Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok this is actually for my a level ict, but I would probably get better replies here.

Ok basically what I had to do on my page #1 was create forms, so that anyone who was looking at the website could fill in or pick an option from a drop down list form. I have done this ok but what I need to do now is:

'a button that saves the information filled in and transfers the details that have been submitted so that they are displayed on a confirmation page'

I have absolutely no idea how to do this, and neither do my class/teacher. Could anyone help me? Or maybe link me to a website, that might be easier for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YingYang)
    Ok this is actually for my a level ict, but I would probably get better replies here.

Ok basically what I had to do on my page #1 was create forms, so that anyone who was looking at the website could fill in or pick an option from a drop down list form. I have done this ok but what I need to do now is:

'a button that saves the information filled in and transfers the details that have been submitted so that they are displayed on a confirmation page'

I have absolutely no idea how to do this, and neither do my class/teacher. Could anyone help me? Or maybe link me to a website, that might be easier for me.

Your teacher doesn't know? :/

If you want to actually do something like store the information somewhere (Eg: database), email it, etc... you'll need to use a server-side scripting language, such as php or asp.

Do you have access to using a server-side scripting language? or are you just doing HTML stuff?

If you're just doing HTML stuff, there's not really any way to store it easily, since you're limited to using Javascript and it's client side, rather than server side.

ReputationRep:
    You would need to use something like php which you actually need to install on a server first; probably won't be possible in school. Is this the dreaded ICT AQA coursework by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    You could do this fairly easily with the server side language of PHP, utilising the POST or GET features. To be able to execute PHP code on a web page you need to be running server software that can properly handle PHP code, you could look into installing XAMPP, a very user friendly server that is suitable for use at home. Once you have the platform, Google "PHP Post and Get functions" and you will encounter numerous tutorials detailing how to achieve exactly what you're asking for. Hope this helps, PM me if you need more advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OceanInTheSky)
    Your teacher doesn't know? :/

If you want to actually do something like store the information somewhere (Eg: database), email it, etc... you'll need to use a server-side scripting language, such as php or asp.

Do you have access to using a server-side scripting language? or are you just doing HTML stuff?

If you're just doing HTML stuff, there's not really any way to store it easily, since you're limited to using Javascript and it's client side, rather than server side.
    No my teacher doesn't know, he is useless, he is telling us to skip the task and lose 3 marks, like the rest ok the class have done. But I don't feel ok doing that.

We are just doing basic HTML stuff, the most complex thing I have done is add some forms onto a page where users are meant to fill in their personal information. And it is the next bit I can't do in the original post.

(Original post by JackWoot)
    You would need to use something like php which you actually need to install on a server first; probably won't be possible in school. Is this the dreaded ICT AQA coursework by any chance?
    No it's OCR ICT G062 (task 3). A lot of people on the internet are having the same problem, but I can't find a clear solution, and not being experienced with this I'm finding hard to understand.

(Original post by Aaron.F)
    You could do this fairly easily with the server side language of PHP, utilising the POST or GET features. To be able to execute PHP code on a web page you need to be running server software that can properly handle PHP code, you could look into installing XAMPP, a very user friendly server that is suitable for use at home. Once you have the platform, Google "PHP Post and Get functions" and you will encounter numerous tutorials detailing how to achieve exactly what you're asking for. Hope this helps, PM me if you need more advice.
    I have been told by looking on the internet, that it can be solved by a number of ways, one which exam board mention was by PHP/ASP coding. Would you know about this?

This is getting me so stressed

ReputationRep:
    No my teacher doesn't know, he is useless, he is telling us to skip the task and lose 3 marks, like the rest ok the class have done. But I don't feel ok doing that.

We are just doing basic HTML stuff, the most complex thing I have done is add some forms onto a page where users are meant to fill in their personal information. And it is the next bit I can't do in the original post.

No it's OCR ICT G062 (task 3). A lot of people on the internet are having the same problem, but I can't find a clear solution, and not being experienced with this I'm finding hard to understand.

I have been told by looking on the internet, that it can be solved by a number of ways, one which exam board mention was by PHP/ASP coding. Would you know about this?

If you want to use serverside coding like php/asp you need to be using a server that can actually handle them. Eg: If you're just developing these HTML websites on your computer, or IT room computers you won't be able to without installing some software. You need an actual web server. You can sign up for a free website to use php on loads of websites, such as:

http://x10hosting.com/

But to be honest if you've never done anything like it before, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle just for 3 marks. Maybe look into it at another time at your leisure rather than worrying about it now.

However, if you really do want to do it I'll help you, but you'll need to tell me what it is you want to actually do with the data (Eg: store in database? email it to someone? etc...?). You'll also need to sign up to one of those free php hosting websites, because I very much doubt your school/college/whatever is going to have a system set up for you to use if your teacher doesn't even know how to do something like this.

ReputationRep:

Look up XAMPP as someone mentioned before, its easy to install and you can host a website from your machine rather than pay for hosting, and it comes with php enabled.

As for learning php i would use http://www.w3schools.com and just learn the GET and POST methods for now.

How is it actually assessed? Do you just have to screenshot everything and send it off to be marked or would they want to actually access it physically?

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit ridiculous that you've been given something like that, seeing as your site is most likely just going to be local and not actually uploaded to a remote server, therefore you can't really do anything server-side.

If it were me I'd not do it, complain to the head of ICT, or the exam board, and insist you should be awarded the 3 marks on the basis that you know how it should be done but are unable to do it with the means given to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm always sympathetic when people have a teacher who doesn't actually know what they're talking about.

As other people have said, this would be a trivial task in PHP. However, you'd need a server running PHP to use for testing and I'm not sure how they expect you to integrate that into your coursework.

If you really want to do that task, there's probably people here, myself included, who would write the PHP for you. It's a simple task for people who already know PHP.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend using ASP for school projects, I do prefer PHP but you can easily enable IIS on a windows system.

Ask your ICT Technicians to let you have access to a web folder on the server to test out your website.

And regardless of what they say, it is possible. I work with the technicians in my school and they could easily allocate you permissions to a folder on the web server.

Hope this helps.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.