Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Found out my girlfriend of over two years was seeing another guy for three weeks now.

Absolutely gutted, thought we were perfect for each other, never felt this way towards someone, but there you go.

I was asking if anyone else had gone through something like this, the person you could trust most for two years goes and breaks your heart, how the **** do you get over it. Feel devastated right now. Don't help I see her everyday at school either.

How long did it take you to move on?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    your in school you dont know what love is ?

chin up and man up things could be worse for you.

ReputationRep:
    same thing happened to me only person i loved saw another girl and bam.

ReputationRep:
    It's the way it goes; if she's happier with some other guy then the best thing you can do is move on.

It's hard because after two years in a relationship part of your identity is constituted by your relation to that other person. Now that's gone, it's like you've lost a part of yourself. The best thing you can do is re-affirm your sense of identity by thoroughly throwing yourself into your hobbies, interests and friendships. Given time you'll come to care more about your friends and what's going on in your life than your ex. I've never had to do it myself but in my experience the time it takes to recover varies wildly and depends on the person. Chipper people pick themselves up quickly; others can even take years. A lot also depends on how serious the relationship was. My mum, who divorced my dad after a reasonably long marriage (10+ years) says she'll never be able to fully get over my dad because the impact he had on her life was just too big.

Also, I would say that while I don't judge people for what they choose to do with their relationships but from what I've read in books and what I've seen in life people occassionally have little affections that wear themselves out pretty quickly. Human beings didn't evolve to be completely 100% monogamous all the time. So sometimes they act on them. Thus while I'm not criticising you for leaving I do definitely want to say that if I had decided to leave a relationship because of a short affair by my partner I would feel I had given up on the relationship too easy. To misquote Hilary Clinton "There are worse things that can happen in a relationship".

I'd also want to warn you of the dangers of putting people on pedestals. People you put on pedestals can and will fall off. This will make them feel guilty and you'll feel upset - everyone's miserable. Given that human beings didn't evolve for complete and total monogamy, and simply the difficulties of one person satisfying another's sexual and emotional needs all the time, I think that asking for complete and total monogamy 100% of the time constitutes a pedestal. A little leniency goes a long way.

ReputationRep:
    Slut.

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing what new pu**y can do to take your mind off your ex...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    It's amazing what new pu**y can do to take your mind off your ex...
    Perhaps a poor choice of words, but he's got a point.
    OP, you will forget about your girl when the next one comes. The sadness will float away like a fart on a windy day.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.