Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A stereotypical gay man is very camp, feminine, with lots of female friends. A stereotypical gay woman is butch, possibly large, with short hair and a masculine dress sense. You know the type, you see them walking down the street and you'll instantly assume they're gay without even speaking to them, and most of the time you'll be right. Of course probably the majority of gay peope don't fit exactly into these stereotypes, but they are there for a reason.

You could also argue that you'd know if someone was straight too, i.e. a womanising 'lad' or girl who dresses provocatively to attract attention. You'd probably assume that these people were straight, although these aren't stereotypes for the general straight community.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any physical stereotypes for bisexuals? The reason I'm asking this is because, while a few people are surprised to hear of my sexuality, the majority of people either aren't surprised at all, or some say they even knew or expected it from me. And I can't understand why! It's intriguing me. Do I give off some sort of bi vibe??

How would you stereotype a bisexual person? I'm a girl, but I'm curious if bisexual boys have a stereotype too.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you give off a "bi vibe"... it could just be that you walk down the street and say "Mmm, she'd get it" without realising? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The most common stereotypes are:

bi male: same as gay male
    bi girl: attention seekin' ho

Disclaimer: this is not my opinion, its just the stereotyping I am aware of.

ReputationRep:
    They are probably very open minded. And liberals.
    (though I've known some Bisexuals who are attention whores to the max!)

Can't think of any other stereotype

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by make-cookies-not-war)
    I'm a girl, but I'm curious about boys too.
    I'd say I'm bicurious, but the thing about being bi is very complex. When you say you are "Curious about boys too", it suggests you're a lesbian and not a bisexual.
    I don't think there is any one stereotype, although I have a few ideas surrounding what it could be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I doubt you give off a "bi vibe"... it could just be that you walk down the street and say "Mmm, she'd get it" without realising? :dontknow:
    Haha, perhaps you're right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarlsberg)
    I'd say I'm bicurious, but the thing about being bi is very complex. When you say you are "Curious about boys too", it suggests you're a lesbian and not a bisexual.
    I don't think there is any one stereotype, although I have a few ideas surrounding what it could be.
    More leaning towards the lesbian side of things, not straight out lesbian. It's assumed that most bi people have a "preference" when it comes to partners sexual or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh sorry what I meant was "I'm a bisexual girl so I want to know if we have a stereotype, but I'm also curious if bisexual boys have a stereotype". I can see how what I said was misleading, my bad!

What are your ideas may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    but they are there for a reason.

Piss off.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm the opposite of an attention whore! And I think anyone who knows me knows this...but yes that is the stereotype I've heard most and it's a bloody annoying one, I also know 'bisexual' girls who like to play up this stereotype :sigh:

However, it is well known that I'm open minded and liberal

ReputationRep:
    Most people assumed I was straight when I was with my ex (male) but now I have a girlfriend the people who were unaware of my sexuality were just like :lolwut: - but none of them have said I'm an attention seeker? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draikzer)
    Piss off.
    ?? I'm sorry if I offended you, it was hardly my intention

ReputationRep:
    From my school/college a person who has openly claimed to be bisexual seems to be depicted as "Gay but still wants to hide it." i.e closet gay.

Probably because i live in a kinda homophobic area :I

ReputationRep:
    Ohh sorry what I meant was "I'm a bisexual girl so I want to know if we have a stereotype, but I'm also curious if bisexual boys have a stereotype". I can see how what I said was misleading, my bad!

What are your ideas may I ask?
    I'd say nowadays it's become more "popular" to become lgbt, especially bi because you can swing between the two. People like Lady Gaga and Rihanna kind of emulate that ideology, and I just find it annoying. I don't think you should see the "Trend" of sexuality, rather the sexuality itself. Just because it's "alternative" at the moment doesn't mean to say it should become a trend in my opinion. Not that I don't like Rihanna or LG's music, I just don't like that they make popularity out of being bisexual and people "become" bisexual because they are. But I suppose you could also say that they're promoting gay equality which is a benefit - I have too many internal battles.

I think the stereotype is vague at the moment, but it's slowly shaping into being a typical university student, intelligent and is subtle in their affection for their "Weaker" sexual preference, but still maintains enjoyment for that sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    The most common stereotypes are:

bi male: same as gay male
    bi girl: attention seekin' ho
    This seems to be pretty common.

I've not known many people who told me they were bi, but interestingly one girl who is bi literally is half butch and half feminine. Sometimes she dresses, looks and acts like a butch lesbian, and other times she's a very feminine and normal girl. I don't know her preference for either gender fluctuates along with these changes, or maybe she's always up for either and just like dressing/acting in both ways according to the situation.

ReputationRep:
    All the bi girls I know/knew were attention seeking whores.
    I'm not saying that's the case, just that I probably had sucky friends.

ReputationRep:
    Scene kid style for (slightly younger, 14/15/16) girls, penchant for a watered-down Morrissey/Pete Doherty fashion sense for the (mid to late teen) boys.

This was how it was at home anyway, not a stereotype I personally apply to people as a rule, but that was how they all identified themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say nowadays it's become more "popular" to become lgbt, especially bi because you can swing between the two. People like Lady Gaga and Rihanna kind of emulate that ideology, and I just find it annoying. I don't think you should see the "Trend" of sexuality, rather the sexuality itself. Just because it's "alternative" at the moment doesn't mean to say it should become a trend in my opinion. Not that I don't like Rihanna or LG's music, I just don't like that they make popularity out of being bisexual and people "become" bisexual because they are. But I suppose you could also say that they're promoting gay equality which is a benefit - I have too many internal battles.

I think the stereotype is vague at the moment, but it's slowly shaping into being a typical university student, intelligent and is subtle in their affection for their "Weaker" sexual preference, but still maintains enjoyment for that sex.
    Completely agree with you about the trend thing. Thanks for your input, very interesting

ReputationRep:
    The main, and worst, stereotype of a bisexual person is not their mannerisms or dress sense, rather their sexual habits.

Bisexual people are often considered sexually promiscuous, which can make it very difficult for them to get into relationships, simply because prospective partners will be wary of being cheated on.

ReputationRep:
    no more than any straight or gay person.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.