Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone, hope this is the right forum to put this in!

On Monday I received an offer for a 12-month placement based in Sheffield from next August. Being eager I'm already thinking ahead for accommodation :P

I have never lived in the city before and I must now start looking for a small but nice flat in a reasonably nice area.

What are the nice areas of Sheffield and where should I avoid? I guess my budget would be between £400 and £500 per month, and the office I would be working at is in the Nether Edge/Heeley area. Is this area quite nice? Please excuse my ignorance as I have little or no knowledge of the specifics of each area of the city!

I'm not looking for leafy suburbs as such just somewhere nice and pleasant and friendly with good local amenities within a reasonable distance of the office.

Any sensible guidance would be gratefully appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, can you be more specific about the location of your office? Heeley and Nether Edge are in my opinion quite far apart! Nether Edge/Ecclesall Road are nice places to live - quite studenty so plenty of amenities. Are you wanting to live alone or in a shared house? That might be a more affordable option.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid Broomhall (not to be confused with Broomhill), it's an absolute dive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabulous_girl)
    Hiya, can you be more specific about the location of your office? Heeley and Nether Edge are in my opinion quite far apart! Nether Edge/Ecclesall Road are nice places to live - quite studenty so plenty of amenities. Are you wanting to live alone or in a shared house? That might be a more affordable option.
    Next to Meersbrook Park, the nearest main road is A621 Abbeydale Road. On Google Maps the office is right next to the title "Nether Edge" so I assume it's more that area than Heeley!

Probably live alone as am tired of student accommodation after two years, and prepared to pay extra for that as per my budget. Is there a lot of student accommodation in that area though? I guess I would be prepared to; I had visions of it all being in the city centre around the University - maybe that's just me being silly, coming from Loughborough everything is around the campus!

Would love some advice on this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabulous_girl)
    Nether Edge/Ecclesall Road are nice places to live - quite studenty so plenty of amenities.
    OP should avoid Ecclesall Road. It's one of the worst areas for crime because it's a student area and it's also a nightmare in the morning for traffic and parking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    OP should avoid Ecclesall Road. It's one of the worst areas for crime because it's a student area and it's also a nightmare in the morning for traffic and parking!
    Oh ****. I'm living there next year :K:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popdrops)
    Oh ****. I'm living there next year :K:
    Don't worry, you'll be fine - I walk down there a lot so it's not dangerous! I realise that I've worded my previous post a bit badly so I'm sorry!

What I mean with 'crime' is that because a lot of students live there and hang around there (restaurants etc) it's one of the worst areas for theft. If you use your common sense by doing all the basic things like checking widows/doors are shut and locked and valuable items out of sight, you should be fine.

As for traffic, it's really busy at peak times because there are two schools close-by added to the fact that its very near to the city centre If you're planning to drive next year, make sure you check the parking regulations around there because I've noticed traffic wardens lingering in the mornings

On the whole I think its a decent area for students because it is a very social area that is close to both unis, the city centre and has it has a supermarket (Waitrose) but if I was the OP I would think of moving somewhere a bit further out from the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    Don't worry, you'll be fine - I walk down there a lot so it's not dangerous! I realise that I've worded my previous post a bit badly so I'm sorry!

What I mean with 'crime' is that because a lot of students live there and hang around there (restaurants etc) it's one of the worst areas for theft. If you use your common sense by doing all the basic things like checking widows/doors are shut and locked and valuable items out of sight, you should be fine.

As for traffic, it's really busy at peak times because there are two schools close-by added to the fact that its very near to the city centre If you're planning to drive next year, make sure you check the parking regulations around there because I've noticed traffic wardens lingering in the mornings

On the whole I think its a decent area for students because it is a very social area that is close to both unis, the city centre and has it has a supermarket (Waitrose) but if I was the OP I would think of moving somewhere a bit further out from the city.
    Aha, no worries. I'm always 110% paranoid anyway :closedeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudleyian)
    Hi there everyone, hope this is the right forum to put this in!

On Monday I received an offer for a 12-month placement based in Sheffield from next August. Being eager I'm already thinking ahead for accommodation :P

I have never lived in the city before and I must now start looking for a small but nice flat in a reasonably nice area.

What are the nice areas of Sheffield and where should I avoid? I guess my budget would be between £400 and £500 per month, and the office I would be working at is in the Nether Edge/Heeley area. Is this area quite nice? Please excuse my ignorance as I have little or no knowledge of the specifics of each area of the city!

I'm not looking for leafy suburbs as such just somewhere nice and pleasant and friendly with good local amenities within a reasonable distance of the office.

Any sensible guidance would be gratefully appreciated!
    Netheredge is overall a nice place to live, Osbourne Mews is a large housing estate that caters to the lower-middle classes, all very swish with electronic gates and the like. It's in Netheredge and not far from your office.

Avoid Student areas like Eccie Rd like someone mentioned as it's rammed in the morning. That road is so badly designed, it can easily take 10-15 mins to drive through it during off-peak times. There's plenty of places to look at but for any realistic recommendations I'd need to know your price range for rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS17)
    Netheredge is overall a nice place to live, Osbourne Mews is a large housing estate that caters to the lower-middle classes, all very swish with electronic gates and the like. It's in Netheredge and not far from your office.

Avoid Student areas like Eccie Rd like someone mentioned as it's rammed in the morning. That road is so badly designed, it can easily take 10-15 mins to drive through it during off-peak times. There's plenty of places to look at but for any realistic recommendations I'd need to know your price range for rent.
    Hi there, thanks for your comments, much appreciated

Well my take-home pay after tax will be just over £1100 per month; so I'm not sure how much I can afford/would want to spend on rent alone; assuming it is exclusive of bills, internet, council tax etc or does it depend on the agreement with the landlord? But clueless about it as I've stayed in halls for two years which is one fixed price for everything and you click a button on the internet to get a room

But I'm guessing anything from around £350 to high £400's per month; with a preference for a 1 person "professional let" flat rather than a studenty place.

Any more help & guidance would be appreciated. With the office being in between the A621 and A61 main roads I am also unsure of whether to live to the right side of the office (as you look at the map) around Meersbrook Park or the other side.

ReputationRep:
    I live near bingham park, its a really nice area, but yeh as others have said eccy road is rammed during rush hour, but you could probablly walk to work if you lived round there. I live in a shared house so cant really help you on the cost side of things, and i've never been to the area on the right of the map.
    But yeh around Bingham park is a nice area and AVOID BROOMHALL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoombini)
    I live near bingham park, its a really nice area, but yeh as others have said eccy road is rammed during rush hour, but you could probablly walk to work if you lived round there. I live in a shared house so cant really help you on the cost side of things, and i've never been to the area on the right of the map.
    But yeh around Bingham park is a nice area and AVOID BROOMHALL!
    Out of curiosity why avoid Broomhall? =o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popdrops)
    Out of curiosity why avoid Broomhall? =o
    I've heard its a bit dodgey i think there has been some gun crime with gangs and burglaries and just stuff like that.
    I could be wrong though thats just what ive heard, haven't had any personal experience of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.