Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GEP Medicine 2012 (GAMSAT Universities only) Watch

• View Poll Results: For those with a 2.2, which university is your first preference?
    Nottingham
    69.23%
    SGUL
    23.08%
    Peninsula
    0%
    No preference
    7.69%

ReputationRep:
    Appyling to any of the following universities for 2012 entry?

*The Peninsula Medical School (5 years undergraduate)
    *The University of Nottingham at Derby (4 years)
    *St George’s, University of London (4 years)
    *Swansea University (4 years)
    *Keele University (4 years)

When do you intend to sit the GAMSAT?
    I plan to sit the Irish version in March and if it goes horribly wrong, I will resit the UK version in September.

Which universities do you intend to apply to?
    Because I got a 2.2, I will only apply to Nottingham, SGUL and Peninsula ... with Nottingham being my first preference.

This thread is open for any discussion relating to either the GAMSAT, applying to the above universities etc

ReputationRep:
    Also, anyone going to the Nottingham GEM open day?

An Open Day for entry into the Graduate Entry Medicine (2012 entry) course will be held on Saturday 22nd January 2011 at the University of Nottingham Medical School based in Derby situated at the Royal Derby Hospital, DE22 3DT.

I'll be there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerfuffled)
    Appyling to any of the following universities for 2012 entry?

*The Peninsula Medical School (5 years undergraduate)
    *The University of Nottingham at Derby (4 years)
    *St George’s, University of London (4 years)
    *Swansea University (4 years)
    *Keele University (4 years)

When do you intend to sit the GAMSAT?
    I plan to sit the Irish version in March and if it goes horribly wrong, I will resit the UK version in September.

Which universities do you intend to apply to?
    Because I got a 2.2, I will only apply to Nottingham, SGUL and Peninsula ... with Nottingham being my first preference.

This thread is open for any discussion relating to either the GAMSAT, applying to the above universities etc
    Hi!

I'm going to apply to St Georges, Swansea, Nott, Leicester or Kings for 2012 entry.
    Planning on sitting GAMSAT in summer, have to start studying soon as have only ever studied science to GCSE level (bbc) hence the restrictions on where i can apply.

Is nott your first choice?

Just out of interest are you from a science background? And have you had healthcare experience?

ps. hope the irish gamsat went well!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    The good thing about Swansea is that they don't have a GAMSAT cut-off, they just use it as part of your application. So if you do horrifically in the GAMSAT (like I did) you can still get an offer (like I did)

ReputationRep:
    What are the best books to buy for the GAMSAT ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rattlingdog)
    What are the best books to buy for the GAMSAT ??
    Griffiths GAMSAT guide (online PDF) and the official ACER ones from UCAS (don't buy those ones of Ebay) and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Nottingham, Keele and then a couple of UKCAT ones incase the GAMSAT goes badly (Sheffield, 5yr & Newcastle, 4yr).

How far in advance do people generally start revising for GAMSAT? I'm not too worried about the first section but I haven't done physics since GCSE so definitely need lots of prep for the last section!

ReputationRep:
    Also can anyone recommend what books they found useful to revise for the 1st year uni level chem and bio.

ReputationRep:
    Organic chemistry for dummies is useful. You don't need 1 year chem and bio, but a little further knowledge than A2 for organic chemistry (in reality you don't even need that!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateb566)
    Also can anyone recommend what books they found useful to revise for the 1st year uni level chem and bio.
    I used Khan Academy. It is amazing, and free, and I learn better from videos than books.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Edit: Oh crap, you said first year of uni! Then I've no clue, sorry. What Wintermute said! I think Khan Academy is like A Level standard, but it should be enough.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll check them out! ..I can't believe how expensive the gamsat material, let alone the test is!

ReputationRep:
    oh and check out Chemguy's organic chemistry vids. It's worth paying for it on his site, he's a great teacher!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...chemistry&aq=0

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the links, they look really useful. I've been reading a lot about how long to revise for gamsat and a lot of people have said for section III a lot of the information you need is in the question and it's more about logic and reasoning skills than memorising facts.

In reality I only have about 4 months to properly revise for gamsat due to uni exams ...so I’m hoping this is the case as I have only done A-level chemistry so learning bio and phys in 4 months would be a little optimistic! How much of this is true? For most the questions is the info provided or do you also need a pretty good grounding in the subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm kind of confused about when you can register and when the actual test is for UK students?

For those who want to apply October 2012, when's the GAMSAT registration open date, and when is the actual test?

thanks much appreciated,

xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.