Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you're of an ethnic minority, how do you react to someone saying this Watch

ReputationRep:
    As in someone not of ethnic minority, you've met, you're getting along and you start talking about personal things - your family, past schools, where you're from etc

"So where are you from"

You answer casually, seeing as you were born in the UK, nothing weird

"No, but where are you from"

You may think that's like straight from a comedy skit and it never actually happens but it does, anyway if you're asked that and you're from an ethnic minority, how do you / would you react?

Anyone got real and funny experiences of a conversation like that they want to share?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be offended, I'd just say "you mean my ethnic origin right?" or something along the lines of that and then answer.

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell them where I'm from (i.e ethnic origin which is always what they are referring to) and not give them the ******** answer (I was born in the UK )

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just tell them straight. Despite what ethnics may think, 99% of "white" people are not racist but simply curious...

ReputationRep:
    I usually go with the "I'm born here but my ethnic origin is..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    As in someone not of ethnic minority, you've met, you're getting along and you start talking about personal things - your family, past schools, where you're from etc

"So where are you from"

You answer casually, seeing as you were born in the UK, nothing weird

"No, but where are you from"

You may think that's like straight from a comedy skit and it never actually happens but it does, anyway if you're asked that and you're from an ethnic minority, how do you / would you react?

Anyone got real and funny experiences of a conversation like that they want to share?
    So you are talking about someone's ancestral line?

My parents come from different ethnic groups but most people who belong to those groupings inhabit the same country (which admittedly, is fairly large).

But what if your parents are each from different countries (e.g. German father, French mother - met each other in Basel, Switzerland, where you were born).

In this instance, I would say I was 'born in Basel', but would I be from Germany? Or France? I suppose you could say you are from 'Europe' (since Germany, France and Switzerland are all in Europe). But what if your father was Iranian and your mother was Swedish - would you then say you are from 'Eurasia'?

I thnk it is usually easier to just say where you were born, no? That is what I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yousif92)
    Yeah just tell them straight. Despite what ethnics may think, 99% of "white" people are not racist but simply curious...
    Can't white people be ethnic too? Or do they lack an ethnicity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Can't white people be ethnic too? Or do they lack an ethnicity?
    Lol, its such a minefield of a topic...

...YES white people can be ethnic too. But you know exactly what i mean.... Id better just shut up. Stupid thread anyway. Screw you OP, putting me in stupid situations. Prick.

ReputationRep:
    I would just ask them to clarify exactly what it is that they want to know and then give them an answer, I wouldn't get annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get offended by things like that really. You just tell them your ethnic background and they either say something like 'Oh, cool' (they probably have no idea about Armenia) or they have more questions. It's mostly just curiosity. The way it's said can affect how it should be taken though.

ReputationRep:
    lol i found out that my friend's dad dumped his girlfriend because she had a half cast daughter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >Anna<)
    I don't get offended by things like that really. You just tell them your ethnic background and they either say something like 'Oh, cool' (they probably have no idea about Armenia) or they have more questions. It's mostly just curiosity. The way it's said can affect how it should be taken though.
    Actually - surely there is a really straightforward way to do it:

a) If they ask where you are from - say the city/shire you live in ordinarily.

b) If they ask where you are really from, say the city and nation in which you were born.

c) If they ask your ethnic origin - tell then your ethnicity or ethnicities.

Easy.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know why you said if you were ethnic minority im white English but my middle name is German so people have asked me am I German or where does my family come from etc.

ReputationRep:
    I get that all the time and I don't think it's a strange question at all. Though I do understand that it can be a tough question for people who are mixed-race and/or have no links with any other country than the UK, to be posed a question implying that the UK is not really their 'country of origin'.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine. I'd just say I was born and raised in the UK but I'm orignally from Sri Lanka.

ReputationRep:
    I pull this out
    I always keep it handy :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebell100)
    That's fine. I'd just say I was born and raised in the UK but I'm orignally from Sri Lanka.
    You aren't from Sri Lanka. Maybe most of your nuclear family is, but you aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRamAlot)
    I wouldn't be offended, I'd just say "you mean my ethnic origin right?" or something along the lines of that and then answer.
    This. People get curious, but because of "PCness" they don't feel as though they can ask outright, so just hint at it, which may make them seem a little dim.. but they're probably not.

ReputationRep:
    "West London, but my parents come from India if that's what you mean."

ReputationRep:
    I generally dislike answering this question to people.

I'm of Arab decent (UAE to be specific) but was born in London and consider myself British rather than Arab....though I am proud to be part of both.

The part I dislike is how the conversation usually goes (and believe me, during freshers every person said this same thing countless times):

them: so where are you from?

me: London, you?

them: no as in, where your parents from...your ethnic background?

me: Oh, they're from UAE...Dubai to be specific.

them: oh wow, so you're arab

me: yep

them: mmmm loaded eh? I bet you have oil in your back yard :p:

me: I wish

them: I bet you dance along to "we gettin' arab moneyyyyyy"

me: :dry:

them:

them: :K:

Had to go through this same **** every day in freshers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.