Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I being overly sensitive? (Is this standard procedure?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    The other day I saw somebody about starting a childcare course/apprenticeship. When I got home she called me back up and said they wouldn't be able to take me on until I got two letters from doctors/EIP team stating that I am a suitable person to work with children.

This is because I told them I have suffered from depression. But that's it, just depression, I'm not psychotic, schizophrenic, etc. So why wouldn't I be "suitable" to work with children? I feel humiliated and upset that they think I might hurt the kids or something.

For the last 4 months I have been working in a cafe and I often interact with children there, but they didn't ask for any letters.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, all mental health issues tend to get grouped together, although it is partly for your benefit. Whilst they don't want you to hurt the kids, they also don't want the kids to make you worse. Some people with depression are not well enough to have any job, particularly a demanding on with study, or if your depression was caused by a child related incident (eg your own child dying) then it wouldn't b a healthy situation for you to be in.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I think it's because people who do become depressed and suffer from depression can be a bit unstable at times. I know so because i have bipolar disorder.

Usually they expect you to be stable for quite some time. But yeah, do understand that with depression you can be quite unstable and unreliable... it's unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fail Whale)
    The other day I saw somebody about starting a childcare course/apprenticeship. When I got home she called me back up and said they wouldn't be able to take me on until I got two letters from doctors/EIP team stating that I am a suitable person to work with children.

This is because I told them I have suffered from depression. But that's it, just depression, I'm not psychotic, schizophrenic, etc. So why wouldn't I be "suitable" to work with children? I feel humiliated and upset that they think I might hurt the kids or something.

For the last 4 months I have been working in a cafe and I often interact with children there, but they didn't ask for any letters.
    wait til they insist on a police check as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fail Whale)

Read over what you just said: you've just done the same thing it sounds like they've done. They herd certain words and made assumptions based on their impression of what those conditions means. You've just done the same thing for psychosis and schizophrenia - having either of them shouldn't automatically mean people can't work with children but when this is applied to you you complain about it (rightly I should say but still with double standards).

Sorry if this sounds like I'm attacking you lol I'm not doing that I'm just trying to explain what came to my mind when I read your post. I'm sure you meant no offense to those people.

However, if you're with the EIP team it does then it's not sounding like "just depression".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.