The Student Room Group

How to stop things being awkward when talking to girls?

I am going to have a few ladies round for tea with my chums. I feel ever so silly however, any tips for making my evening a success? My chums aren't used to speaking to ladies.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Even if you don't fancy them?
Reply 2
Original post by No Man
Even if you don't fancy them?

Yes...
Reply 3
why cant you just talk to them like you would to your guy friends ? just stop thinking oooo **** im talking to a girl and just talk
tv shows can be good common ground to start off on. We're not completely obsessed with fluffy kittens* and clothes and pink y'know. So start up a conversation on the last episode of The Apprentice for example. Most young people watch it.

*yeah, okay I have a thing for kittens but that's the exception rather than the rule.
Reply 5
I know how you feel.
I can't really get around it very well either.
Just try and think of them as people not as 'girls', and just try to relax when talking to them, always have something to talk about because if you stand there in an awkward silence then that's bound to make you feel even more awkward xx
Don't overthink it. For example, don't try and approach the situation with a list of tips you accrued from a internet forum on how to talk to girls. They're just people, chill your beans and talk like you would to anyone else.
Original post by Wodeford
I always feel really awkward when talking to girls. I think it's a confidence thing. Help? :frown:

Shyness and modesty around the opposite gender is a good and rare trait. Don't change that! :smile:
Just treat them the same way you treat your guy mates...
Original post by bluebell100
Shyness and modesty around the opposite gender is a good and rare trait. Don't change that! :smile:

Are you on crack?
Reply 11
Farting works for me...
Reply 12
lol that reminds me of rajesh from the big bang theory ! :P

na seriosly.. i know what your problem is I had that aswell... You just need to stop thinking about what you say.. because its not that important... the only important thing is that you say something !

Its only the first 10 seconds and after that you should feel alright... try not to face the total silence.. thats the point thinks get akward.. And ofcourse don't forget to smile !
Reply 13
practice. the more time you spend with girls the easier it will get.
It really is as simple as that
Reply 14
I'm interested to know a.) when was your last relationship b.) how did it start.
Reply 15
RELAX

all there is to it really
me too
Relax and be confident.
Reply 18
Original post by Wodeford
2 years ago, a girl from my English class.

And how was conversation when you started speaking with that girl for the first few times?
Original post by jakemittle
Are you on crack?

haha :smile: I liked dat comment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending