Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need a watch with a smooth second hand Watch

ReputationRep:
    As above really, looking for one that looks classy but is cheapish (up to 80 quid)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    OK then

ReputationRep:
    http://www.watchshop.com/Mens-Watche...rting=pricelow

Not really sure what style you're after, but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    As above really, looking for one that looks classy but is cheapish (up to 80 quid)
    Thanks
    Nice name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bramz19)
    http://www.watchshop.com/Mens-Watche...rting=pricelow

Not really sure what style you're after, but there you go.
    Yeh that kind of thing, the seconds hand shouldn't tick, it should just whir around if you see what I mean

ReputationRep:
    Yeh that kind of thing, the seconds hand shouldn't tick, it should just whir around if you see what I mean
    Yep, all of those are like that. I have a Tissot Le Locle Automatic, it was a bit shaky to begin with, but it's lovely and smooth now, I really love it.

ReputationRep:
    Good man, nothing like a proper mechanical watch. The best value mechanical watch you can buy today is probably a Seiko 5 - loads of different dials and bracelets to choose from, and they all have transparent case backs, so you can actually see the movement in action. I would personally recommend this one - cool dial, good lume and a nice Jubilee-style bracelet. I've owned a Seiko Monster, which is one of their diver's watches, which featured this particular movement, and accuracy wasn't too bad - gained a steady 8 seconds per day, which is pretty impressive given its price. The Seiko 5 is a proper, mechanical watch, that has way more soul than some of the ridiculous tat that fashion houses are pushing for several times the price. You won't be disappointed

ReputationRep:
    I'm incredibly sensitive to ticking watches as well, I once got a watch as a present and I could still hear it once I stuffed it into a sock in a sock drawer on the other side of my room. It was like the dripping water torture.

(Original post by pinkpont)
    Since your sig says you're a watch expert, feel like helping me out?

This is the watch I'm getting for Christmas: http://www.watchshop.com/ladies-dkny...p99932166.html

Do you have any idea if this one would tick? And if it did, can I perform some kind of watch surgery on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewmeister)
    I'm incredibly sensitive to ticking watches as well, I once got a watch as a present and I could still hear it once I stuffed it into a sock in a sock drawer on the other side of my room. It was like the dripping water torture.

Since your sig says you're a watch expert, feel like helping me out?

This is the watch I'm getting for Christmas: http://www.watchshop.com/ladies-dkny...p99932166.html

Do you have any idea if this one would tick? And if it did, can I perform some kind of watch surgery on it?
    Well, as it has no seconds hand, you wouldn't notice it ticking per se, but it is a quartz watch - if it did have a seconds hand, it would tick. Ladies' watches are a little bit more difficult to find with proper mechanical movements, most brands tend to just stick a quartz movement in, even in high-end brands like Omega (unless you pay a serious amount of money)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpont)
    Well, as it has no seconds hand, you wouldn't notice it ticking per se, but it is a quartz watch - if it did have a seconds hand, it would tick. Ladies' watches are a little bit more difficult to find with proper mechanical movements, most brands tend to just stick a quartz movement in, even in high-end brands like Omega (unless you pay a serious amount of money)
    Oh I didn't even notice that, yay! Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.