Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

16 and going abroad with my friends? Problem parents? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically my friends really want to go on holiday abroad next year for a week and I'd like to come.

I'm only 16 but the rest will be 18. I think we're going to Portugal for a week, flying there and stuff. I haven't asked my parents yet but I dont think theyll let me go. They dont really trust me (even though I've never got into any serious trouble so far).

Theyre hesitant of letting me go on mixed sex sleepovers... *facepalm*

I don't see the problem though, I will be 17 when we actually go and even though I'm technically still a child all of my friends will be 18 (adults, boys and girls) including my older brother who is going. But theyll probably be worried about me drinking and the sleeping arrangements...

Anyway, even though I havent asked them about it yet, do you think them saying no to me going is unreasonable?

I'm going to pay for it myself anyway... also my brother is really trusted me them. Idk I'm just worried about asking them and how I'm supposed to argue my case.
    My friends are going to univeristy next year and its sort of a get together before they leave.

ReputationRep:
    *cough*

ReputationRep:
    Mention to your parents that it's a leaving party/event to say goodbye to your friends who are going to uni? Something like that.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel. I want to go on a trip with my class somewhere at the end of the school year, organised by us, with no supervision etc. My parents will be doubtful to say the least, as I'll be 16 versus my class being mainly 18. I don't even have a brother going.
    What class are you in? Maybe you ca argue 'choose, am I my age or what I've done' etc. :console:

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, that completley sucks if they don't let you go!

You need to come up with some strong arguments towards letting you go, and if they say no at first, don't kick up a fuss - stay calm and continue to be persistant and argue your point. Things to do;

1. Show them pictures/reviews of the hotel you'll be staying at and assure them it's safe

2. Make sure they know you're willing to fund the entire thing yourself without their help

3. Don't tell them that boys are going, just mention the girls - and maybe invite them round to your house beforehand so that your parents can meet them and start to trust them to take you away.

4. Assure your parents that the hotel will not serve you (even if they will)

5. Bargain. Say you'll get a certain grade (e.g A in maths) and if you get that would they consider letting you go as a reward as such.

Start off the conversation with something that "we've been having a look at countries and stuff because we were considering going on a holiday after exams - we thought ************ looked the best because it's safe and a really gorgeous place etc.."

Remember to listen to their arguments against it, and use them to base your arguments on to convince them to let you go!

Good luck, feel free to inbox or whatever for any other help xo

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.