Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ive got an offer of BBB from nottingham and i think i will get ABC at A-level.
    is there a chance i may get accepted although i dropped a grade?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    It differs from university to university. Email admissions or phone them up

ReputationRep:
    Does your offer just say "BBB from three subjects at A-level"? Very often they'll say "BBB or ABC", or "300 points". You could phone them to check if you want a definitive answer. If the offer is BBB and you actually got ABC or even AAC, technically they could still not accept you as you would have missed the offer, but it would strike me as very harsh if they actually did that.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    They don't have to accept you, but on results day you can always phone up and ask. However, if it's a very competitive course don't get your hopes up.

I think it would be advisable to try and put extra work into the subject you think you'll get a C in.

ReputationRep:
    Depends whether the C is in a subject that indicates you may struggle with your course. For example if you apply for maths and they offer you ABB and you get AAC, then they will probably say no if the C is in maths but yes if the C is in something less relevant.

ReputationRep:
    okay thank you . im gonna leave it till after jan exams and see what i get then. although i am putting in LOADS of work to try and get that B!

ReputationRep:
    oh and btw its Civil engineering . i think ill get an A in d&t graphics, B in maths and C in physics

ReputationRep:
    in that case I would get working at your physics because they probably wouldn't be able to ignore that. If it was architecture then they probably would.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, being as its engineering I think your maths & physics are more important to them..

If you were studying for example Maths, Physics and English/P.e or something non-scientific, and got a ABC with the C in the non-science they would care much less.

They are not obliged to accept you if you dont meet their terms, so do your best

ReputationRep:
    Entirely depends on the university. Phone 'em up and seem what they say.

ReputationRep:
    Depends whether they asked for points or grades. Email them.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard they usually accept you as long as the A/B is in the subject you wish to pursue.

ReputationRep:
    Last year my insurance was Dundee for CCC. I got BBD and was rejected on results day.

Now, my grades were actually worth more UCAS Tariff Points and I got one of the Bs in biology (the subject i applied for).
    The reason, i later found out, for my rejection was because the uni had over-subscribed on the course. They would of let me in but because of the over-subscription they let me go due to the dropped grade to save them a £3000 fine - which i can kinda understand, it still hurt mind..

So it goes to show the Uni AND course choice matter when considering if there is room to negotiate an offer on results day (it never hurts to call them)

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.