Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's absolutely ****ing insane, just found out in the 1700's one of my dads relatives had an illegitimate child, but gave him her surname, and also named all her others children with her surname whom she had with another guy... so really my surname isnt what it is supposed to be and should be this mystery guys surname that we are trying to find out!

Anyone else had any juicy stories?

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, Is ancestry easy to use etc. Cause I have a feeling if I sign up it'll just return 'sorry no results found' and i'll be left out of pocket.

Also, how do you know its legit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
    Out of interest, Is ancestry easy to use etc. Cause I have a feeling if I sign up it'll just return 'sorry no results found' and i'll be left out of pocket.

Also, how do you know its legit?

I think it's a bit hard at first because you get overwhelmed but it gets easier! They are doing a 14 day free trial where you can cancel before it ends which is what I'm doing. I am assume you're asking if it's legit interms of whether the person you think you have found is the right person? Well if you look at their siblings and spouses you will be able to confirm it and it has marriage birth death indexes certificates and military records, the works.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's dad traced his side of the family back to around 1650, I highly doubt this will do any better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting mine now

Just to be certain: We CAN cancel this before the payment is taken right? Also; how :P?

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting mine now
    Let me know how you get on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Let me know how you get on!
    Could you quickly answer my edit

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting mine now

Just to be certain: We CAN cancel this before the payment is taken right? Also; how :P?
    Yes! You go onto your account and do it or ring a number

ReputationRep:
    I did the free trial and cancelled before they charged :P As far as I got, it was really cool (although my line runs dry quite quickly 'cause most of my family are in Norway and the other side is full of adoption and stuff)

I got back quite a way following my great-grandmother. The most interesting thing was all the records of the jobs they had.

Good fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miahrose)
    I did the free trial and cancelled before they charged :P As far as I got, it was really cool (although my line runs dry quite quickly 'cause most of my family are in Norway and the other side is full of adoption and stuff)

I got back quite a way following my great-grandmother. The most interesting thing was all the records of the jobs they had.

Good fun.
    Same Mine were things like dress-makers labourers in the market , plasterers etc.

EDIT: Just found out my great grandfather fought in WW1 Gonna try find out what he did..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Same Mine were things like dress-makers labourers in the market , plasterers etc.

EDIT: Just found out my great grandfather fought in WW1 Gonna try find out what he did..
    Mine were all farm labourers or labourers & dressmakers for really rich estates in the country!
    I think one of them was as young as 12!

ReputationRep:
    I used that! I got pretty far back, I'm going to sign back up again after my exams, when I have time! I found out that my grandma's grandma was Canadian. There's some sort of fishy business going on because the names of the family just randomly changes and I'm not sure why. Oddly enough though, I can't find ANYTHING on my Irish side! Not a thing, can't get any further back than the stuff I know myself, my mum can't even be found on the records. :confused: Has anyone else had this problem?

ReputationRep:
    Not really, but I'd love to try and find out more. I hardly know anything about my family.

My dad has traced his family back to the 1700's, in Northern Norway. And I might be related to a famous Norwegian poet, but that's about it,lol.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I might try this free trial, I've always wanted to do a bit of genealogy

ReputationRep:
    No need I know my family history. They were either farmers or merchants or african explorers/missionaries. Crazy times.
    Fair amount of my family history is readily available on google with no need to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm using ancestry.com at the moment and have no idea how you go about finding the information out that you guys have found. All I can find is a basic record which says the name and birth/death/marriage date. Any tips?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mine were all aristocrats.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit confused.
    Just signed up, put my details etc. in, used a valid email address, now it's refusing to let me into my account and hasn't sent me any emails to activate it, I didn't get a chance to pick a username or password?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.