Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I start my first job tonight and I'm peeing my pants Watch

I'm just reeeeally shy and hermit-like. If anyone is nasty I'll probably have to go and sob in the lavatory.

On the training days I was so unconfident. All the other trainees really hit their stride on the salesfloor, where as I only gained dirty looks from customers and management.

This is really putting me out of my comfort zone. I hate to be relied on by the company I work for. I fear they will think of me as a dreadful employee.

Help I'm so fearful

ReputationRep:
    You are going to do SO bad tonight. Christ, would not want to be you thats for sure.

Crash and burn.

ReputationRep:
    dont be theyll sack you

ReputationRep:
    Why go anonymous just to post this? :confused: This is hardly a sensitive issue. Also if you're as awful as you make yourself out to be, how did you get the job? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Troll. Or pathetically low self esteem, i have confidence problems but not too that extent.

You're setting yourself up to fail by being so negative

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine You got the job because they thought you could do it, so there's no point feeling as though you can't or whatever. If anything does goes wrong (something will; it's only your first day) just smile though it and ask where you could improve for next time. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    They obviously thought you were good enough to get the job, so presumably you aren't as bad as you seem to think you are.

ReputationRep:
    aww try not to worry. it achieves nothing and all you'll do is psych yourself out before you even get there.
    if it is your first day, I am sure the management will try to be as welcoming as they can, but see it as a fresh start and a way to almost 're-invent' yourself, from a hermit to someone with a bit more confidence
    I am sure no-one expects your to be perfect if you have never done the sales thing before, just take everything as it comes and stop wondering 'what if this/that happens....'!
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    do ur best and u'll be fine...a bit of nerves is ok, but u prolly dont need to worry that much since u got the job for a reason, so they must've liked u

ReputationRep:
    Remember it's a job. You're not chatting people up for their phone numbers.

ReputationRep:
    It's not easy to get a job at the moment. They must have been impressed with you.

I start a new job on Saturday. I'm a bit nervous about it too, so I understand how you're feeling.

Nobody is going to mind if you are shy. But they will feel uncomfortable if you seem unapproachable. First impressions can be really important, so try to greet people with at least a smile and "hello."

You won't be expected to know everything a customer asks you. As long as you are polite and get an answer for them, that is what they want.

Good luck!!

I feel like a death row inmate on his way to the chair.

ReputationRep:
    Remember, they wouldn't have employed you if they didn't think you could do it

ReputationRep:
    What job is it? Given the reference to a salesfloor and the fact it's in the evening, I can't imagine it's that difficult. Just do it.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you change your pants before you go.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh OP is a wind up merchant!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Come one, man! Do you know how bloody difficult it is to get a job these days? The fact that they accepted your application, took you through the interview and the gave you the job, must tell you something? Obviously you must have the right skills, so be grateful and get on with it. Or if you hate it that much, you could always just quit.

ReputationRep:
    I work on wards where there are people dying. Man the **** up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaShmurff)
    Troll. Or pathetically low self esteem, i have confidence problems but not too that extent.

You're setting yourself up to fail by being so negative
    Exactly, i'm not the most confident person neither but if you apply for a job you can't complain hours before your shift...just don't apply at all...

just keep confident and relaxed you should be fine

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.