Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression (inspired by some other thread I just read) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Depression really is a loose term. When I was at school, it seemed all of the emo/goth kids were depressed, hanging their head low, kicking their feet into the ground, covering their face with hair. But how many of these were actually DEPRESSED? It seemed they convinced themselves they were depressed as opposed to actually feeling it.

Is depression like a switch, that flicks on after someone suffers a loss (death) or a major realization (pointless existence)? Can depression be overcome?

ReputationRep:
    There is no one cause of depression. Some people think that it's caused by a lack of serotonin in the brain. From a psychological point of view, depression is to do with having negative feelings about yourself and the world. Usually there is a loss of interest in usual activities and fatigue.

Most of the emos/goths won't actually be depressed.

ReputationRep:
    Most of us that really are depressed don't go around advertising it like worthless ******s.

Yeah, it's totally 'like a siwtch'.

****ing Christ.

ReputationRep:
    I got over the theorising about depression when I was about 16.
    I think everyone else did too when they realised in most of cases, depression is this strange thing called life. Deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    If depression was like a switch, then you'd just start taking pills or thinking more positively and everything would magically fix itself. That doesn't happen if you actually suffer from depression which has been diagnosed. It can also come about for any reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Most of us that really are depressed don't go around advertising it like worthless ******s.

Yeah, it's totally 'like a siwtch'.

****ing Christ.
    Completely agree.
    I was depressed several years ago for a few years, and the last thing I wanted to do was talk about it! And it was not a switch at all for me, but very gradual and slow. I can't remember it starting, and the process of me getting "better" was extremely slow too; it's only now that it's over that I can conciously think "I was depressed". At the time, it just never occured to me.
    I guess I just believed deep down that I would never be happy, thus it was not depression, but simply me and how things were, if that makes sense.
    (Of course there was a lot more to it, I'm saying I was depressed because of of thinking that, that was the tip of the iceberg).
    And I'm sorry, but people who say things like "deal with it" or "get over it" really need to open their eyes to the real world. Complete and utter ignorance. I wish it was that simple.

In contrast I know many people who are so flippant about it, or post attention seeking things on the internet, or heck in person, or are all "I'm so depressed atm" when they're just a little bit blue, and it drives me bonkers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.