Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been shopping around and I really want to go to ALRA. I really want to find some brilliant pieces to do ( I am 24, 5'5", dark red hair and curvy) ALRA seem to have extremely anal guidelines and I am so lost in where to turn in finding a modern piece. The guidelines are as such:

You need to:

prepare two audition monologues* each lasting no longer than two minutes:

>. one from a contemporary play
    (after 1950, but not any play by Stephen Berkoff, Sarah Kane or John Godber)

>. one from Shakespeare
    (but not non-human characters like Puck from 'A Midsummer Night’s Dream' or Ariel from 'The Tempest', or any Chorus)

* Monologues – please make sure you have read the plays your monologues come from. Be sure your monologue works as a stand alone speech and does not require input from another character.

We want you to:

>. choose pieces that match your age and gender and do not require a change of accent.

>. choose pieces that demonstrate communication with (an)other character(s).

>. choose pieces that have an emotional journey.

>. choose pieces that have a significant moment of change.

>. work without props or special costume.

>. avoid using chairs. Although it is acceptable to sit down, to remain seated throughout the speech gives us less opportunity to assess your physical characterisation.

Does anybody have any idea of any pieces? I would be so grateful..thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at The Winter's Tale; Hermione has some good speeches that should fit that criteria.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.