Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Females, describe PMS (and similar) please Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In spite of being a woman myself, I don't know how it feels because I don't get any added complications ... but would like to understand what my female friends are complaining about. However, it just seems sort of indelicate and awkward to actually ask people I know.

So, girls/women of TSR who experience things like PMS, do you fancy telling a complete stranger what it feels like? If you have anything you can compare it to as well (for example, do cramps feel like sciatica?), that would be great.

Thank you. :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt be able to tell you, because i dont know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KNOB-head)
    i wouldnt be able to tell you, because i dont know.
    So you posted to essentially re-phrase my OP? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Kinda like being punched in the womb repeatedly with a jack hammer.

The nice doctor gives me lovely drugs for them though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    So you posted to essentially re-phrase my OP? :confused:
    no. its just something i wanted to say, and i said it.

ReputationRep:
    I get cramps, tension headaches, tiredness, I'm more irritable and emotional and my boobs get bigger so I get backache.

I'm not quite sure how to describe how cramps feel tbh, but its very painful for me the first couple of days I suffer with cramps really badly and not even doubling up on paras and ibu helps - nowhere near as bad as before I was on the pill though!xx

ReputationRep:
    massive bloating, cramps, etc. a few times it's gotten to the point where i havent been able to walk. and, i'm no little sissy girl either. it legitimately hurts like none other.

as far as emotions go, i'm not usually overly-emotional, but when i'm PMSing i tend to get more emotional. i remember one time i went from crying to laughing to being angry to being tired to laughing in about a 20 minute time period.

bad (meaning heavy) periods run in my family (hence the terrible cramps) and PMS as well, so i blame them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roocky)
    You've experienced that often, then?

ReputationRep:
    Well all the possible symptoms are headaches, bloating, backache, being emotional, blah blah blah and then there's the CRAMPS! UGH! It's kind of like when you pull a stomach muscle, only it comes in waves, and it's soooo much worse, and it's mixed with like digestive stomach aches. I've literally, LITERALLY not been able to walk before, and they last for 7 days, non- stop, and they are really really heavy, like new tampon and pad every hour heavy. I really can't explain the cramps very well, but I'd imagine it's like the early contractions when giving birth lol x
    And I hate you for not having them! :P
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoRockGirl)
    And I hate you for not having them! :P
    x
    My friends say that as well. That and, "I would tell you why I'm so pissed off, but you wouldn't actually understand it, to you it's just a two-day minor inconvenience not an 'effing horrible week."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    My friends say that as well. That and, "I would tell you why I'm so pissed off, but you wouldn't actually understand it, to you it's just a two-day minor inconvenience not an 'effing horrible week."
    lol sorry x but you are extremely lucky to have skipped one of the main horrors of being a woman lol x

ReputationRep:
    Thing is with PMS, it's not the most painful thing in the world but it goes on for SO LONG continually that it probably feel worse than something a lot more painful, if you get me? xx

ReputationRep:
    Crampage, and depression waa

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so lots of people are saying cramps but not really giving more details...

I don't know if anyone else has sciatica, but it's like a throbbing pain at the bottom of your back that makes one side of your buttocks and one leg/foot numb, with occasional pins and needles - is that similar at all? How about a slipped disc, can anyone compare cramps to that?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever suffered from PMS. I do however feel very crappy about my body and very unsexy and unconfident if I'm ever over my boyfriend's when I'm on as I generally feel quite icky that I'm bleeding. I then get a bit emotional about our relationship (even though there's nothing at all to worry about) because I feel really unconfident in myself.

I only tend to get cramps at the very beginning of my period. The only way I can describe it is that it's very similar to having upset stomach (okay, we all know I'm talking about diarrhoea here); when you get those horrible pains when you know something's going to erupt - but, with cramps, the pain in your ovaries. Mine only tend to last a few seconds but they're awful.

ReputationRep:
    1) Play football Manager
    2) Get fired from managing your favourite team
    3) Halve this
    4) Square root that
    5) PMS.

ReputationRep:
    When I'm pms-ing I get quite bad mood swings. A typical example is last month when I yelled at my dad for nothing then ran out of the room, slammed the door and burst into tears then sobbed for an hour because I felt really bad. I also tend to get quite bad water retention and my temperature rises, I especially notice it when I'm trying to sleep and just feel really warm.

Then there's the cramps. To me cramps feel like a constant dull ache mixed in with frequent excruciating contractions. Often I can't even stand up and I have in the past been physically sick because of the pain. I hate it when the cramps kick in and I'm not at home because the only way I can deal with them is to try to sleep through it.

ReputationRep:
    urgh, so glad i don't get anything like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roocky)

The nice doctor gives me lovely drugs for them though

the mean doctor doesn't give me drugs however yes being punched repeatedly is about right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebastienAgirl)
    the mean doctor doesn't give me drugs however yes being punched repeatedly is about right

OP is not content with this description though

and just harass him, look very woe-began, that may help.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.