice versa but use the car myself and them not use it at all? How can they find out if Its me using the car all the time, if I just lie and say Yes I use it once a fortnight or once a week but my parents ARE the main drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biker_boy_chris)
    My question is: If I take out the Policy now, as a provisional Licence holder will I need to inform the insurance company that I've passed my Driving test and hold a Valid UK drivers Licence?
    Yes. Failure to do so would invalidate your insurance.

Yes, and they almost certainly would.

ALso, With the lagality Can I put my parent/parents on the insurance as Main Drivers with me as a named driver/vice versa but use the car myself and them not use it at all?
    No. Again, this would invalidate your insurance.

How can they find out if Its me using the car all the time, if I just lie and say Yes I use it once a fortnight or once a week but my parents ARE the main drivers.
    If you have an accident or get caught speeding or whatever while driving to work in it one day, it will be pretty obvious. Given that there's pretty severe consequences if you're found lying to your insurer (massively increased premiums, pretty much nowhere will cover you at all, points on your license or possibly a ban for driving without insurance) it's really not worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    If you tell a deliberate lie, you are not only rendering your insurance invalid but you are also prosecutable. Think about it.. Jeez.

What do you want to hear? You can save loads of cash by telling lies and if you are found out to be lying they will pat you on the back and admire your genius flair? No.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you need to tell them you've passed your test. If you pay by direct debit you can normally add the extra payment onto your monthly payments to spread it out.

As for being a named driver when you use it all the time, thats fraud but I know a lot of people do it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im a 17 year old MALE
    Live in a Cat.D postcode *sad-face*
    Part-time Catering staff

6.000 Annual Milage

Yes as it's a material fact that affects the underwriting, not informing them will render the policy invalid.

Yes, pro rata ... if itsa change of material facts but not a new policy.

ALso, With the legality Can I put my parent/parents on the insurance as Main Drivers with me as a named driver/vice versa but use the car myself and them not use it at all? How can they find out if Its me using the car all the time, if I just lie and say Yes I use it once a fortnight or once a week but my parents ARE the main drivers.
    This is fronting and it is fraud.

If you add them as named drivers it may well knock a bit off the premium and gives you all some flexibility.

ReputationRep:
    You need to play by their rules, even if you don't like them. My premium went up from £500 to £1000 when I passed, and when I had 1 years no claims, my premium went up to £1250, not sure how that works... It doesn't always make sense.

ReputationRep:
    ITT: Another boy genius trying to beat the system with new ideas that no-one has ever come up with before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfox)
    You need to play by their rules, even if you don't like them. My premium went up from £500 to £1000 when I passed, and when I had 1 years no claims, my premium went up to £1250, not sure how that works... It doesn't always make sense.
    Because as a learner you'll have a qualified driver supervising you. Once you've passed you're arguably not much more experienced and you're all on your own!

ReputationRep:
    lad wtf ur insurance is cheap stop complaining and pay it like everyone else (legally) on the road!!
    if u do any of the above u are driving with no insurance
    fyi, if u passed and didnt tell them, and park ur car on u drive/road and some one burns/vandalise/runs into it, u get no compansation what so ever

ReputationRep:
    Some insurance companies don't care about Fronting, but wouldnt risk it.

ReputationRep:
    Try adding your parents as named drivers. Putting my mum and dad on my policy brought the premium down and they get to use the car if they want. win win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maloney)
    Some insurance companies don't care about Fronting, but wouldnt risk it.
    Please don't give mis-leading advice.

Most insurance companies do not care about fronting at all, as long as you pay your premium etc. But they have a very sudden change in attitude when you crash the car and it is your fault and they have to bare the cost. Then they care a lot. Thats when they **** you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im a 17 year old MALE
    Live in a Cat.D postcode *sad-face*
    Part-time Catering staff

6.000 Annual Milage

ALso, With the lagality Can I put my parent/parents on the insurance as Main Drivers with me as a named driver/vice versa but use the car myself and them not use it at all? How can they find out if Its me using the car all the time, if I just lie and say Yes I use it once a fortnight or once a week but my parents ARE the main drivers.
    Don't lie to them is my advice.

A tip could be to add your mum as an additional driver. Not as the main driver. See what this does to your quote. It may come down (I know it doesn't make sense at face value, but give it a shot!). The added benefit is that you won't be misleading the insurance company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Please don't give mis-leading advice.

Most insurance companies do not care about fronting at all, as long as you pay your premium etc. But they have a very sudden change in attitude when you crash the car and it is your fault and they have to bare the cost. Then they care a lot. Thats when they **** you.

What source does your advice come from?

I work in insurance and I see cases of fronting on a daily basis.

Like I said, some insurance companies don't care, but others do.

ReputationRep:

so u see insurance fraud and dont report them
    hmm maybe you aint doing ur job right son

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    so u see insurance fraud and dont report them
    hmm maybe you aint doing ur job right son
    Son?

No it's the company policy on fronting. Read before you comment.

ReputationRep:
    Son?

No it's the company policy on fronting. Read before you comment.
    go on then link me t&c?

ReputationRep:

Which company is this, may I ask?

Also, what department do you work in? Go to your Claims Handlers and ask them what their policy is on fronting, you may be suprised.

The first thing an insurance company usually does when one of its drivers is at fault is to assess the proposal to see if there is anything out of the ordinary, suspicious etc.

If fault is determined to be with their driver, they are still obliged to pay out (due to provisions within the RTA), which state the insurance company must pay out where they have issued someone with a certificate of insurance.

In such a case, after the insurers have paid out damages and repair costs to the third party, they will then pursue their own customer to pay up for the costs.

Fronting is just one of the many, many reasons policies are 'voided from inception'. Fronting is actually one of the hardest to prove too, so if someone was to do it - its very easy to get away with. But I wouldn't reccomend it to anybody.

I've seen it happen time and again and the usual pattern is, that the person who tried to 'con' (slightly overdramtic term I think) the insurance company - suddenly turns all honest at sight of some circumstantial evidence, instead of sticking to their word. The telephone conversation is recorded and then can be used against the person later on if required. In 99% of cases, if the person sticks to their word they WILL get away with fronting.

I guess i've gone slightly off the topic, but my original point stands - you are right to an extent a lot of insurance companies, infact MOST insurance companies, do not give a **** about fronting at the time of issuing a quote. Infact, many do not have the systems or resources in place to detect any suspicious information submitted in the proposal. The fact is though, when it comes to the time where they have to handle accident claims, it is a matter of loss prevention and they HAVE to go through it to see if they can exclude themselves from any financial liability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Which company is this, may I ask?

Also, what department do you work in? Go to your Claims Handlers and ask them what their policy is on fronting, you may be suprised.

The first thing an insurance company usually does when one of its drivers is at fault is to assess the proposal to see if there is anything out of the ordinary, suspicious etc.

If fault is determined to be with their driver, they are still obliged to pay out (due to provisions within the RTA), which state the insurance company must pay out where they have issued someone with a certificate of insurance.

In such a case, after the insurers have paid out damages and repair costs to the third party, they will then pursue their own customer to pay up for the costs.

Fronting is just one of the many, many reasons policies are 'voided from inception'. Fronting is actually one of the hardest to prove too, so if someone was to do it - its very easy to get away with. But I wouldn't reccomend it to anybody.

I've seen it happen time and again and the usual pattern is, that the person who tried to 'con' (slightly overdramtic term I think) the insurance company - suddenly turns all honest at sight of some circumstantial evidence, instead of sticking to their word. The telephone conversation is recorded and then can be used against the person later on if required. In 99% of cases, if the person sticks to their word they WILL get away with fronting.

I guess i've gone slightly off the topic, but my original point stands - you are right to an extent a lot of insurance companies, infact MOST insurance companies, do not give a **** about fronting at the time of issuing a quote. Infact, many do not have the systems or resources in place to detect any suspicious information submitted in the proposal. The fact is though, when it comes to the time where they have to handle accident claims, it is a matter of loss prevention and they HAVE to go through it to see if they can exclude themselves from any financial liability.
    this they wouldnt check for fronting untill u have an accident, thats when they bend u over and give u a nice tickle if ur car is modified, suspect you r the main driver but not registed as the main driver and everything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    this they wouldnt check for fronting untill u have an accident, thats when they bend u over and give u a nice tickle if ur car is modified, suspect you r the main driver but not registed as the main driver and everything else
    I'd say its more than just a tickle...

... Its more a case of violent penetration.

:rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.