Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have a conditional from Manchester for Ancient History and Reading for Ancient History and History and was hoping people could give me advice as to what would be the better choice considering that I would like to go on and do my MA at a fairly prestigious Uni [Uni grades permitting though].

I can't seem to choose one other the other since I would probably be equally happy at both; but in terms of reputation, accomodation, further education/graduate prospects I'm a little unsure. Everyone is telling me different things :confused:

If you had to choose between the two, where would you go and why?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that Manchester has a much better reputation than Reading, not that Reading has a bad one mind, Manchester's is just better. As a large city I'd also expect it to have a lot more in the way of opportunities while you study and a lot better in terms of night life.

Have you tried comparing them on Unistats.com? I just had a quick peek for you & Manchester is better for graduate employment & degree class.

So, if they were my only two options, I'd go for Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stef.strawbs.123)
    Hey,

I have a conditional from Manchester for Ancient History and Reading for Ancient History and History and was hoping people could give me advice as to what would be the better choice considering that I would like to go on and do my MA at a fairly prestigious Uni [Uni grades permitting though].

I can't seem to choose one other the other since I would probably be equally happy at both; but in terms of reputation, accomodation, further education/graduate prospects I'm a little unsure. Everyone is telling me different things :confused:

If you had to choose between the two, where would you go and why?

Thanks.
    I'd say on all counts Manchester. Reputation, city, course.
    Oh and you're a United fan, you'll feel at home immediately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiling...Rain)
    I'd say on all counts Manchester. Reputation, city, course.
    Oh and you're a United fan, you'll feel at home immediately
    Lol I am a United fan! Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miahrose)
    I would say that Manchester has a much better reputation than Reading, not that Reading has a bad one mind, Manchester's is just better. As a large city I'd also expect it to have a lot more in the way of opportunities while you study and a lot better in terms of night life.

Have you tried comparing them on Unistats.com? I just had a quick peek for you & Manchester is better for graduate employment & degree class.

So, if they were my only two options, I'd go for Manchester.

Yeah, thanks alot

No I haven't looked at that, but I will now! Lol, thanks. I've looked at whatuni and the league tables etc.

Yeah they pretty much are my two choices, I got rejected by Oxford post-interview and I'm not sure Royal Holloway is all it seems :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hi I live in Manchester and reading is also one of my choices. Though they both are quite good. The thing with Manchester uni is the people are very reserved. And can be difficult to get along with them sometimes. The classes are quite small I think there's 50 odd per class which is good be aide u get more attention from your teacher. And traveling in Manchester is very easy as the bus goes absolutely EVERYWHERE! It's not too expensive u can live on £20 a week Including bills. They have some amazing rest rants and take out places all a moniker walk from the uni. I would say to u decide on how close Manchester and reading are from where u live. Mayb u could commute.

ReputationRep:
    Sorri I mention a minutes walk way from the uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tabbybob31)
    Hi I live in Manchester and reading is also one of my choices. Though they both are quite good. The thing with Manchester uni is the people are very reserved. And can be difficult to get along with them sometimes. The classes are quite small I think there's 50 odd per class which is good be aide u get more attention from your teacher. And traveling in Manchester is very easy as the bus goes absolutely EVERYWHERE! It's not too expensive u can live on £20 a week Including bills. They have some amazing rest rants and take out places all a moniker walk from the uni. I would say to u decide on how close Manchester and reading are from where u live. Mayb u could commute.
    Ahh right Thanks for the info. I currently live in London so Reading is about 40 mins on the train from me whereas Manchester is about 2 hours and 15. I'm still trying to decide if I do want to move quite far away :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stef.strawbs.123)
    Ahh right Thanks for the info. I currently live in London so Reading is about 40 mins on the train from me whereas Manchester is about 2 hours and 15. I'm still trying to decide if I do want to move quite far away :confused:
    ohh wow u live in london so were u hoping to move out or commute?
    i understand if ur moveing out because am goin to uni next year and i am going to move out aswell i think it will b much more fun, and it will be a valuble growing and learning experiance for me.
    dnno wot else i could say about manchester really. it is a nice place and the crime rate varies depending on what area u live in. area's like cheadle, stockport, trafford have fairly low crime rate and the rent is decent price aswell (if ur not planning to live in halls) but area's like longsight, levenshume, heaton chaple, moss side are places u dnt want to be traveling alone in:cool:
    if u have any other questions let me know, i'll b happy to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'd be moving out! Whether I go to Mnchester or Reading :-)

Ohh right, thanks for the info! I find it's proving to be a really difficult decision to make :-(

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in the same boat right now! I am from the US and attempting to decide on Manchester or Reading. I like that Reading is close to London but from what I hear not many locals go much. Also, I love some of their classes. Manchester on the other hand would be a completely new experience as of city and population size.
    I just want to go somewhere to meet and make some new friends! I saw that someone wrote Manchester is reserved. Could you elaborate more?
    This is a very stressful decision and have been posting a lot about it. :confused:
    I think what is holding me back from Manchester is the price and that it's so far from London, because I want to visit there!
    Any opinions further opinions on both schools would help! Whats nightlife life? International students you know travel much?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.