Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your Favourite Jazz Musician Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, eponymous as it is, what is your favourite jazz musician? I was hoping to gain a greater scope of Jazz as I enjoy it, and I'm slowly but surely getting into it more. I've listened to lots of Wes Montgomery, Hussein Boon and Martin Taylor, just from what I've bought from a local record store, but obviously there's a lot of the classics I'm missing. So who's your number one jazzest? Sorry if I'm taking advantage of your opinion :P

ReputationRep:
    No replies :'(

I'm not a jazz expert at all, but I like Bill Evans, Thelonius Monk, Keith Tippett and John McLaughlin (more fusion, but who carez )
    If forays into jazz rock are permitted, then any of the late 60s/early 70s Canterbury bands is big delite for me: Soft machine, egg, caravan etc.

ReputationRep:
    Bill Evans. Blue in Green

ReputationRep:
    Charlie Parker and Miles Davis <3

ReputationRep:
    Billy "No Meter" Cobham.

ReputationRep:
    Nat King Cole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarlsberg)
    Okay, eponymous as it is, what is your favourite jazz musician? I was hoping to gain a greater scope of Jazz as I enjoy it, and I'm slowly but surely getting into it more. I've listened to lots of Wes Montgomery, Hussein Boon and Martin Taylor, just from what I've bought from a local record store, but obviously there's a lot of the classics I'm missing. So who's your number one jazzest? Sorry if I'm taking advantage of your opinion :P
    The usual suspects. Duke Ellington (the Money Jungle cut was one of his best in my opinion), Charlie Parker and Miles Davis (I would've been interested to see where he went from the 90s with the rap fusion he was taking up). If you want more modern greats, take a look at the Japanese jazz scene where they're doing quite a lot of experimental stuff and the bands are as tight as ****.

Oh, and I don't know if this counts but check out Gil Scott Heron's live band (especially his 70s line up) simply because of the live chemistry/improvisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarlsberg)
    Hiromi Uehara:

ReputationRep:
    Miles Davies and Chet Baker

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.