The Student Room Group

How do universities find things about you on the internet?

I hear some check facebook etc?
doubt they do

would take up a lot of time
I doubt most of them take the time to read your PS carefully; never mind finding things out about you on the internet.
Original post by Wodeford

Original post by Wodeford
I hear some check facebook etc?

Why? Are you scared that they may see something on the internet about you that you don't want them to see? :teehee:
Reply 4
Don't want to alarm anyone, but someone in our school received a letter from a US uni, regarding some pictures of a party he had on facebook, which made them change their mind/offer.

It was a US university though, and you should assume that this happens very rarely.

Well, just set your profile to private, and do not post embarassing photos that literally anyone can see and copy/paste anywhere they want.
Reply 5
Original post by alexmsf
Don't want to alarm anyone, but someone in our school received a letter from a US uni, regarding some pictures of a party he had on facebook, which made them change their mind/offer.

It was a US university though, and you should assume that this happens very rarely.

Well, just set your profile to private, and do not post embarassing photos that literally anyone can see and copy/paste anywhere they want.

wow wtf, im sure that crosses some sort of law/rule
Reply 6
Original post by teshnit
wow wtf, im sure that crosses some sort of law/rule

Don't they state that they have the right to change their mind for "whatever reason"? I mean, they could even change the offer without sending any letter explaining the reason for the change.

Well, you can essentially solve this problem in a matter of minutes, so I don't think it should be a serious concern.
Reply 7
You should just be careful with your privacy settings & who you add. Universities may not look but a lot of employers most certainly will.
Original post by alexmsf

Stop making up nonsense. As if that would happen in a litigious environment like the US. Every uni is wary about what they say to applicants who they reject, the best advice is say as little as possible. If you haven't rejected on grounds explicitly stated in your published admissions policy then you're open to challenge.

Tell your mate that if he really has that sort of letter, all he needs do is contact a solicitor and it won't be long before the US university offers him an out of court settlement to drop it.
Reply 9
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Stop making up nonsense. As if that would happen in a litigious environment like the US. Every uni is wary about what they say to applicants who they reject, the best advice is say as little as possible. If you haven't rejected on grounds explicitly stated in your published admissions policy then you're open to challenge.

Tell your mate that if he really has that sort of letter, all he needs do is contact a solicitor and it won't be long before the US university offers him an out of court settlement to drop it.

You seem to know more than me about the matter, so I won't argue with that. I had limited details about the incident to start with, so I suppose this is what he did, as when I asked him some weeks later, he said he had gotten things sorted out. :smile:

Though, I think we can agree that under any context/circumstance, someone should always be careful when posting such information online, as you never know if a future employer (or anyone else, for that matter) will have access to photos/videos you don't want them to see.
Its not really photos that you need to watch out for. Employers or whoever aren't going to be bothered that you were photographed at a party a bit drunk, most big employers have a lot of socials on as part of their team culture anyway. The bigger problem IMO is when google searches throw things up of what people have typed, facebook group posts seem to get stored for ages.
Eg say you've applied for a job at a bank or accountancy firm, and a google search of your name brings up your posts in the "Organise Resistance" facebook group saying "we need to mobilise to smash the government!" then they form an impression of you which is more damaging than photos looking drunk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending