Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically I'm looking for reassurance.. I have been getting a lot of chest pain this usually in the centre of my chest, radiating to my back, along with dizziness and a lot of wind/indigestion/heartburn. I went to see my GP about a month ago due to palpitations and they did an ECG - 3 of them to be honest as the first two showed tachycardia - and she said it was absoultely normal and safe. It then kind of got better - and I relaxed, until a week ago this chest pain started - and I got sent up to A&E. They did an ECG and again said it was fine. I started to relax again - and then got pains in my left arm/fingers.. Went back to see my GP yesterday who said she's sure it's not my heart but I can't stop worrying, Ive taken an alkasentz and still feel sore - It gets worse after physical activites like sex, and when I'm lying down.The worst was when I was carrying my laptop to uni and I ended up with a really sore chest, tired and out of breath - when I sat down for class I couldn't stop burping.. My mum's not too thrilled with me having phoned nhs 24 last week - as obv they sent me to A&E at three in the morning, but I'm dead scared - you hear about peopel with sudden death syndrome and that .. My left hand is getting sorer as I'm typing this.. I do have an anxiety disorder caused by things in my childhood but I'm finding it really hard to trust my GP when she says that anxiety is really all this is. And I keep googling my symptoms and coming up with angina, or heart disease I'm sorry for the long post, and I feel daft but I didn't know who else to turn to.

I know you guys aren't doctors or anything but I'm really scared and just need someone to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    is the pain right between your rib cages (so where they meet in the middle)?
    If so, you could have an ulcer.. or something strange is going on in your stomach..
    I had SOME similar symptoms.. constant pain and 'heartburn' and the doctor prescribed me PPI's which were amazing and cleared up whatever I had within a few days.. - and believe me, no other antacid or anything caused any relief what so ever.
    Did your doctor say anything about that?

I'm not saying your symptoms are unrelated, but do you think you're causing the dizziness yourself by worrying? Your anxiety is probably affecting your recovery too..

Yeah it is yeah, that is what the doctor said - that she thinks I have some kind of tummy bug - she did put me on PPIs but they made me feel really sick so she told me to stop taking them. I think I am causing the dizziness myself yeah because it only comes on when I'm really worried.. I'm sick of this though, I'm falling quickly behind at uni and am getting the point where I'm struggling to leave my room

ReputationRep:
    Ah, seriously.. don't worry. I completely understand where you're coming from.

I find it strange that she didn't try to follow up the PPI's though..
    I was under the impression that there are a lot of prescription drugs that are similar but act through different pathways - so they might not make you sick..
    Is it the same doctor that you've been to see?
    There are lot of viral infections going around (as always =P) and I know it sounds rubbish, but sometimes infections can last weeks - you have to literally wait it out.

The best advice i can give you is to stop looking up symptoms online (look up cyberchondriac on wikipedia.. haha) - i do the same thing, and it really doesnt help - 99% of the time the information you read is going to be wrong or not valid to your case.
    What have you been doing for the past few days? Relaxing? or going to Uni/trying to resume as normal?

ReputationRep:
    p.s. the other pains and palpitations/dizziness/numbness in arms/hands sound like anxiety.. as you've said - have you talked to your doctor about starting a course of anti-anxiety meds?

ReputationRep:
    i had chest pains recenlty it got to the point i went to the hospital they did chest x ray and what not they just sed it was becasue ive got a coff unkike yours mine stayed in one place my arms never sore but feels tingley if your that worried i would go back to docors and say you read about s.d.s if your coffing i could just be that if you want more info feel free to pm me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.