Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, future student here. I was reading the Sportspark website and it mentioned that it was five pound per session peak time and about two pound off peak (to use the gym). Is it really that expensive and do students get a cheaper deal? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I think, but not at all sure, the induction is about £6 and then subsequent sessions off peak ( all the time except 10am-4pm weekdays) you pay £1.60-ish

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I pay £1.80/session off-peak. No point going on-peak.

The gym is decent enough if you're into cardio and weight machines, but the free weights section is dire. If I want to deadlift I have to use up almost of the weight plates and this isn't really fair on others. There's only 2x 25kg plates, 2x 15kg plates and it's small and annoying. Have to que for benches quite often, hit and miss with timing too.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaredss)
    I think, but not at all sure, the induction is about £6 and then subsequent sessions off peak ( all the time except 10am-4pm weekdays) you pay £1.60-ish
    £6? I was under the impression that it was £10 :confused:

I really need to get round to doing that so I can use the treadmills/cycling machines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    £6? I was under the impression that it was £10 :confused:

I really need to get round to doing that so I can use the treadmills/cycling machines.
    I'm pretty certain it's £6, I know my flatmate had to pay twice which was £12 in all, since she slept through her first induction.. the "So sorry, I forgot I had a seminar" excuse just didn't cut it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tldr22)
    Pretty sure I pay £1.80/session off-peak. No point going on-peak.

The gym is decent enough if you're into cardio and weight machines, but the free weights section is dire. If I want to deadlift I have to use up almost of the weight plates and this isn't really fair on others. There's only 2x 25kg plates, 2x 15kg plates and it's small and annoying. Have to que for benches quite often, hit and miss with timing too.
    Damn man, that sucks. What do the DB's go up to?

Also, dip station? I love me some weighted dips.

ReputationRep:
    You can pay £120 for unlimited student use for 1 year! The gym is open for students at slightly restricted times but all in all it's still cheap :-)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ^.

ReputationRep:
    There are a couple of very good gyms in the city centre with plenty of weights, should you wish to go there instead. When you live off campus you might be closer to them anyway, though a campus gym is still convenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakelee)
    Damn man, that sucks. What do the DB's go up to?

Also, dip station? I love me some weighted dips.
    40KG DB's.

As previous has said, Fitness first is easy to get to and is around 35ish quid/month and shorter (less than 1yr) contracts are available for UEA students if you're after something better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tldr22)
    40KG DB's.

As previous has said, Fitness first is easy to get to and is around 35ish quid/month and shorter (less than 1yr) contracts are available for UEA students if you're after something better!
    Or here, http://body-rush.co.uk/

Or the CEYMS in the city centre, between Primark and M&S

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys.

I think price would be an issue as a poor student (when it comes down to independant gyms). :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    Or here, http://body-rush.co.uk/

Or the CEYMS in the city centre, between Primark and M&S

Couple of quality meathead gyms there!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.