Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting over someone Watch

Basically my boyfriend finished with me a couple of weeks ago. At first it was extremely raw and painful, and now although it isn't quite as raw, I can't seem to go a day without thinking about him, willing him to contact me and change his mind and take me back. I was just wondering how people here coped with a previous break up and how long it took them to feel normal again? I need to hear some positive stories!

ReputationRep:
    I went through the same thing during October. I was diagnosed with clinical depression and became suicidal. Luckily though, having amazing parents who kept me going and having a new job to focus on, I managed to pull through the hardest time of my life.

It took me a long time before I could say his name without bursting into tears. But, about 2 months after the breakup (and while he was still keeping me hanging by not ending it properly) I decided to remove him from my life totally. I sent him an email saying goodbye and that it wasn't healthy for me to have him in my life. I deleted him (and blocked him) from facebook, and all his friends and family. I deleted his number from my phone and put all my memento's of our time together in a box in the attic. I've removed every single memory of him from my bedroom (photos etc) and am moving on.

It's normal to want them to contact you and beg to have you back, but it's not healthy. You will decide one day, when you're ready, that you are strong and don't need to be with someone who isn't sure they want to be with you. He broke up with you - surely that tells you that his heart wasn't in it? Why would you want that back in your life?

:hugs: keep yourself busy - as busy as humanly possible, but don't forget to grieve. It's a bit like grieving the death of a loved one - they were a huge part of your life and it's gone. But, you are a survivor and you will find someone else who loves you for you and wants what you want. Keep busy, see friends and family, throw yourself into some new hobbies or interests. It WILL get better, I promise. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that it takes half the time a couple was together to get over the break up, I don't know how true that is.

After getting through the melting in your bed in a pool of tears stage, go out with friends and family.

That's how I got through it.
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm going through this at the moment as well! It was very raw, and yes it's only been about 3-4 weeks, I am getting better. Yes I still constantly think about him, and every now and then have a cry, but I know it will get better just give it time. PM me if you want to chat

Broke up with my boyfriend of about 3 years last year. I think the best thing to do is to totally cut them out of your life. At first I didn't know what to do with myself because I spent my whole time for 3 years either in his company or speaking to him via skype/telephone. The only time I wasn't interacting with him in any way was when I was sleeping or at school. So naturally it felt like there was a big hole or a gap when I ended it. I knew as soon as I'd done it that it was the right thing to do and I only ever cried about it twice (that might seem very cold of me considering it was a 3 year relationship, but he was such a **** in the end that it just didn't matter). Get rid of any momentos of him or your relationship, get rid of his facebook, contact details etc and spend the next month or so being really busy and eventually you will stop thinking about him

ReputationRep:
    Sleep with lots of people. I'm joking. Well, partly. Chin up chick, life gets better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically my boyfriend finished with me a couple of weeks ago. At first it was extremely raw and painful, and now although it isn't quite as raw, I can't seem to go a day without thinking about him, willing him to contact me and change his mind and take me back. I was just wondering how people here coped with a previous break up and how long it took them to feel normal again? I need to hear some positive stories!
    Self-esteem problems. You might mistake love with a symbiotic relationship and thus, when it brokes you feel unbalanced. You need some self-love.

ReputationRep:
    It takes time unfortunately. Try to keep busy to keep him off your mind though.

ReputationRep:
    Literally just keep as busy as is humanly possible. More time you spend with your friends the more you'll see you can live without them.

When me and my ex broke up in the summer, I went to a friend's that night and sat and talked him and watched a film and stuff, and then the day after me him and our little group went camping for three days (this was planned before and a so it was a bit coincidental, but you get my drift).

Then just spent every subsequent second of the summer with friends (out, pub, festivals, shopping, cinema, anything) or getting ready for uni. We broke up in August and by the time I got to uni in mid September I was full on ready to just go out and be me again.

ReputationRep:
    Pamper yourself. Get your nails/hair done, get a facial, go shopping, whatever makes you feel good. You'll soon realise that you deserve someone who really wants you. I went through the same thing this year and it did take me a bit of time to get through things. But if you're surrounded by good friends and family then it soon gets much better Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    The more time you spend being unproductive or alone with your thoughts the harder it will be. Once you meet somebody else you'll forget all about your boyfriend, guaranteed. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im a recent single too, girlfriend broke up with me 3 weeks ago, and has just got a new boyfriend, im struggling to get over her too.
    i just go out and have fun to try and get over her, its clear she doesnt want to talk to me anymore, even though she said she was inlove with me ah phooey to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyguy90)
    Im a recent single too, girlfriend broke up with me 3 weeks ago, and has just got a new boyfriend, im struggling to get over her too.
    i just go out and have fun to try and get over her, its clear she doesnt want to talk to me anymore, even though she said she was inlove with me ah phooey to her.
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roo Bix)
    :console:
    thanks super hoodie

ReputationRep:
    thanks super hoodie
    No problem, if you need to talk, let me know :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    No problem, if you need to talk, let me know :cookie:
    okie dokie
    gotta get my head round this now, get over her and her new victim.
    its worse though ever since her little friends have been calling me some rather nasty names since the break up.

ReputationRep:
    okie dokie
    gotta get my head round this now, get over her and her new victim.
    its worse though ever since her little friends have been calling me some rather nasty names since the break up.
    But of course they would do that as a means of defending their friend, never worry about her girlfriend's calling her names because of precisely that haha.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so harsh on yourself about the fact that you think about him daily. Of course you're going to! I think anyone would think about an ex at least once a day after the break-up. The more you criticise yourself for thinking about him, the more you will think about him. Next time he creeps into your mind, accept it, but keep yourself busy to take your mind off him.

ReputationRep:
    But of course they would do that as a means of defending their friend, never worry about her girlfriend's calling her names because of precisely that haha.
    defending their friend? well you should have seen the lovely comments on Facebook. I think of them as complete and utter ignorant arses, pardon my french. verbal abuse at someone who didnt want this to happen in the first place, but the past is the past, and shes gone from my life now, both goneour sepearate ways.

ReputationRep:
    defending their friend? well you should have seen the lovely comments on Facebook. I think of them as complete and utter ignorant arses, pardon my french. verbal abuse at someone who didnt want this to happen in the first place, but the past is the past, and shes gone from my life now, both goneour sepearate ways.
    I can imagine. Don't worry about it, sounds like you're making great progress anyway. Any new girls on the scene?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.