Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If so how?

thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I certainly hope not.

ReputationRep:
    Only when it reveals you're having an affair. Ouch!

ReputationRep:
    What happens when you stare at the sun?

ReputationRep:
    Can totes blind you, you'd be in ridic pain.

ReputationRep:
    no otherwise our eyes would be filled with cancer

ReputationRep:
    Yes. SHUT YOUR EYES D:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It can be. Depending on the intensity and whether or not the light rays are focused.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it can be. In particular when highly concentrated (lasers) and to eyesight

ReputationRep:
    yes, hence why looking at the sun down a telescope will pretty much instantly blind you. High intensity light is quite dangerous, although I must admit I have no idea why, it may just be the heating effect denaturing proteins in the retina or something. Also UV light can cause damage, although this isn't technically visible because our eyes block it I think. Apparently though you can see it if you have had certain types of eye operation where they remove whatever blocks it, people have suggested this happened to Van Gogh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    yes, hence why looking at the sun down a telescope will pretty much instantly blind you. High intensity light is quite dangerous, although I must admit I have no idea why, it may just be the heating effect denaturing proteins in the retina or something. Also UV light can cause damage, although this isn't technically visible because our eyes block it I think. Apparently though you can see it if you have had certain types of eye operation where they remove whatever blocks it, people have suggested this happened to Van Gogh.
    Our eyes don't "block" UV light. The receptors in your eye only pick up certain wavelengths of light (the visible spectrum) in the same way that you can't hear high pitched or very low pitched sounds. The UV gets into the eye, but you just can't see it. This is why sunlight is so dangerous, kind of like a burn you can't feel

Lasers are dangerous because they are single frequency (i.e. pure) light. They are extremely powerful at this specific frequency and as such cause a massive amount of energy to be absorbed. This can cause cell damage (bye bye eyesight) or it can burn. Normal light is across several frequencies, so tends to be much lower energy at each level.

Kind of like the difference between a sprinkle of water or a high power jet - the same amount of water can be used but one is destructive

ReputationRep:
    Or possibly the fact that visible light sources give out other wavelengths of EM, like UV and the such, causes damaging effects? Anyway, we know that these other forms cause problems, so its certainly possible that visible light does too. Look into it about looking at the sun tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImScaredOfFil)
    Or possibly the fact that visible light sources give out other wavelengths of EM, like UV and the such, causes damaging effects? Anyway, we know that these other forms cause problems, so its certainly possible that visible light does too. Look into it about looking at the sun tbh
    Light is a form of energy. When the body absorbs it it turns to heat. You need a lot of light to generate a small amount of heat, but enough of it will cause damage at the cellular level. Hence increased risk of cancer and retina burn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsparkss25)
    If so how?

thankyou
    http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5220937...age-eyes_.html

Explanation of why looking at the sun is damaging, its all down to UV. Laser's will be the same I reckon

ReputationRep:
    The Bush Mail claims that light both causes and cures cancer. So clearly, wrap up in tinfoil every time you want to go outside, unless you have cancer, in which case go sunbathing often

ReputationRep:
    But heat is also just IR radiation... And this is why Physics is so uncertain, gah

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Because you have exposed your eyes to light .... a 1000 cancer's will form and your eye will explode.

ReputationRep:
    A 60W light bulb? Probably not... unless you put it next to your face.

A Gigawatt laser? Probably... unless you're miles away from it.

It all depends on the energy and intensity. But, as a rule of thumb, stay away from powerful lasers anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Jonathan)
    Yes. Because you have exposed your eyes to light .... a 1000 cancer's will form and your eye will explode.
    Really? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImScaredOfFil)
    http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5220937...age-eyes_.html

Explanation of why looking at the sun is damaging, its all down to UV. Laser's will be the same I reckon
    thanks it really helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.