This discussion is closed.
edufly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have to decide whether to start M1 or D1 (edexcel) now in time for the june exam.
Can someone tell me what D1 is about and what is involved. How does it compare to the likes of p1,p2 etc...

M1 seems good as it is real life questions...unlike stats where I haven't a clue what I'm doing and why.

Also...am I wrong is thinking S2 is an easy paper - look at how short the syllabus is!
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
I have to decide whether to start M1 or D1 (edexcel) now in time for the june exam.
Can someone tell me what D1 is about and what is involved. How does it compare to the likes of p1,p2 etc...

M1 seems good as it is real life questions...unlike stats where I haven't a clue what I'm doing and why.

Also...am I wrong is thinking S2 is an easy paper - look at how short the syllabus is!
On AQA, D1 was all about networks and applying algorithms to "graphs" which are a bit like maps to find the shortest route, the shortest path that goes down every road...etc. It's fairly easy stuff (far easier than anything else really).
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well, if you do physics, then you will find M1 fairly easy as it relates to PHY1 with s,u,v,a,t equations. its all to do with real life examples so u understand what you are trying to solve. but as with all the maths's, it is not like the calulations in physics, they are harder, you have to use algerbra and substitutions and stuff like that. interesting.

D1, is basically algorythms and mapping and problem solving.
You learn 3 algorithms for sorting numbers and data. (bubble sort, quick sort and binary search). then you have algos. for finding out shortest rout from A-Z, where there are many routes to take. in this way, D1 relates to real life, as if you wanted to, you could map out a map of your local area, and coud very efficiently calcuate the shortest route from your house to work, school, shops, etc. be aware though, although the Q's in the book seem easy, the ones in the exam are much harder, do loads of practice Q's if you do decide to do it.

choice is for you. both relate to real life. M1 and D1 are equally wothwhile, but if you do physics then M1 will be good for you.
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

D1 is so boring. Don't do it If you like pure, M1 is much more rewarding.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I disagree, i love pure maths but hate mechanics and i do physics and chem as well, would have loved to have the choice to do stats or discreet
watford110
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
I disagree, i love pure maths but hate mechanics and i do physics and chem as well, would have loved to have the choice to do stats or discreet
Definately do D1

M1 is *****!
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by watford110)
Definately do D1

M1 is *****!
M1 is harder than D1, that is true, though for Cambridge Physics they would like a few modules in Mechanics than in a Physics A level itself.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
M1 is a ***** M2 is better, i wish i'd taken maths n stats rarther than maths n mechanics, or even better would be pure and more pure which you cant do at our college without taking further maths then you just do loads of all of them
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
D1 is easier, except you have to do coursework (or at least I did - I'm on OCR)

If you're doing Physics, you'll ace M1 though, you don't even do all the stuff you do in Physics module 1, although the questions tend to be a little more time consuming.

I'm doing Further Maths AS so I've done both.

By the way 2776 - Cambridge does Natural Sciences, not staright Physics.

M2 is harder than M1 though.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by androidkiller)
D1 is easier, except you have to do coursework (or at least I did - I'm on OCR)

If you're doing Physics, you'll ace M1 though, you don't even do all the stuff you do in Physics module 1, although the questions tend to be a little more time consuming.

I'm doing Further Maths AS so I've done both.

By the way 2776 - Cambridge does Natural Sciences, not staright Physics.

M2 is harder than M1 though.
can i just ask, i am doing AQA Physics and AQA Mathematics (Pure and mech).

How much does M1 overlpa with the Mechanics Module done in Physics, roughly?

thanks.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do OCR and yes a little you do a lot more in mechanics.

In reply to androidkiller i would say that you wont ace M1 if you do physics i found M1 really hard but physics easy
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Go for M1 - if you do physics then you'll find it a doddle. It is more highly regarded than D1, if people know that you do it of course. Decision maths is 'cop-out maths' - it's rather superficial.

A short syllabus does not imply easiness. Well, since it's a stats module...

J.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've just spent a term learning M1 (did my exam last week - OCR though) and if you have done Physics I think you will find it pretty easy. The students who didn't study Physics AS found it hard to pick up the concepts quickly but they managed in the end. I found it hard at the beginning (for some reason I found projectiles very difficult) but once you practice you'll be fine

My school also offers D1 and the general feeling among the students who study it is that it's easy (but the exam questions can be quite confusing) and a bit pointless. All I ever see them doing is drawing weirdo diagrams

My personal opinion would be to definitely go for M1 if you study Physics. Otherwise you may find D1 easier. I would really recommend M1 though, I (finally) started enjoying it after the initial struggle
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
can i just ask, i am doing AQA Physics and AQA Mathematics (Pure and mech).

How much does M1 overlpa with the Mechanics Module done in Physics, roughly?

thanks.
They overlap in vector equations, suvats equations etc. Not much, just basic M1.
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
M1 is okay - its not too tough when you get the concepts but also you don't get to do any fun mechanics stuff like circular motion, dhm until M3/4 - but as someone who has done M1 and most of D1 I would say do M1 because its generally more interesting
paymaster
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do further maths through Edexcel, and have done both M1 and D1.
D1 is extremely dull. It's crunching through algorithms the same way a computer would do. It is, however, very easy for that exact reason.

I'd choose M1 tho, especially if you've done Physics. M1 was easier than most of the Mechanics in my Physics AS. There's only so much you can do in an M1 question. Resolve forces, conservation of momentum, equations of motion. So it's not too bad.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (387)
67.19%
No (189)
32.81%

Watched Threads