Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I have to argue for and against the relevancy of Freud's theories in modern scientific society with regards to personality/psychodynamics.

Where would be a good place to start? I was thinking of searching for modern research based on his main concepts eg. transference, interacting systems, stages of development and then seeing how they differ from his initial hypotheses??

Would much appreciate some ideas!!

ReputationRep:
    You could use how his psychodynamic model did not directly result in any treatments for mental illnesses and therapies based on it has had highly unpredictable results. This indicates that it may not be such a practical theory in modern society.

You could relate some of his theories to everyday things in modern society, for instance, the oral phase with smoking, the anal stage with OCD.

One thing Freud really emphasised in his theories was the importance of dreams. Maybe you could relate that to today in that modern scientific theories tend to indicate that Freud put too much emphasis on dreams and that dreams are more seen as the background fuzz of the brain rather than anything of such massive significance.

I hope that helped in some way.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What uni do you go to exactly?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.