Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people so quick to use the term depression so loosely? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Inspired by the attention seekers in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1490268.

Every day you'll see some idiot who has clearly just had a bad day/week/month or a bad end to a relationship claim to be depressed (mostly on HnR forum).

What annoys me is how these people are able to throw the word so easily, it's a serious a mental illness. Doctors have to go through years of medical school before they are even allowed to diagnose people with it. Yet these people know better?!

Why would you want to label a bad mood as depression?! I don't get it.

The fact that it's way more prevalent in Western culture suggests were quite spoilt. I mean I think we can all agree there's a lot of people on the other side of the world have A LOT more to be depressed about?!

The worst is those who are literally depressed for no reason what so ever, no events that preceded the depression (e.g. Loss of a spouse).

And if you're critical/less accepting about depression or people's motivation to commit suicide - then suddenly you must be ignorant.

Bit of a rant, but this issue really does annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Inspired by the attention seekers in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1490268.

Every day you'll see some idiot who has clearly just had a bad day/week/month or a bad end to a relationship claim to be depressed (mostly on HnR forum).

What annoys me is how these people are able to throw the word so easily, it's a serious a mental illness. Doctors have to go through years of medical school before they are even allowed to diagnose people with it. Yet these people know better?!

The fact that it's way more prevalent in Western culture suggests were quite spoilt. I mean I think we can all agree there's a lot of people on the other side of the world have A LOT more to be depressed about?!

The worst is those who are literally depressed for no reason what so ever, no events that preceded the depression (e.g. Loss of a spouse).

And if you're critical/less accepting about depression or people's motivation to commit suicide - then suddenly you must be ignorant.

tl;dr mostly, but I've got a point to make about the bolded bit; it's likely because we, as people who are not in the position that people who live in Third-World countries and have god knows what illnesses as a result of many things and have to walk many many miles to get water, cannot empathise with said people who live in Third World countries and have god knows what illnesses etc etc :blah: .

I don't compare myself to other people full-stop, no matter where they live or what their position; I can feel my emotions that I'm currently experiencing. *******s to what everyone else feels because I'm not them, therefore it bears no relevance on my emotions.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that that point you made really isn't relevant :awesome:

Edit: I can has typo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I guess what I'm trying to say, is that that point you made really isn't relevant :awesome:
    How ironic, not that I'm too surprised if it was too long for you to read.

ReputationRep:
    How ironic, not that I'm too surprised if it was too long for you to read.
    So? I still take great pleasure in knowing that I'm right and you're wrong

The "but if you think of people who have AIDs and drink polluted water, then you have no reason to be depressed" argument is pure bull**** used by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    So? I still take great pleasure in knowing that I'm right and you're wrong

The "but if you think of people who have AIDs and drink polluted water, then you have no reason to be depressed" argument is pure bull**** used by people who have no idea what they're talking about.
    See, that would make sense, if I that was what I said. I don't even know why you're posting on this thread and even resorting to false quotes for an invalid point.

ReputationRep:
    See, that would make sense, if I that was what I said. I don't even know why you're posting on this thread and even resorting to false quotes for an invalid point.
    *sighs*

Fine, if you want to be like that:

". I mean I think we can all agree there's a lot of people on the other side of the world have A LOT more to be depressed about?!"

Yes they probably do. Is that relevant to most people's situations? No it's not. Therefore it's an invalid point to make.

Happy now?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was posting on that other thread! Its fun taking the piss out of these 'depressed' people, they are so emotional.
    I tried to defend my point but they werent having any of it, so i trolled their asses! Haha!

ReputationRep:
    *sighs*

Fine, if you want to be like that:

". I mean I think we can all agree there's a lot of people on the other side of the world have A LOT more to be depressed about?!"

Yes they probably do. Is that relevant to most people's situations? No it's not. Therefore it's an invalid point to make.

Happy now?
    You're just focusing on that point of the text. I said depression is much more prevalent in Western Culture than any other. The point I was trying to put across is what reasons do we have to be more depressed than others?

You seem true to your user name.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it bugs the crap out of me when some friends act all miserable and say they are depressed because someone pissed them off or because they got dumped or whatever and then are fine the next day. But if you tell they aren't depressed they get offended and do the whole 'you don't know how i'm feeling' speech. All the time i'm just thinking 'maybe not but stop claiming your lousy mood is depression'.

Anyway.

Sympathies to anyone who really is depressed though.

ReputationRep:
    You're just focusing on that point of the text. I said depression is much more prevalent in Western Culture than any other. The point I was trying to put across is what reasons do we have to be more depressed than others?

Again, it's an invalid point; depression is often subjective to the individual concerning their circumstances and situation.

You too are true to your username; your arguments bore me and make me yawn.
    Yeah, I went there

ReputationRep:
    "What reasons do we have to be more depressed than others?" and "Why are people so quick to use the term depression so loosely?" are two completely different issues. At least decide what your point is if you're going to be so self-righteous about it.

ReputationRep:
    I find it pretty depressing to be honest....

ReputationRep:

Perhaps because Western Culture is so far removed from how we 'should' be living?

ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu

ReputationRep:
    Again, it's an invalid point; depression is often subjective to the individual concerning their circumstances and situation.

You too are true to your username; your arguments bore me and make me yawn.
    Yeah, I went there
    Right, well thanks for your input.
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    "What reasons do we have to be more depressed than others?" and "Why are people so quick to use the term depression so loosely?" are two completely different issues. At least decide what your point is if you're going to be so self-righteous about it.
    Falls under same general point.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that people in third world countries and those living in hardships, are less prone to depression, as their experiences mean their mindsets are a bit more toughened up than ours to little problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Hey I was posting on that other thread! Its fun taking the piss out of these 'depressed' people, they are so emotional.
    I tried to defend my point but they werent having any of it, so i trolled their asses! Haha!

Good to know you weren't being serious though. Phew. One less git in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)

Good to know you weren't being serious though. Phew. One less git in the world
    Oh dammit, ive been found out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I've heard that people in third world countries and those living in hardships, are less prone to depression, as their experiences mean their mindsets are a bit more toughened up than ours to little problems.
    Because they get on with it...they have too...They'll appreciate such little things. So such little things can make them happy ....also im not sure they have time to dwell on some of the sad, horrendous things that happen to them...because if they did, it would turn them insane (my opinion based on speaking to quite a few).

It's certainly something i've had to do - the problem is you push yourself so hard, and block out the memories so much, they do come and bite you in the ass eventually, mine being very intense flashbacks and other things....but i'll crash for 2-3 days and then force pick myself up. Forcing myself to go out the house etc, no matter how much i dont want too.

It's why i'm a little...hmmm...when it comes to depression...

I think the problems more mindset than anything else. Not many people seem to try to look on the brightside of things. No matter what problem there is, there's always a brightside somewhere, even if it is just thinking 'what doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger'.

Imo, every kid in secondary school should do a month abroad in one of these harder countries - it'll help them appreciate the little things a lot more and may help stop people getting so depressed.

Note: My post refers to general depression, not clinical depression =)

ReputationRep:
    You don't seem to have twigged that depression may not be caused by 'having something to be depressed about'

ReputationRep:

With regard to the point in bold, a lot of people who genuinely suffer from depression would not be able to pinpoint something that makes them feel the way that they do, it can be down to a hormone imbalance etc, which is a medical condition, but would not really be related to a specific event in their lives.

On the whole, I do agree with you though - it's all too easy for people to say "I'm so depressed" but I think it is quite common for it to be used to mean that someone is in a bad mood nowadays... I guess it's a word with two slightly different meanings.. Not sure I agree with it though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.