Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The other side to the wheelchair activist story. Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://ww.dontpaniconline.com/magazi.../jody-mcintyre

http://www.mitchell-images.com/#/jod...yre/4546538655

http://jodymcintyre.wordpress.com/20...tory-party-hq/

Jody Macinytre, radical pro-Palestine supporter and sufferer from cerebral palsy has made much hay of the fact he was dragged out of his wheelchair by riot police at Thursday’s protests. Yet he has previously admitted to be coordinating breaking police lines. He claims on his blog he is a revolutionary yet spent a BBC interview declaring his innocence and denied live on Sky that he was in fact a revolutionary before going on to claim that the police had no reason to move him out of the way. However he has revelled in, and incited, violence on his website.

His argument is undone when a quick glance at his blog shows that he has been at the forefront of the protests so far at Westminster and managed to walk all the way up to the top of Millbank back in November, blogging that “It was an epic mission to the top. Nine floors; eighteen flights of stairs. Two friends carried my wheelchair, and I walked.” Macintyre can’t hide behind his disability when the police treat him like any other violent trespassing thug. It’s called equality…

UPDATE: Further pictorial evidence emerges of the police being as gentle as possible in moving Macintyre and in doing so the officers put themselves in personal danger from the hail of missiles. Here is a quote from Graham Mitchell the photographer “Mr McIntyre was in the front row of the crowd and in a very precarious position, especially as he is wheelchair bound. It was clear from my vantage point that the police moved him as gently as possible and in doing so the officers put themselves in personal danger from the hail of missiles. Once he had been moved away from the front line to a safe distance, the officers sat him on a low level wall. Mr McIntyre got up and started arguing with an officer. He was so wound up that he eventually tried to strike an officer and was only stopped from doing this due to the intervention of a famale passer-by.”

ReputationRep:
    Ive been saying this all along, here's one of my posts from another thread, which is appropriate:

There is no reason why this man should be treated significantly different to anyone else. He had already put himself in danger once and was moved by police for his own safety.
    In this second incident he is sitting in his wheelchair in the middle of the road. He may have the right to protest but not in the middle of the road, in a wheelchair. There is no evidence as to whether he tipped himsulf out of the wheelchair, when confronted, or whether the officer tipped him out deliberately or even accidentally.
    Whatever happened he was then dragged to the pavement, not an unreasonable place to require him to be.
    If he was able bodied there would be nothing to comment about.
    In my view I suspect that this individual uses his disability as a weapon against the police which is a shameful act. This is standard procedure for all hooligans, vandals and yobs. If you're able enough to place yourself in a situation of civil disorder then you should count yourself able enough to accept the consequences too. Banging the disabled drum when you're roughly handled is a cop-out.

BTW this is directly from his blog from another protest:

"it was an epic mission to the top. Nine floors; eighteen flights of stairs. Two friends carried my wheelchair, and I walked. We couldn't give up now"
    This guy is a fraud, using his percieved disability for sympathy, people who are actually disabled would be ashamed.

ReputationRep:
    you only have to read his blog to realise that he deserved it.

Same identical stuff posted here:

http://order-order.com/2010/12/14/wh...ers-complaint/

Radical right wing...

ReputationRep:
      lol Police apologists flocking to this thread.

one must be truly disturbed in order to justify the actions taken by these monstrous freaks we call the police.

Btw, love the guys blog. He is one hell of a fighter.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Noam Chomsky)
      http://ww.dontpaniconline.com/magazi.../jody-mcintyre

http://www.mitchell-images.com/#/jod...yre/4546538655

http://jodymcintyre.wordpress.com/20...tory-party-hq/

Jody Macinytre, radical pro-Palestine supporter and sufferer from cerebral palsy has made much hay of the fact he was dragged out of his wheelchair by riot police at Thursday’s protests. Yet he has previously admitted to be coordinating breaking police lines. He claims on his blog he is a revolutionary yet spent a BBC interview declaring his innocence and denied live on Sky that he was in fact a revolutionary before going on to claim that the police had no reason to move him out of the way. However he has revelled in, and incited, violence on his website.

His argument is undone when a quick glance at his blog shows that he has been at the forefront of the protests so far at Westminster and managed to walk all the way up to the top of Millbank back in November, blogging that “It was an epic mission to the top. Nine floors; eighteen flights of stairs. Two friends carried my wheelchair, and I walked.” Macintyre can’t hide behind his disability when the police treat him like any other violent trespassing thug. It’s called equality…

UPDATE: Further pictorial evidence emerges of the police being as gentle as possible in moving Macintyre and in doing so the officers put themselves in personal danger from the hail of missiles. Here is a quote from Graham Mitchell the photographer “Mr McIntyre was in the front row of the crowd and in a very precarious position, especially as he is wheelchair bound. It was clear from my vantage point that the police moved him as gently as possible and in doing so the officers put themselves in personal danger from the hail of missiles. Once he had been moved away from the front line to a safe distance, the officers sat him on a low level wall. Mr McIntyre got up and started arguing with an officer. He was so wound up that he eventually tried to strike an officer and was only stopped from doing this due to the intervention of a famale passer-by.”
      Knew when I heard his revolutionary BS on the BBC there would be far more to this story.

ReputationRep:
      Oh pur-lease. :huff: This does not excuse the horrific footage of the police officer throwing the man out of his wheelchair, and having to be forcibly restrained by another police officer. The police inflict violence on innocent protesters and force them to endure near dehumanising conditions, and when frustration inevitably results in violent outbursts, they act as if they stil somehow retain the moral highground.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
      Oh pur-lease. :huff: This does not excuse the horrific footage of the police officer throwing the man out of his wheelchair, and having to be forcibly restrained by another police officer. The police inflict violence on innocent protesters and force them to endure near dehumanising conditions, and when frustration inevitably results in violent outbursts, they act as if they stil somehow retain the moral highground.
      "it was an epic mission to the top. Nine floors; eighteen flights of stairs. Two friends carried my wheelchair, and I walked. We couldn't give up now"

That's from his blog for the Tory HQ protest. He walks, possibly storms up 18 flights of stairs. I think we can both deduce he is not wheelchair bound. He used it as a tool for sympathy. People who are actually disabled would be ashamed, embarrased by his actions.

(Original post by Bektas)

That's from his blog for the Tory HQ protest. He walks, possibly storms up 18 flights of stairs. I think we can both deduce he is not wheelchair bound. He used it as a tool for sympathy. People who are actually disabled would be ashamed, embarrased by his actions.
        I don;t know how familiar you are with the effects of cerebral palsy, but it is much easier for a sufferer to stay on the move constantly than to stand without moving. That's why he's wheelchair bound when he's standing still.

You remind me of those cynics who comment "he can't be disabled" when a blue-badge holder is able to walk unaided from his car, minus a wheelchair.

These judgemental sorts just don't think of the nature of peoples' disabilities and how it affects them...in other words, they don't engage brain before engaging mouth.
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by yawn)
        I don;t know how familiar you are with the effects of cerebral palsy, but it is much easier for a sufferer to stay on the move constantly than to stand without moving. That's why he's wheelchair bound when he's standing still.

You remind me of those cynics who comment "he can't be disabled" when a blue-badge holder is able to walk unaided from his car, minus a wheelchair.

These judgemental sorts just don't think of the nature of peoples' disabilities and how it affects them...in other words, they don't engage brain before engaging mouth.
        In the interview though he did claim he could't move his arms and such. How could he walk up 18 flights of stairs without being able to move most of his upper body?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Aj12)
        In the interview though he did claim he could't move his arms and such. How could he walk up 18 flights of stairs without being able to move most of his upper body?

He was spurred on by the will of the revolution.

ReputationRep:
        given there was little police presence at millbank and violence and vandalism occured i refuse to believe that police presence always incites violence.

ReputationRep:
        I think the guys hating on him are missing the point.. They physically dragged a man with cerebral palsy off his wheelchair. Granted, he may not need the wheelchair 24/7, but that doesn't hide the fact that what the police did is unacceptable.

He wasn't trying to hide it that he can walk, he's got pictures on his Facebook of him standing perfectly still on two legs. But that's not the point. What he did was great, because it shows the police for what they really are, scum.

OK, he's getting a lot of attention, which he would not have gotten if it weren't for his unfortunate condition, but he is fighting for a good cause. How many of you would have the courage to do that if you had his condition?

Its not like he wants all the sympathy he receives. He said he doesn't see himself as any different to random people off the street, and he is trying to live his life by fighting for what he believes in, and I commend him for that. (Y)

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Square)
        given there was little police presence at millbank and violence and vandalism occured i refuse to believe that police presence always incites violence.
        Clearly you miss the point, I knew people like you would, it's that logic you have.

What you clearly don't understand, is that anything we students do that is bad, is not students fault. It's the government, the police, or some rich people who cause all the ills in society, obviously nothing we do should be held against us ever! WE ARE STUDENTS

Neg me please, it turns me on.

ReputationRep:
        People like to sympathise with him because he's in a wheel chair. There's two sides to every story I suppose..

(Original post by Aj12)
          And such?

He said he couldn't move his arms and that was the reason why he couldn't wheel himself in his wheelchair. In the interview, you see him very animated and moving his upper body from side to side. Don't exaggerate about the extent of his limitations to try to argue your case.

Have you ever tried walking upstairs with your hands tied behind your back? Of course you can walk without moving your arms...

But if you have cerebral palsy you usually can't stand still on the spot and therefore need to sit in a wheelchair. I suggest you read up on the effects of cerebral palsy on parts of the body.

(Original post by Square)
            Do you also always refuse to believe that the police can do any wrong?

The police were under orders to restrain themselves. This initiative sparked criticism of lack of action by the police and ridiculed them.

The orders were changed markedly and rapidly, and they were told to strike out and that whatever they did, they would be supported by the powers that be.

I don't know whether that last bit is definitely true, but I'll say that anyway as I'm following the example they have historically set...being disingenuous.
            • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by yawn)
            And such?

He said he couldn't move his arms and that was the reason why he couldn't wheel himself in his wheelchair. In the interview, you see him very animated and moving his upper body from side to side. Don't exaggerate about the extent of his limitations to try to argue your case.

Have you ever tried walking upstairs with your hands tied behind your back? Of course you can walk without moving your arms...

But if you have cerebral palsy you usually can't stand still on the spot and therefore need to sit in a wheelchair. I suggest you read up on the effects of cerebral palsy on parts of the body.
            18 flights of stairs is pretty extreme. Sure if it was a flight or two but 18?

Anyway if he was in fact directing people how to break through police lines then that explains why he was dealt with the way he was. The officer over reacted but did have grounds to apprehend him.

It also answers why he was reluctant to make an IPCC complaint straight away.

ReputationRep:
            Oh pur-lease. :huff: This does not excuse the horrific footage of the police officer throwing the man out of his wheelchair
            I think you imagined that footage. The only footage I saw was of a police officer running down the road, then some people's backs, then a police officer carrying him to the side of the road as someone else brought his wheelchair across, while (clearly already aggravated) people shouted swear words.

You have to fill in a lot of blanks for the footage to show what it is purported to show and I'm somewhat sceptical that a police officer sprinted down the road - in front of a large group of civilians - to throw a disabled man to the ground and drag him around for no reason whatsoever.

I would be interested in seeing a statement from the police officers involved because I think it's quite clear that we aren't seeing the whole picture here. Perhaps there was an error of judgment, perhaps even some misconduct, but there is definitely a degree of sensationalism surrounding this.

ReputationRep:
            I still don't get why they didn't just push him in the wheelchair.

Really fast, if they wanted to stop him wriggling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.