Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have a few questions regarding the engineering course at Durham

Well first of all, how well do employers respect the course? From the people in industry that I know, most would recommend oxbridge, imperial, bristol, and southampton. The thing is, I would like for one of my UCAS choices to be general engineering (giving me more time to consider which branch to comit myself to). The rest of my choices are for aeronautical engineering, and that's where Durham seems to slip up. On the site they state:

Durham engineering degrees are accredited by: the Institution of Civil Engineers; the Institution of Structural Engineers; the Institution of Engineering and Technology; and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.

So why is it not accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society? How much will it matter if it is not accredited? Chances are I will go into aeronautics, so this is very important for job prospects is it not? Durham's course looks really good, but it'd be a really bad idea to go for it when their aeronautics branch isn't accredited.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Theory)
    Hey, I have a few questions regarding the engineering course at Durham

Well first of all, how well do employers respect the course? From the people in industry that I know, most would recommend oxbridge, imperial, bristol, and southampton. The thing is, I would like for one of my UCAS choices to be general engineering (giving me more time to consider which branch to comit myself to). The rest of my choices are for aeronautical engineering, and that's where Durham seems to slip up. On the site they state:

Durham engineering degrees are accredited by: the Institution of Civil Engineers; the Institution of Structural Engineers; the Institution of Engineering and Technology; and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.

So why is it not accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society? How much will it matter if it is not accredited? Chances are I will go into aeronautics, so this is very important for job prospects is it not? Durham's course looks really good, but it'd be a really bad idea to go for it when their aeronautics branch isn't accredited.
    If this is the case then why not just study aeronautical/aerospace engineering? It's not as if job prospects are poor in that industry.

ReputationRep:
    I assume that this is because Durham may not offer any modules that relate to that area and thus cannot get the accreditation.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handboo...earch_level=-1

this is the list of all engineering modules.

If in doubt, ring the department - 0191 334 2000 and ask for engineering admissions.

edit:

although having said that, there is this: http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handboo..._code=ENGI4231

ReputationRep:
    you could probably still get a job in the aeronautics industry with a degree in general eng but if you want to become a chartered aeronautical engineer (where the real money's at ) then you'll have choose a course accredited by the raes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.