The Student Room Group

2 Gap Years?

Hi all

Would taking 2 gap years harm my chances at studying medicine. I'm on a gap year at the moment in Spain, and am thinking about going to another country next year to hone some more language skills.
ps. I have my A levels (3 A's) already, and don't intend to resit anything.

pps. I started school a year late- I'm 20 now, so would be 22 before going to uni. Would this have any impact on my application?

thanks if you've taken the time to read this
Reply 1
your so lucky...im stuck at home bored to death doing exactly same course
I also wanna know that...more because if I get four rejections this year I think I wanna take another gap year and try again..
I managed to contact one uni about that and they said that it wouldnt and wasnt any problem (hull&york)...though I'll be 19 when applying and 20 when I start in that case...
u'll be 22 and considered as a mature applicant so I dunno if that makes things trickier...

as long as u do something during those years I dont think it affects the application..
Reply 3
Original post by MizzCupcakes
I also wanna know that...more because if I get four rejections this year I think I wanna take another gap year and try again..
I managed to contact one uni about that and they said that it wouldnt and wasnt any problem (hull&york)...though I'll be 19 when applying and 20 when I start in that case...
u'll be 22 and considered as a mature applicant so I dunno if that makes things trickier...

as long as u do something during those years I dont think it affects the application..

what qualifies as doing something, though?
Reply 4
Original post by kiyoto22
your so lucky...im stuck at home bored to death doing exactly same course

what course are you doing?
Reply 5
hoping to do med
Original post by JollyFatman

work, going abroad doing something useful. U know u can see what they require on their website basically gaining more work/life experience. All that counts so dont worry :smile:

Not sitting on your arse at home every day? But seriously; you will be classed as a mature student and they will probably want to know your reasons for applying two years later as opposed to at 17/18. Other than that, find some employment and do some voluntary stuff abroad.

edit: Have you actually applied these past two UCAS cycles?
Reply 8
I'm on my second gap year and third medical application. I got offers the first time round and missed them, spent the first gap resitting and this year I'm going travelling. You have to be able to show that you have spent the time wisely and are actually doing something constructive. If i get in this year i will be 21 when starting. i don't actually know whether im classed as a mature student but you definitely would be so it could make things a bit more difficult to get round. Taking 2 gap years for medicine isn't uncommon (but tends to be more common if you have a degree).
Reply 9
Original post by elsa10
I'm on my second gap year and third medical application. I got offers the first time round and missed them, spent the first gap resitting and this year I'm going travelling. You have to be able to show that you have spent the time wisely and are actually doing something constructive. If i get in this year i will be 21 when starting. i don't actually know whether im classed as a mature student but you definitely would be so it could make things a bit more difficult to get round. Taking 2 gap years for medicine isn't uncommon (but tends to be more common if you have a degree).

is there a quota for how many mature applicants they take compared to "normal" applicants?
Reply 10
Original post by Retrospect
Not sitting on your arse at home every day? But seriously; you will be classed as a mature student and they will probably want to know your reasons for applying two years later as opposed to at 17/18. Other than that, find some employment and do some voluntary stuff abroad.

I've applied this time- no offers or rejections thus far. If it were feasible I would definitely take another year, on the grounds that my priorities will probably change when I am finishing a medicine degree.
I've applied this time- no offers or rejections thus far. If it were feasible I would definitely take another year, on the grounds that my priorities will probably change when I am finishing a medicine degree.

if u get an offer then see if u can deferr entry?

maybe they accept it maybe not...some uni's might appreciate it since they have so many applicants...I read somwhere that Hull&york asked applicants if they would consider changing the application to defered entry and be guaranteed to get in for the next year...
Sorry that this medschool is becoming every example but this is all I know at the moment...

but otherwise if u do get in maybe u should take it since u might not be that lucky the second time around... but u still have time to think until then so no worries :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by MizzCupcakes
if u get an offer then see if u can deferr entry?

maybe they accept it maybe not...some uni's might appreciate it since they have so many applicants...I read somwhere that Hull&york asked applicants if they would consider changing the application to defered entry and be guaranteed to get in for the next year...
Sorry that this medschool is becoming every example but this is all I know at the moment...

but otherwise if u do get in maybe u should take it since u might not be that lucky the second time around... but u still have time to think until then so no worries :smile:

that was only after they had given all of their offers for that particular year and tried to persuade some of the offer holders to defer. deferral is quite common but if you have an offer and want to defer it is best to contact the medical school concerned ASAP becuase when it gets to august some are unwilling to change
Reply 13
is there a quota for how many mature applicants they take compared to "normal" applicants?

i'm not entirely sure but i think there is at some schools because they like to balance out the number of school leavers against graduates against mature non-graduate applicants. best thing to do is to look on the websites - i know that for southampton there is definitely a quota but not sure about the rest.
Reply 14
Original post by elsa10
i'm not entirely sure but i think there is at some schools because they like to balance out the number of school leavers against graduates against mature non-graduate applicants. best thing to do is to look on the websites - i know that for southampton there is definitely a quota but not sure about the rest.

the bastards
Original post by Retrospect

Yeah, volunteering going abroad, employment, learning a language, it all helps and these all are good reasons for having a gap year.
Original post by elsa10
that was only after they had given all of their offers for that particular year and tried to persuade some of the offer holders to defer. deferral is quite common but if you have an offer and want to defer it is best to contact the medical school concerned ASAP becuase when it gets to august some are unwilling to change

ok, yeah no of course if one does decide to deferr then they should do it as early as possible, and prolly even before the end of march if u have an offer by then I believe...
if you did "something" during that time, I don't see why not. may be wrong, though
Reply 18
Thanks for the replies
Reply 19

If you get in this year I would NOT take another gap year... jesus you'd pay so much more in fees.... remember you'll have v long holidays at least in the first few years and you could spend a good few months abroad in them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending