Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There has been a little talk recently about Cannabis and its legal status. When I think about all the benefits, they tend to out-weigh the drawbacks. Personally I'd like Cannabis to be legalised, probably only to a degree of the likes of Amsterdam, with perhaps more regulations (not that I'm a party-pooper, but our country isn't exactly one which knows how to behave itself). These are the pros of Cannabis (I know you'll probably be aware of many of them, and you'll have to forgive me if I miss some out):

-Reduces income to criminals selling drugs, and the top chain drug barons
    -Becomes less of a source of money to Afghanistan militants
    -Gives the police more concentration upon harder drugs/other crimes
    -Social acceptance reduces the taboos behind it and takes the edge off the illegal status, meaning there is a likelyhood of less people doing it
    -To enforce prohibition costs the country massively; this money could be better spent in education, health etc.
    -It's less harmful physically to the body than alcohol
    -Continous prohibition is proving useless

I know that there are much more in terms of benefits, as I've mentioned, but here are some cons:

-Drug profit will now only come from harder drugs, which may mean there will be an increase in production and use of drugs like Heroin and Cocaine
    -Taxpayers wouldn't want to pay for the conversion of this drug to become legal
    -Can and has been shown to act as a gateway drug to harder drugs
    -To many it is socially unaceptable as it is still classified as a "drug". Many older citizens may find legalisation offensive
    -Gives Britain a bad image
    -Has been shown by evidence that it causes poor cognition
    -Can cause schizophrenia

As I've already mentioned, I'd still want Cannabis to legalised, but what do you think? What are your opinions on this on going issue?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, it can be argued that the overall effect of ganje is negative, but when ganje is illegal whilst alcohol is available to under 16's with (with a meal and an adult) completely baffles me.

ReputationRep:
    I'll post this as somebody's bound to eventually....

ReputationRep:
    Isn't California voting upon it's legal status soon? Or did that happen already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarlsberg)
    Isn't California voting upon it's legal status soon? Or did that happen already?
    Yea it did back in Nov. But the majority voted no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sykez)
    Yea it did back in Nov. But the majority voted no.
    Dang :/

ReputationRep:
    The cons shouldn't be cons. What I mean is, what you have written OP is true, but it shouldn't be. It just shows that people don't want to legalise not because they think the drug itself is dangerous, but because of assumptions about it's secondary effects, which could all easily be non existent if people weren't so narrow minded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    The cons shouldn't be cons. What I mean is, what you have written OP is true, but it shouldn't be. It just shows that people don't want to legalise not because they think the drug itself is dangerous, but because of assumptions about it's secondary effects, which could all easily be non existent if people weren't so narrow minded.
    Yeah, I know what you mean, but unfortunately we still have a monarchy in charge. Places like America can have a chance for individualist legalisation in states, and because they have no royal family. I think their "Traditional values" tend to hold a lot of social sway in many matters.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarlsberg)
    Dang :/
    The law was not really needed anyway though. If you get caught with weed you basically get a small fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    I'll post this as somebody's bound to eventually....

I'm pretty sure solvents are much more dangerous than alcohol... but they get a lower harm score because they're not used very often. I know this graph is trying to tell us that classes are flawed, but I don't think they really are, at least not the extent shown by this vague data.

If cannabis were to be inhaled liberally by almost everyone, we could have a more accurate idea of its dangers. All I know is my drunk friends turned out okay, but the potheads all became zombies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.