Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quarter Squats, Is there any point to them?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, at my student gym there are a decent number of squatters (people that do squatting exercises, not people living there illegally lol) , in fact I'd say there are nearly as many squatters as there are bench pressers which is encouraging.

HOWEVER, only a third or so of these squatters actually break parallel, with maybe 10% doing Deep Squats to the full ROM (including myself). Everyone else just sticks 100kg+ on the bar and then does some ridiculous quarter squat in which the bar goes down maybe 40 cm and their legs are at 60 degrees..

Maybe I'm just ignorant of these training methods, but is there any real advantage in quarter squatting say 130kg, compared to a 90 kg Deep/Parallel Squat?

and don't even get me started on bar pads...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc1991)
    Okay, at my student gym there are a decent number of squatters (people that do squatting exercises, not people living there illegally lol) , in fact I'd say there are nearly as many squatters as there are bench pressers which is encouraging.

HOWEVER, only a third or so of these squatters actually break parallel, with maybe 10% doing Deep Squats to the full ROM (including myself). Everyone else just sticks 100kg+ on the bar and then does some ridiculous quarter squat in which the bar goes down maybe 40 cm and their legs are at 60 degrees..

Maybe I'm just ignorant of these training methods, but is there any real advantage in quarter squatting say 130kg, compared to a 90 kg Deep/Parallel Squat?

and don't even get me started on bar pads...
    Gets you used to heavy weight, I guess. Helps your lockout. Some people like them (eg. the guy who writes Chaos and Pain).

I think the problem is that 99% of people who will partial squat in the gym aren't doing it because of the putative benefits of partials, but because they just don't know how to squat properly.

ReputationRep:
    partial squatting is useless, always has been useless and always will be useless. Fair enough, some people use them as a way to improve form. But lets be honest 99% of people who do them are just pussying out of squatting properly. Parallel and beyond or not at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm tempted to print off some literature about the benefits of full squatting, and hand them out whenever i see guys doing quater squats...

not gonna lie though, i used to be one of those guys myself until 4 months ago..

ReputationRep:
    Never been and never gonna be a partial squatter.

I have on occasion done them to work the top part of my squat, after performing full squats though!!!

Its not a bad assistance excercise but as Bish points out 99% of people are not using it as this but as a replacement for proper squats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    Never been and never gonna be a partial squatter.

I have on occasion done them to work the top part of my squat, after performing full squats though!!!

Its not a bad assistance excercise but as Bish points out 99% of people are not using it as this but as a replacement for proper squats.
    whats your opinion on going ass-to-ground against only just reaching parallel btw?

i find i can use 20% more weight if i stop at parallel than if i go A2G, does going to parallel work enough muscles, or is it best to go all the way with a (slightly) lighter weight?

(I'm currently an A2G squatter)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    partial squatting is useless, always has been useless and always will be useless. Fair enough, some people use them as a way to improve form. But lets be honest 99% of people who do them are just pussying out of squatting properly. Parallel and beyond or not at all.
    This 100%

Squatting properly is hard work, not everyone is willing to put in hard work

ReputationRep:
    whats your opinion on going ass-to-ground against only just reaching parallel btw?

i find i can use 20% more weight if i stop at parallel than if i go A2G, does going to parallel work enough muscles, or is it best to go all the way with a (slightly) lighter weight?

(I'm currently an A2G squatter)

It gets on my tits when people only have the two views, there is squatting to just below parallel which is not atg but is a legitimate powerlifting squat.

It isn't just two definatives.

For a powerlifter why go any lower than you need to? Oly squatters go atg as they have to do that on a clean/overhead squat when they snatch so thats why they do it.

Find what works for you

I post a lot over on uk-muscle, and the half squatters out weight the full squatters over there

they all argue that it targets the quads more and there's no need to go below par, ill try and drag up some arguments now

ReputationRep:
      It builds bigger quads, making them look better from the front. Most people who train for looks don't want a heavy squatters arse, and hamstrings aren't trophy muscles so they don't care about those.

Really they'd be better of doing leg presses, but the squat or die brigade gets them doing squats in a way that is counterproductive.

ReputationRep:
      I'm tempted to print off some literature about the benefits of full squatting, and hand them out whenever i see guys doing quater squats...

not gonna lie though, i used to be one of those guys myself until 4 months ago..
      That's probably the fastest way to get a slap at your gym tbh - better off just printing it off in big font and sticking it onto the wall next to the squat rack.

(Original post by TheWaterfield)
        I'm pretty sure front squats would be a safer and better alternative to the half squat if you're targeting the quads. I have no idea why someone would want a weight on their back they couldn't support or muscle imbalances in their legs, it's screaming for injury.
        I agree

but trust me these guys who quarter squat are by no means small!

I don't bother arguing anymore, people will squat how they want to squat

for example

this video

this body

ReputationRep:
          There is nothing better at making little weaklings who have 2 months of ss experience, feel superior to people who are bigger and stronger then them

ReputationRep:
          Ass to grass brah!

(Original post by TheWaterfield)
            I guess what ever works for you, I still wouldn't recommend them though.

but the fact of the matter is a lot of people don't squat properly and still have good legs

just need to try and ignore it in my opinion

ReputationRep:
            Quater squats may be bad, but I do em all the ****ing time. The jerk is basically a 1/4 (or maybe even am 1/8th) squat...

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by commandant)
            for example

this video

this body

to be fair, this guy goes NEARLY to parallel, most of the guys im on about don't go as low as him

to be fair, this guy goes NEARLY to parallel, most of the guys im on about don't go as low as him

imo above par is above par

and he is way off

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by commandant)
              imo above par is above par

and he is way off
              the last one was "better" lol

but i have seen 6' 70 kg guys, stick a 120 kg barbell on their thin shoulders and sink about 12 inches lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.