Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, honours year is kicking my ass as we speak. Trying to get started on my LLB Dissertation, my topic is Parental Child Abduction. Using the 1980 Hague Convention on Int Child Abduction as the basis and discussing this with relevance to UK law and Pakistan, as its interesting...
    Anybody got any hints as to how to prepare for dissertation? Research then write, write & research together? I feel so lost, 15,000 words seems almost impossible right now.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Have you read the book legal skills by Emily Finch and Stefan Fafinski ?

it has got a chapter about dissertations that may be of use to you.

If you can, loan it from a library as I don't think it would be worth buying it for the one chapter that is of use to you, although it has good information about revision, exams, problem questions, moots, research, presentations etc....

ReputationRep:
    I found conducting research and making notes as I went along useful, but then also found myself writing some sections up as I researched them.

I also broke down the subject into chapters and allocated a word count to each chapter (this was obviously flexible) as it made the 15k words seem a lot less daunting. I actually found that I had no trouble meeting the word count as I was very interested in my research topic and found lots of information - making sure it made sense and flowed well was key to obtaining a good mark.

You'll be fine so long as you don't leave writing it all up until the last minute. I did a complete draft and amended it on several occasions and got someone else to read it through for any errors that I stopped seeing due to looking at it for so long! It was extremely helpful to have that assistance.

Finally, try to finish writing it up a week or so before it needs to be handed in. Give yourself a chance to be away from it for a couple of days, read it again, make any further adjustments (trust me, there WILL be some!), then print and submit.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AX21)
    Have you read the book legal skills by Emily Finch and Stefan Fafinski ?

it has got a chapter about dissertations that may be of use to you.

If you can, loan it from a library as I don't think it would be worth buying it for the one chapter that is of use to you, although it has good information about revision, exams, problem questions, moots, research, presentations etc....

(Original post by SevenStars)
    I found conducting research and making notes as I went along useful, but then also found myself writing some sections up as I researched them.

I also broke down the subject into chapters and allocated a word count to each chapter (this was obviously flexible) as it made the 15k words seem a lot less daunting. I actually found that I had no trouble meeting the word count as I was very interested in my research topic and found lots of information - making sure it made sense and flowed well was key to obtaining a good mark.

You'll be fine so long as you don't leave writing it all up until the last minute. I did a complete draft and amended it on several occasions and got someone else to read it through for any errors that I stopped seeing due to looking at it for so long! It was extremely helpful to have that assistance.

Finally, try to finish writing it up a week or so before it needs to be handed in. Give yourself a chance to be away from it for a couple of days, read it again, make any further adjustments (trust me, there WILL be some!), then print and submit.

Good luck!

(Original post by SevenStars)

Good luck!
    Thanks! I seem to be getting on a little now, tackling a little bit each day. I like the idea of dividing the sections and allocating word count limits etc. +Rep, it is christmas after all

ReputationRep:
    Oops, apologies for quoting you twice SevenStars

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.