ReputationRep:
    Sometimes and no

ReputationRep:
    Depends how long the distance is.
    I personally wouldn't even bother.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    There's a support thread stickied at the top of the forum

Personally I think it can work but it takes a lot of work and trust. One of my uni tutors has a long distance marriage with her husband, who lives in another country. Sometimes she goes a month or more without seeing him. We all think it's bizarre but it does work, in some strange way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe Weavurrr)
    Depends how long the distance is.
    I personally wouldn't even bother.
    Like what if you're proper in love and desperately wanna be with the person.. and it's the same for the other?? any ways that it might make it work?
    hmm england - south africa?

(Original post by rugbyladosc)
    Sometimes and no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hot.Chocolate)
    Like what if you're proper in love and desperately wanna be with the person.. and it's the same for the other?? any ways that it might make it work?
    hmm england - south africa?

a relationship to me is being able to touch each other, feel each other, spend time in each others company, experience new things together and just connect on a different level to that of the rest of the people in your life.

I wouldn't be able to do that if I was half way across the globe to my "other half."
    Unless your so in love that you've literally gone insane. Sounds like a no brainer.

ReputationRep:
    a relationship to me is being able to touch each other, feel each other, spend time in each others company, experience new things together and just connect on a different level to that of the rest of the people in your life.

I wouldn't be able to do that if I was half way across the globe to my "other half."
    Unless your so in love that you've literally gone insane. Sounds like a no brainer.
    i know what you mean but i think it's going to last for 3 months. he might come back in february. do u think it's worth it?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hot.Chocolate)
    i know what you mean but i think it's going to last for 3 months. he might come back in february. do u think it's worth it?:confused:
    He might? Depends to be honest. How much you love him and whether or not your happy to close yourself off to everyone else for a "he might come back".

I'd be mighty impressed if you did. That'd be some dedication!

ReputationRep:
    He might? Depends to be honest. How much you love him and whether or not your happy to close yourself off to everyone else for a "he might come back".

I'd be mighty impressed if you did. That'd be some dedication!
    he might yeaah i think im acting weird cos it's my first long term rship... a yr and a half n sum :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I wasted my first two years of uni being tied up with a girl I only saw every month and half or so..

Now it's over it just I really really regret not splitting before I started.

ReputationRep:
    it can work. people do it all the time, dont give something good up so easily, you might as well give it a go. otherwise you'll always wonder what if...

ReputationRep:
    They're so boring for me. I only had them in the past because I don't get that into people that much so I'm quite happy seeing someone once every two months. Now I wouldn't bother. A long distance relationship is like not being in one...................unless you're properly in love.

May work for you, but for me, never again. Not on a serious level anyway

ReputationRep:
    For me, it's an obvious no.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen and read about them (but never been in one myself); they succeed if there's an implicit understanding between the two parties that they can see other people if and when they absolutely have to in order to get their needs (sexual, emotional or whatever) met. However, in the vast majority of them this understanding is not shared so one the partners ends up ending the relationship with the other, and starts a new one with a new partner. Most of the time, this will be someone they have cheated with - it gives them the chance to trial the prospective new partner before making any decision.

And sadly, even if it does work out things often go wrong when they meet up again. The problem is that one or both partners only remember all the good stuff about the other. Soon they get the bad stuff again, they feel disappointed that the person wasn't as good as they had idolised them to be, the pedestal falls and the relationship usually fails.

Quite a miserable post I suppose but that's my impression. So, not 'no' but 'very rarely'.

ReputationRep:
    I think they can work, but it's rare for it to last I think. I've never been in one though!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.