Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I get faster? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I need to get faster for rugby. I'd like to improve my top speed and my acceleration if possible but a higher top speed is my real goal.

What kind of training should I do? Does anyone have a training program for this?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Have a read of this article.

ReputationRep:
    Run with a parachute tied to your back.
    That will help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killa78)
    Run with a parachute tied to your back.
    That will help
    Thanks but I don't think I do have a parachute lying around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilko1900)
    Thanks but I don't think I do have a parachute lying around.
    Lol my bad

ReputationRep:
    start weight training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    start weight training
    Can you be a bit more specific? What kind of exercises should I be doing? Also, I'm not a member of a gym so I'm looking for exercises to do at home/outdoors without weights or machines.

ReputationRep:
    Can you be a bit more specific? What kind of exercises should I be doing? Also, I'm not a member of a gym so I'm looking for exercises to do at home/outdoors without weights or machines.
    I dunno what exercises you would have to do for sprinting, but you must make sure you do your exercises as fast as possible in explosive movements to stimulate the growth of those fast twitch fibers

Cos we use our legs so much they're full of those red slow twitch high endurance fibers, for speed and power you're gonna need to try your best to develop the fast twitch ones

ReputationRep:
    HIIT. Google it.

ReputationRep:
    power cleans
    power snatches
    heavy squats
    Hiit

Brilliant stuff..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSingh23)
    HIIT. Google it.
    no

the key to sprint training is quality speed work. that is, doing sprints at or near maximum effort with plenty of recovery. HIIT is the opposite of this since most of the work is done under great fatigue.

if you're not very strong already, you will probably get the most improvement from getting stronger. basically improve your squat and bench. Try to sprint before you do weights if this is possible, or at least not directly after weights

there's no need for any gimmicks like parachutes. people will probably recommend you do plyometrics, but these aren't necessary either and should be introduced with caution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    power cleans
    power snatches
    heavy squats
    Hiit

Brilliant stuff..
    cant advise him to squat at this age ! our bones and tendons are still developing !! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tany_rulz786)
    cant advise him to squat at this age ! our bones and tendons are still developing !! lol
    Plonker

ReputationRep:
    if you're over 14 (me being conservative) you're old enough to squat, this nonsense about weight lifting being bad for growth is such a pernicious and misguided lie

ReputationRep:

?

:erm:

ReputationRep:
    Plyometrics
    Weights
    Core strength
    Tecnique
    Raw speed improvement (e.g. 6 x 60m with walk back recoveries)

ReputationRep:
    Get down to a running club and get them to help you with your technique.

ReputationRep:
    run hills
    run with a weighted vest/tyre attached
    plyometics
    run with heavy boots on

ReputationRep:
    I need to get faster for rugby. I'd like to improve my top speed and my acceleration if possible but a higher top speed is my real goal.

What kind of training should I do? Does anyone have a training program for this?

Thanks in advance.
    Firstly how old are you?

Although I agree that squatting young is acceptable I do think that nailing the technique is key and that usually requires a coach. I see rugby league players everyday from either the academy or first team at a super league club who still have fundamental problems with their lifting techniques.if your under 16 I certainly wouldnt be worrying about how fast you are and be more worried about getting mobility and stability around the joints (ankle, knee, hip, t-spine and shoulders) to prepare you for serious lifting when your older.

If you do want to work on your sprinting have a look on google about sprint mechanic drills, to get whatever power you already have to be used efficiently.

Ill post a proper reply when im on the computer because my phone is rubbish for the internet.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance.
    Firstly how old are you?

Although I agree that squatting young is acceptable I do think that nailing the technique is key and that usually requires a coach. I see rugby league players everyday from either the academy or first team at a super league club who still have fundamental problems with their lifting techniques.if your under 16 I certainly wouldnt be worrying about how fast you are and be more worried about getting mobility and stability around the joints (ankle, knee, hip, t-spine and shoulders) to prepare you for serious lifting when your older.

If you do want to work on your sprinting have a look on google about sprint mechanic drills, to get whatever power you already have to be used efficiently.

Ill post a proper reply when im on the computer because my phone is rubbish for the internet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.