Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats More Important GCSE or A-Levels? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whats more Important GCSE at high school year 11 or A-levels at college/sixthform?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    More important for what?

Assuming just "in general", A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    A-levels, really. They're the stepping stone to university, after all.

ReputationRep:
    well it must be A-levels.. they get you into uni, are more in depth etc

ReputationRep:
    depends on the context, i asked a teacher and she said straight away GCSEs

remember 50% of people dont go to uni and getting 5 A*-C GCSE grades is vital for them

but if you have every intention of going uni, then id say they are equal, cant do A-levels with GCSEs afterall

ReputationRep:
    I would say a-levels because they're a stepping stone to uni/job but then again gcses are a stepping stone to a-levels...
    So both are important.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

So the stepping stones to A-levels are GCSE
    The stepping stones to a '' Accepted in uni'' is good a-levels.

So both.

Thanks guys!

Well, because I'm applying to uni, I consider A levels more important.

But GCSEs do have that 'ah ****, I wish I'd done better because now I'm scared that top 5 uni won't accept me and you can't really redo it' factor

ReputationRep:
      I'd say GCSEs. If you get 7+a* you're very likely to get AAB or AAA at college. It's FAR easier to go into your AS's and a uni application with lots of A*s, and it;s quite dispiriting to get 1a* and read that for most of the uni's you want to go to GCSE grades are a deciding factor as pretty much everyone applying will be predicted the standard offer (as I found out and consequently did v badly in my AS year).

ReputationRep:
      Equally important, both are stepping stones to more advanced qualifications.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by veux)
      I'd say GCSEs. If you get 7+a* you're very likely to get AAB or AAA at college. It's FAR easier to go into your AS's and a uni application with lots of A*s, and it;s quite dispiriting to get 1a* and read that for most of the uni's you want to go to GCSE grades are a deciding factor as pretty much everyone applying will be predicted the standard offer (as I found out and consequently did v badly in my AS year).
      Hi, thanks for your advice, im hoping to become a medical student leading onto a doctor. Im going to do my GCSE, and im really worried that I wont get like 7A*, I really want to get something like 8A*, is it easy or hard?

I am good at science etc but just worried.

ReputationRep:
      Well, you need decent GCSEs in order to do A levels, so GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
      FFS! why people asking such "nooby" questions on tsr. both are important, GCSE's progress to A levels, A levels leads to Uni. A levels is more decisive during Uni admission, but ur GCSE's can also play a big part if the candidates are very equal in all areas but except one was average and worked extremely hard in a levels, and the other was brilliant throughout.

RIP SHU

ReputationRep:
      I'd say A-Levels are much more important being the way into uni and a good job after all... Most people can succesfully achieve at least 5 A*-C grades at GCSE because they are very easy, I'd say its important to achieve the minimum 5 C's + but since most people do that GCSE's really dont matter that much...

ReputationRep:
      Both are very important, but employers and universitys will pay more attention to A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rahul.S)
      FFS! why people asking such "nooby" questions on tsr. both are important, GCSE's progress to A levels, A levels leads to Uni. A levels is more decisive during Uni admission, but ur GCSE's can also play a big part if the candidates are very equal in all areas but except one was average and worked extremely hard in a levels, and the other was brilliant throughout.
      RIP SHU
      That's me.

RIP RAHU

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by extricated)
      that's me.

Rip rahu :e:e:e:e:e
      u were brilliant at being crap......2a*'s alone and all b's in uni and to get rejected by all uni's snm! U treat c1 like a real test snm

rip shu :e:e:e:e:e:e:e

ReputationRep:
      I would probably add to the consensus and say A-levels.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by My Life)
      Hi, thanks for your advice, im hoping to become a medical student leading onto a doctor. Im going to do my GCSE, and im really worried that I wont get like 7A*, I really want to get something like 8A*, is it easy or hard?

I am good at science etc but just worried.
      tbh if you work hard and learn the course material it isn't very hard. Start revising well in advance and do as many exam practice papers possible. Ask teachers to mark extra past papers you've done - they might say no but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
      The higher you go, the less they look at previous things.

Which is unfortunate for me, I did badly on my A levels, but got good enough GCSEs. Oh well.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.