Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got offered a second chance offer on an eBay item, iPhone 4.

However the seller has told me to send the money to an alternate PayPal account and has given me the email address to do so - if I pay him for "goods" through PayPal does it still count? Or could I get him to change the PayPal account his eBay is linked to?

Help anyone?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    personally i would contact ebay about, btw how much does the seller want for it ?

ReputationRep:
    Does it still count as what? It'll be covered by paypal no matter what if that's what you're concerned about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tany_rulz786)
    personally i would contact ebay about, btw how much does the seller want for it ?
    The highest bidder bid for £520, but apparently it was a fake buyer so he offered it to me for £475.

Is it possible for him to change the PayPal account he's linked it to?

ReputationRep:
    it is weird the fact that he wants you to pay him to his other paypal account ....

Since, he can always transfer it and transfers are instantly and really cheap.
    Something must be wrong lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaShmurff)
    Does it still count as what? It'll be covered by paypal no matter what if that's what you're concerned about
    Even if I pay directly to his email and classify it as "Goods"?

So in effect I would be bypassing eBay entirely and going through as a private transaction?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it to be honest, for that price you'd be better off just buying one new anyway.
    the other paypal account has no links with ebay, if it was a scam, you'd have no way of proving anything.
    plus paypal are the biggest bell-ends in the world.
    i refuse to use it xD

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it. Unless it's a transaction between the accounts that are REGISTERED, you have no way to appeal should anything go wrong.
    If you send money to a random account, you are basically giving it as a gift, or as good as.

ReputationRep:
    Report him - The other buyer is either fake or an account he made
    There should be no problem with you sending it to his ebay one, if there was, he should have made it clear in the listing, but he didnt as he may or may not know but its against the eBay rules to make transactions for an item outside eBay unless its a classified ad.

ReputationRep:
    Ok he's now said he'll send me an invoice on PayPal with the item description etc. This is now basically under PayPal guarantee isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Really, its not worth it. I wouldn't go there, there is no reason whatsoever for him to tell you to send it to a different paypal address. You need to do it all through eBay for you to be fully protected. Doing it the way the seller suggested is like going in with a twice used jonny. Won't count for ****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    Ok he's now said he'll send me an invoice on PayPal with the item description etc. This is now basically under PayPal guarantee isn't it?
    No the item number and eBay auction must be connected to the same PayPal account you pay through in order to be covered by PayPal.
    This happened to me before, just because you pay through PayPal, doesn't mean you are able to get your money back if anything goes wrong - i.e item doesn't turn up.

Don't do it another words.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that selling through PayPal invoice would be as secure as eBay in terms of guarantee, but I'm taking the advice on board just in case it turns out to be a bad deal and have cancelled it.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    second chance offers!
    LOL
    Is this scam still doing the rounds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    The highest bidder bid for £520, but apparently it was a fake buyer so he offered it to me for £475.

Is it possible for him to change the PayPal account he's linked it to?
    you want a second hand iphone at that price? Why? how much is a new one?

EDIT: how many GB?

ReputationRep:
    new ones are 499
    well the 16GB one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Report him - The other buyer is either fake or an account he made
    There should be no problem with you sending it to his ebay one, if there was, he should have made it clear in the listing, but he didnt as he may or may not know but its against the eBay rules to make transactions for an item outside eBay unless its a classified ad.
    I second this.

I reckon he's used a friends account to bid up his item and then won it using that account so is now offering it to you as a second chance offer.

Always happens on eBay.

Also, as long as you pay through PayPal you will be okay as if he doesn't send the item then you can open a dispute so the money gets held. If he does not reply to your dispute you get refunded and he gets nothing.

DO NOT PAY BY ANY OTHER METHOD VIA EBAY EVER!

Use PayPal, you'll be okay.

Also check to see how much you are covered for in PayPals terms & conditions before doing so.

That price is expensive for a 2nd hand iPhone as well. You'd be better off paying the extra and getting a legit one - the one he has could easily be stolen.

ReputationRep:
    What's his feedback rating like?

ReputationRep:
    feedback rating means nothing really, so many scammers start off selling out little things to boost feedback and then start on the bigger things. xD

ReputationRep:
    Well if he's a power seller then I'd say that the feedback means something actually.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.