Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else think this is a good idea?

I think it'd be a great way to help in the rehabilitation process of our prisoners . It'll teach them responsibility, empathy, and most importantly, to love (something that many prisoners have tragically spent most of their lives devoid of). There are thousands of animals caged up in RSPCA shelters in need of love, and thousands of prisoners locked up in prisons in need of something to give them hope.

I've emailed my local MP (Tory scum, so probably no hope) and Ed Miliband, who I suspect will be much more open to the idea.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be too bad if the pet was something other then a cat or dog.

ReputationRep:
    It might do, unless they are in prison for animal abuse.
    If they were assigned with dogs and put on a course training dogs to be guide dogs I guess there could be worse ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Tory scum won't give your local prison a shipment of hamsters? Better write to the ****ing New Statesman about this.

To be honest, though, it's probably not that bad an idea- the only problem is making sure they don't get abused and the tonnes of extra work it would create for the screws.

Edit: actually, these are bloody huge problems. Go away.

ReputationRep:
    Horrible idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    I don't think it would be too bad if the pet was something other then a cat or dog.
    I was thinking something like a rabbit or a gerbil.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)

I think it'd be a great way to help in the rehabilitation process of our prisoners . It'll teach them responsibility, empathy, and most importantly, to love (something that many prisoners have tragically spent most of their lives devoid of). There are thousands of animals caged up in RSPCA shelters in need of love, and thousands of prisoners locked up in prisons in need of something to give them hope.

I've emailed my local MP (Tory scum, so probably no hope) and Ed Miliband, who I suspect will be much more open to the idea.
    Some prisons already have schemes where prisoners train guide dogs.

ReputationRep:
    I just got flashbacks of the sewn up drug mule dog from the Talk to Frank advert....I'm going to find a happy place

ReputationRep:
    It could be a good idea as long as there was supervision to ensure the animals won't be abused by the prisoners. Studies have shown that animals improve wellbeing in places like hospitals or when older single people have pet cats/dogs. Who knows!

ReputationRep:
    Lets give the bottom feeders of society, the violent and socially dangerous, pets.

What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously though OP, it sounds good at first in theory but there is a reason why these people's freedom has been curtailed. Their ability to love their fellow man (no homo, luls) is questionable at best, let alone their ability to treat a pet the way we would expect.

ReputationRep:
    So you're going to put animals in the care of murderers and people convicted of GBH? If they have such a disregard for human life and well-being, then I doubt they will care too much about an animal.

It would require too much policing to avoid any sort of abuse, and might not even make a difference in the end.

ReputationRep:
    This is the most stupid idea that I have ever heard of. You are an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)

The thing that frightens me is how you think and what is even more scary is the fact that people like you are running the system which has led to this country becoming a complete pile of dog ****.

I hope you get mugged by one of your so-called "reformed-by-pet" convicts and just to add insult to injury, he should kick you in the balls to make sure you have no off-spring because quite frankly, you're dangerous to this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    The thing that frightens me is how you think and what is even more scary is the fact that people like you are running the system which has led to this country becoming a complete pile of dog ****.

I hope you get mugged by one of your so-called "reformed-by-pet" convicts and just to add insult to injury, he should kick you in the balls to make sure you have no off-spring because quite frankly, you're dangerous to this country.
    Is that a threat?

ReputationRep:
    No. I think it's a surefire way to cost this country even more money, waste the timeof prison staff, and cause hundreds of animals to be abused and neglected.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.