Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Catalyst lowers Activation Energy, but the reaction goes slower. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I'm doing my A2 Chem CW and I'm investigating the kinetics of the reaction between Iodide ions & Peroxodisulphate ions.

I've found that for the uncatalysed reaction, the order wrt both reactants is 1. I've found that the activation energy is about 50 KJ/mol. I've found that Fe 2+ Ions act as a catalyst and reduce the activation energy to about 35KJ/mol

Now I've hit a bit of a wall. Basically I looked at which D-block ions electrode potentials fell between the two half equations in the reaction and the only two that did were Fe2+ ---> Fe3+ and Co3+ ----> Co2+. As said above, the Iron one worked.

When I was running my experiments for the Cobalt catalyst I found that the reactions were running a lot slower than they would without a catalyst so I assumed that it didn't work as a catalyst and was actually slowing down the reaction.

However, now I've come to analyse the data I've found that, using the Arrhenius equation, the activation energy with Cobalt 2+ ions is actually lower then both the uncatalysed reaction and with the Iron catalyst. About 34KJ/mol.

Is this possible? How can a catalyst make the reaction go slower whilst lowering the activation energy? The only thing I can come up with is that the Pre exponential factor has somehow decreased but I don't know why.

Any Ideas?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Im on a year out lol but I remember some of advanced H chemistry. Is it possibly something to do with the fact you have lower energy within the particles and therefore less collisions within a given time period? Hope thats of some help, can't really think of anything else.

ReputationRep:
    are you taking into account that adding another component to the mixture will dilute your reactants and thus give you a lower concentration and so rate of reaction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerbreadman85)
    are you taking into account that adding another component to the mixture will dilute your reactants and thus give you a lower concentration and so rate of reaction?
    Yeah I am. I'm not adding much anyway but I have taken it into account.

I've had a look online and the catalyst definately shouldnt work, but I just can't understand why my results show it to have a lower activation energy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.