Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "In the gaseous phase aluminium chloride, AlCl3 exists as the dimer Al2Cl6. Explain how two AlCl3 molecules are linked together."

I don't know whether the answer is Ionic Bonding or Van der Waals?
    Could somebody explain which one it is, why it is so, and why it is not the other

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Two dative covalent bonds are formed.

ReputationRep:
    first of all make sure you understan this is a COVALENT STRUCTURE not an ionic one

it looks like this:

............Cl
    .............|
    ......Cl - Al - Cl
    .............|.....|
    ............Cl - Al - Cl
    ...................|
    ..................Cl

The 2 lines in bold are DATIVE COVALENT BONDS - i.e. a lone pair of electrons in the outer shell of Cl is being shared with the Al in order to give each Al 8 electrons in its outer shell, which makes it more energetically stable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conzag123)
    first of all make sure you understan this is a COVALENT STRUCTURE not an ionic one

it looks like this:

............Cl
    .............|
    ......Cl - Al - Cl
    .............|.....|
    ............Cl - Al - Cl
    ...................|
    ..................Cl

The 2 lines in bold are DATIVE COVALENT BONDS - i.e. a lone pair of electrons in the outer shell of Cl is being shared with the Al in order to give each Al 8 electrons in its outer shell, which makes it more energetically stable
    ahh I would never have got that.
    is there any way to recognise dative covalent bonds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    ahh I would never have got that.
    is there any way to recognise dative covalent bonds?
    there's not really nay way of knowing when dative covalent bonds are used unfortunately.

At A level you're told there used in the structures of the ammonium ion (NH4+), the carbonate ion (CO3 2-) and the sulfate ion (SO4 2-), though these are simplifications in fact but don't you worry about that!

Just remember this case (aluminium chloride dimer) or similar cases (ie. boron chloride OR aluminium fluoride etc) as well as the NH4+ ion and then you should be fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.