Any advice on when to exchange for Euros? Watch

This discussion is closed.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi, I'll be going to Verona and Venice for a week in March with my college since I'm currently doing AS Italian. My mum keeps asking me how much money do I want and when I'll be exchanging it to Euros. She said that she will give me £400 spending money (although I will probably just take half that amount) but I want to see when the Pound is strong again so that I can get more Euros per Pound! At the moment, I think £1 is worth €1.38 (today's The Sun) while yahoo.co.uk says it's worth €1.45! I think my Solo card also works abroad (Mastro & Cirrus) so I might not need to worry after all. But since I will be in a group, I wouldn't want to disrupt the group and say 'Damn, I need to go to the bank!'.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How much is a euro worth here, and why are we using euro's now? I thought we're keeping the pound at the moment. No euro - i don't like euro's.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
(Original post by waiting2smile)
How much is a euro worth here, and why are we using euro's now? I thought we're keeping the pound at the moment. No euro - i don't like euro's.
I'm sorry but did I mention Italy?
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
I'm sorry but did I mention Italy?
I wasn't really referring to your situatiob but the situation here, why are we taking euro's at the moment?
jediknight007
Rep:
?
(Original post by waiting2smile)
I wasn't really referring to your situatiob but the situation here, why are we taking euro's at the moment?
Sorry, don't mean to be rude but if you want to discuss the Euro, could you please make a new thread or something?
amexblack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think my Solo card also works abroad (Mastro & Cirrus) so I might not need to worry after all.
With Maestro you will be able to take cash out from ATMs abroad, as a cash card. Cirrus allows you to use it in most shops, as a debit card (they may ask u to type your PIN on a keypad). You probably want to avoid this though as the exchange rate charged by your bank is appalling, and there will be also be an additional charge each time you withdraw cash.

The current live mid-market rate as of 2004.01.21 14:47:28 GMT is 1.45218 Euros to 1 GBP.
amexblack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh, and i wouldn't worry about when to change pounds to euros. The actual market fluctuations between now and march will be insignificant compared to the rates and commissions offered by different places, on just £400. Go to a thomas cook (or shop around on the highstreet). With thomas cook you will get charged no commission when you come to buy pounds back (if you have any euros left over) and their rates will be better than those in the airport.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
(Original post by amexblack)
Oh, and i wouldn't worry about when to change pounds to euros. The actual market fluctuations between now and march will be insignificant compared to the rates and commissions offered by different places, on just £400. Go to a thomas cook (or shop around on the highstreet). With thomas cook you will get charged no commission when you come to buy pounds back (if you have any euros left over) and their rates will be better than those in the airport.
Well, I would probably like to keep my Euros though since I will be going to Ireland in the summer. I think I will probably give it a month then before I start exchanging.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry, don't mean to be rude but if you want to discuss the Euro, could you please make a new thread or something?
i don't think it's worth another thread, your thread is concentrated on the euro so i merely asked my question. Sorry to have offended you!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (473)
59.35%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.4%
No- I want it (228)
28.61%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.65%

Watched Threads