Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Ah Bless!" is this condescending? Watch

ReputationRep:
    OK I know I'm a bit daft and a bit socially awkward, so anyways, I started a new job and I saw this lovely girl, and noticed she's left handed like me, and that was the only thing that I knew what to say to break the ice, as I knew she sits far away and no way could I meet her any other way.

So I said "Hey you're left handed like me hehe, we are rare"

so she replied and all was good.
    after the weekend today, I said to a guy (While she was behind him exiting the building)
    "omg i'm embarrassed, i keep asking people if they're left handed"
    She Said "He's left handed aswell" while smiling at me
    so she's being nice by speaking as I didn't look at her really and she was trying to make me feel good i guess.
    So I speak to her and say "oh I was a bit too cheerfull when I started because It's my new job so that's why I asked if your left handed lol"
    And she went "awww bless"
    She walked off to the ciggy shed, and I said bye but they didnt say anything

Do you think the aww bless was patronising or just being nice?

ReputationRep:
    majorly.

ReputationRep:
    I think she was just using it as a filler/ nice way of responding without having to think too hard or prolong the conversation since she clearly wanted a fag. Don't read much into it, girls say bless a lot, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    You also might want to drop the left handed thing with her now, think of something else for next time eh.

ReputationRep:
    XD she might think you're 'special', take it one of two ways - she finds you fairly naive, young and will proceed to treat you like an innocent 10 year old she's babysitting or she's just being nice and saying 'Aww bless' is in her normal vocabulary

For example you show her your portfolio / CV, she responds with "Awww you did that" "Would you look at you" "Bless your little heart" or you show her a piece of written work you've finished to compare to hers or something and she says "Well done!" followed by her pinching your cheeks

ReputationRep:
    Left handed people should be executed. Devil worshippers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGuy)
    :lolwut:!?

OP yeah you're socially awkward lol.

ReputationRep:
    ah bless!

ReputationRep:
    Just a convo filler I think. I say it all the time and I don't mean it to sound patronising

ReputationRep:
    Get her some left handed scissors for Christmas. You're bonded for life then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGuy)
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloise987)
    I think she was just using it as a filler/ nice way of responding without having to think too hard or prolong the conversation since she clearly wanted a fag. Don't read much into it, girls say bless a lot, trust me.
    Thanks She's so cute, she's practically got a sweet smile on even when at her desk, I just noticed she was left handed and was shocked that both cute and left handed lol, well I don't get out much
    I went back to her desk later and said something like "ohhh I keep making it sound worse I dunno what to say to people lol" and she said "aw it's ok just be yourself" or something like that I forget

But it's like I've lost my way of making friends with people in work where you're not directly working with them, so I just threw myself at her LOL...she was so cute lol I couldn't resist But I think she's very intelligent and out of my childish social skills (Or what it looks like) but still it's nice to meet her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloise987)
    You also might want to drop the left handed thing with her now, think of something else for next time eh.
    Yeah! Definitly, I was having a think while peering over lol, should I get her something instead of yabbing, and I thought maybe give her jelly babies and say "Look left handed jelly babies" hehe, but I thought that might look like I'm taking the p*ss even though it's just as a joke
    I wanna be serious and nice

ReputationRep:
    Very probably, also possibly a way to say they think it's cute, depends on the context. I seem get it quite a lot, only the other day in fact as I was really tired so...

A) Fell asleep in a friends car.

B) Put my hoody on another friends lap and used it as a pillow to sleep on the bus.

Lefty here too! Whoever said lefties should die...pfft you're jealous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    XD she might think you're 'special', take it one of two ways - she finds you fairly naive, young and will proceed to treat you like an innocent 10 year old she's babysitting or she's just being nice and saying 'Aww bless' is in her normal vocabulary

For example you show her your portfolio / CV, she responds with "Awww you did that" "Would you look at you" "Bless your little heart" or you show her a piece of written work you've finished to compare to hers or something and she says "Well done!" followed by her pinching your cheeks
    But a naieve person in a good way she'd be doing it wouldnt she? not like bullying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Very probably, also possibly a way to say they think it's cute, depends on the context. I seem get it quite a lot, only the other day in fact as I was really tired so...

A) Fell asleep in a friends car.

B) Put my hoody on another friends lap and used it as a pillow to sleep on the bus.

Lefty here too! Whoever said lefties should die...pfft you're jealous.
    haha! that's alright

I mean people shouldn't think any way of acting is wrong, no matter how young you act, so long as you're not acting like childish in a way that you are bullying someone or being selfish.
    Other than that, being excited at something as if you were 10, shouldnt matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyingaround)
    Other than that, being excited at something as if you were 10, shouldnt matter.

Like about shiny things? But then girls tend to wow at jewellery shops with all their big shinies in the window stands so I guess it's ok. Shiny gemstones...:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    Just a convo filler I think. I say it all the time and I don't mean it to sound patronising
    Cool what about when she didnt say bye when walking to ciggy shed? Does that validate the negative "Aww" But then again she took the time to speak when I was speaking to him, as she could have just smiled when I looked at her because i was actually speaking to him at that point so she must have been making me feel comfy when she said he's left handed lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyingaround)
    But a naieve person in a good way she'd be doing it wouldnt she? not like bullying?
    She may or may not, doesn't seem like she's bullying you. If you're a few years younger than her she may just see you as naive and a tad immature, inexperienced (in the job role anyway)

So don't think too much of it, if she starts making you do or say things then you should be like wtf.... then that's just manipulation, she'd be using you for comic relief. Don't fret though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Like about shiny things? But then girls tend to wow at jewellery shops with all their big shinies in the window stands so I guess it's ok. Shiny gemstones...:eek:
    I mean me being excited

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.